Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire recommendations

I'm running still on what I assume are the original tires from my 2015 Ultralite. I keep them covered and always aired correctly and for the most part look pretty good. They have about 50% tread life left and no cracking. But I'm starting to wonder if they are at the end-of-life and should be replaced?

I have a couple of in-state trips coming up that I'm going to keep things as is, but this summer I have an inter-state trip that I'm thinking maybe might be the time to swap in new tires.

What is the recommended go-to tires would you say? Run a Google search and you get all kinds of articles and feedback. I want good tires, not cheap ones.

Any recommendations?
Old 01-31-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure there are a lot of choices for "good" beyond the Goodyear Endurance. Note most ST tires are rated for only 65 mph. While that might be a good speed to limit your towing to, I don't like doing anything near the limits. The Goodyear Endurance are rated up to 87 mph, which is far beyond what I'll ever be moving.

https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/...ires/endurance

Note your tires might be a couple of years older than 2015, so it is clearly time to change. I've had tires disintegrate in a dark garage, so it's impossible to totally protect them.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm not sure there are a lot of choices for "good" beyond the Goodyear Endurance. Note most ST tires are rated for only 65 mph. While that might be a good speed to limit your towing to, I don't like doing anything near the limits. The Goodyear Endurance are rated up to 87 mph, which is far beyond what I'll ever be moving.

https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/...ires/endurance

Note your tires might be a couple of years older than 2015, so it is clearly time to change. I've had tires disintegrate in a dark garage, so it's impossible to totally protect them.
I 100% agree with you on the Endurance tires. Getting ready to start my 3rd season on them. Running ST 205-75R14.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
I'm running still on what I assume are the original tires from my 2015 Ultralite. I keep them covered and always aired correctly and for the most part look pretty good. They have about 50% tread life left and no cracking. But I'm starting to wonder if they are at the end-of-life and should be replaced?

I have a couple of in-state trips coming up that I'm going to keep things as is, but this summer I have an inter-state trip that I'm thinking maybe might be the time to swap in new tires.

What is the recommended go-to tires would you say? Run a Google search and you get all kinds of articles and feedback. I want good tires, not cheap ones.

Any recommendations?

You should have in your "Important Papers" the full DOT serial number for each tire you have. The last 4 digits will tell you the "born-on" date.

For Motorhomes RV life is 5 - 7 years with an absolute max of 10. Assuming you NEVER drove with less air than necessary to support your measured individual tire load.

For trailers life is usually 3 - 5 with again never running even 1 mile in overload.

Did you ever get a warning from your TPMS? If not then the above might work for you.

"Looked pretty good" based on who doing the inspection? What did you see when you ran the "Free-Spin Inspection I recommend in my RV tire Safety.net blog?

Or was your "inspection" just a walk around? AKA worthless inspection for predicting tire life.