Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Time for new battery - suggestions

Hi all. We have a 2018 Winnie Minnie Plus 27RBDS travel trailer which we bought new in the fall of 2018. The battery which came with it (Deka Marine Master Deep Cycle DP27, 650CCA, 800MCA, 23AMP AVE, 175MIN) has finally died, so I need to find a replacement. We camp around 3-5 times a summer, usually 4-5 days at a time, so not looking to replace it with Lithium, just something comparable. I have checked a few auto parts stores, but most of the batteries I have looked at only have a 1 to 3-year warranty. Is this the norm now? I purchased a battery a year ago for my truck and could still find one from NAPA that had a 6 or 7-year warranty. Does the battery have to be a deep cell variety, or would a comparable truck/car battery with comparable CCA's and amperage work? Just hate to have to replace a battery every 2 to 3 years unless that is just what it is nowadays. Looking for suggestions before I make my purchase. Thanks.
jak1rxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Few points about Lithium vs Lead Acid/AGM.

Lithium can discharge to Zero without harm
Lead Acid/AGM should not be discharged below 50%

Lithiums Re Charge faster than Lead Acid/AGM

Lithium's guaranteed 3x longer than Lead Acid generally.

Lithiums can be placed inside trailer, Lead Acid Cannot.

Lithiums are lighter if looking to reduce tongue weight.
Old 11-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi jak1rxman,
This NAPA Marine/RV Deep Cycle size 27 looks like a good replacement. It has a one-year full replacement should it go bad, and I believe a pro-rated warranty for longer. At $151, it isn't too expensive. I believe the deep cycle batteries never came with six or seven year warranties, as they were too often left for months on-end without any maintenance charging, which we all know kills a regular lead-acid battery.
Does your power system maintain your trailer battery while plugged into shore power? The voltage should read about 13.05 VDC when plugged-in and battery fully charged.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi jak1rxman,
This NAPA Marine/RV Deep Cycle size 27 looks like a good replacement. It has a one-year full replacement should it go bad, and I believe a pro-rated warranty for longer. At $151, it isn't too expensive. I believe the deep cycle batteries never came with six or seven year warranties, as they were too often left for months on-end without any maintenance charging, which we all know kills a regular lead-acid battery.
Does your power system maintain your trailer battery while plugged into shore power? The voltage should read about 13.05 VDC when plugged-in and battery fully charged.
Thanks, Eagle5
Any Marine/RV battery, like the Napa one mentioned above, is going to be a compromise between a deep cycle battery and a starting battery. This is confirmed by them having CCA and MCA (cold cranking and marine cranking amps) in their specs. You don't need the starting function and will be better off with a true deep cycle battery that's optimized for deep cycle use like this Renogy battery, currently available for $200. The regular price per Renogy.com is $269.99:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RFXHYK...=&sprefix=reno

https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-ag...12-volt-100ah/

Despite Bcborn's comments, I agree with you that you're not a candidate for LiFePO4 batteries at this time. Note that the term "Lithium battery" is a broad term covering several Lithium technologies, some of which aren't suitable for RV use. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If OP is not tongue weight challenged (meaning he has a payload over 1,500#), he might be better served by putting 2x 6v GC 230ah batteries as drop in replacement. They are pretty inexpensive, and if properly cared for, will last for 5 years or more. His MM surely has an absorption fridge, so his consumption is probably around 30-40ah/day if he’s not using an inverter. The GC batteries will give him the 4-5 days of camping he wants, without needing a generator. For this, he would need to purchase a bigger battery box.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I sure liked the two 6 Volt 230AH Crown Batteries had had on my old trailer. They gave me 6 - 7 days (2 lights) with a small inverter to power the TV on movie nights. I would top up with my Honda generator when down to 2 lights. Unfortunately I never had the 200 watts of solar at the time to see if it would just sail along with out ever needing the generator.

I bought the Camco double wide battery box to house the two.

https://www.camco.net/double-battery-box-55374

Unfortunately today with the 2106FBS, the weight of two 6 Volt GC batteries is not an option, so its two 12 Marine Batteries (came with trailer) for now. With the 200 watt solar, I've not had any concerns and very limited need for the generator if at all.

I have a Battle Born 100AH for my Minnkota Endura Max 55 trolling motor and absolutely love it.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Oriellys has deep cycle battery on sale for 104. Forget the amp hours but it was well over 100.
bostonmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I bought 2 6 volt like you described, they were not cheap. I think I was out the door for over $300. But I agree, 6 volt batteries are better due to heavier plates, can be discharged more than a 12 volt, so i have been told.
bostonmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I bought the 24M version of this same battery for our 2018 2250DS and really like it. https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...cycle/sli27mdc

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

You can check out Costco as well and they are good if warranty is needed.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If you go the golf cart batteries, keep in mind that they're not maintenance free unless you go with the very expensive AGM version. I found that a Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit and an accompanying Filling Kit makes it a lot easier, with no mess and no chance of getting acid in your eyes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-Fil...04RDSQ2K&psc=1

With the kit, I've done a much better job of keeping up with the maintenance than I did before I had it.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
I bought the 24M version of this same battery for our 2018 2250DS and really like it. https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...cycle/sli27mdc

I'm sure it's a good battery but it's a dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery (note the cranking amp specs). These are a compromise and, on balance you'll be better off with a true deep cycle battery.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:32 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Whatever battery you buy - and given your infrequent use - your maintenance plan should help greatly extend their life. If you store near your home and can frequently check fluid (if not AGMs) and charging levels, and have a charging source, leave the batteries in the unit. If you store away - take the batteries home - put them on a wood plank (not on bare concrete) and then check the fluid / charge level regularly to determine how often they need to be 'tuned up.'
Old 11-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm sure it's a good battery but it's a dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery (note the cranking amp specs). These are a compromise and, on balance you'll be better off with a true deep cycle battery.
I have been using a Deka Marine Master battery just like the author since 2018 and only replaced it with the Duracell battery this Fall. These dual purpose batteries work just fine and last a long time. I don't boondock and always camp with water and electricity. If you do boondock, then a more exotic battery or dual golf cart batteries may be needed.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

VMAXTANKS are reliable batteries at a decent price. https://www.vmaxtanks.com/AGM-Batteries_c_21.html
Old 11-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hi jak1rxman,

Based on the amount of outings and the length of outings I would think the Marine/RV Dual Purpose will suit you fine. You could pick up two for a decent price, throw in a small portable solar to pull you through when out for more than 4 - 5 days and you should be good. If you go with a MPPT Controller, you will get the most productivity out of the panel.

Stick with a good brand battery, reliable vender for warranty purposes and keep it charged and maintained year round.

You can buy automatic maintenance/trickle chargers fairly cheap and it will take care of it over the winter for you. I use the NOCO Genius for my two 12Volt Dual Purpose Batteries.

Poor maintenance and drawing it down too low with effect life. You should get the same life if not a year or two more than original being a Dual Purpose Battery.

The 6 Volt GC should give you more life daily, weekly and annually due to the heavier plates, but it will cost you more.

The Lithium should give you more life again, but the price goes up once again.

First and foremost look at how much you camp, your past experiences on the amount of voltage draw down you experienced daily and weekly (close to new) and go from there.

Note: As the battery aged, that draw down period likely became shorter.

Good Luck,
Old 11-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Have enjoyed reading all the suggestions regarding "Batteries". And, for what it's worth, I've had 12v wet cell batteries in our Winnebago motor home. I've had 6v-wet cell batteries. And I've had 6v AGM's too. Had lithium batteries been reliable and safe, back 10 yrs ago, as I look back on all of the $$$$ I've spent on "Other" types of batteries (of which none of them lasted much more than 3-4 years) I'd been $$$$ ahead with Lithium.
Now, I have 6-Battle Born 12v 100amp hour batteries and a Victron 3000 watt inverter/charger that I am AMAZED what I can now do with the current set up. (I also have solar to charge the batteries when "off grid")
Again, just MHO.
vectra400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I just replaced mine, went with the Walmart brand, group 29 deep-cycle Marine & RV for $110. 2-year free replacement warranty.

Had the same model before, lasted 4 years. One day I may go the lithium route, but not till those prices come down and then there's the needing a new converter business. For what I use, this will suffice.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...5-CCA/20531539
Old 11-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Just so you know; a true deep-cycle battery will not list a CCA, because it is not designed to start an engine.
This is a true deep-cycle battery: Renogy 100A 12V deep-cycle AGM battery.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery