Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
MicroMinnie 2018DS

Thickness of 2108DS Slideout Floor

Hi all,

I'm building some slideout shelves to go beneath the seats in the slideout's dinette in our 2020 2108DS. Part of the plan is to anchor two-by-fours to the floor, but I don't want to drill too deep.

Any ideas on the thickness of the floor?

Thanks,

Bradley
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
2020 2108FBS

You can easily see under the slideout when it’s retracted. I put a tape measure under the trim and got a measurement and then measured up the trim and it looks to be approx 1” thick. I am making a drawer to mount in that space and I am also going to have to anchor something to hold the drawer slides in that space.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Considered a good construction adhesive to avoid any hazards of drilling into some hidden item? To save weight, RV walls and panels are often not solid but a "sandwich" made of thinners materials which do not hold screws well.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
2020 2108FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Considered a good construction adhesive to avoid any hazards of drilling into some hidden item? To save weight, RV walls and panels are often not solid but a "sandwich" made of thinners materials which do not hold screws well.
Probably good advice on it not be able to hold screws. However, there is nothing hidden. You can see the top and bottom of this piece. I believe I will have to use screws. I will drill a pilot hole for a screw to determine it is solid. I am putting in a 30 inch drawer that will hold can good and other boxed food items.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
MicroMinnie 2018DS

Thanks for these thoughts. Since the drawer will be attached to two-by-fours, I think I'll plan on pre-drilling for the screw head to leave about one-half inch of screw into the flooring. I'll be using something like Gorilla Glue as well. That should do the trick. I bought some heavy-duty 36-inch brackets. Lots of storage space will be lost, but frankly, given the depth, a lot of it would be lost anyway.

Thanks again,
Old 07-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
2020 2108FBS

Just know if your screws go thru the floor they will be exposed to the outside when the slide is out. Also, I was a little confused when you said you were putting in shelves in this area. I take it you are putting in a shelve that’s slides out. A drawer without sides? Let me know how this goes as I am waiting on parts before I begin my drawer installation.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #7
Winnie Owner

Have a Vista class A. The slideout floor is luan over something like styrofoam so, in my case, there is not really anything to provide an anchor. Along the outer wall of the slide are bolts that go through the metal floor of the slide. Originally these were seat belt anchors (for a long departed sleeper couch). Have used those to anchor dinette seats. Adhesives are probably the way to go to secure something without using the existing bolts.
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
Hi all,

I'm building some slideout shelves to go beneath the seats in the slideout's dinette in our 2020 2108DS. Part of the plan is to anchor two-by-fours to the floor, but I don't want to drill too deep.

Thanks,

Bradley

The best place to get this information is by calling Winnebago's Customer Support Line and ask. They have an excellent track record of sending out digital drawings showing where supports, mounting plates, wires, hoses, etc are mounted and can best advise you on this.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
2020 2108FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,

Bradley
Did you install your drawers? If so did you use screws or adhesive? I am waiting on a pocket-hole jig to finish my drawers (arriving Monday). On the thickness/material of the slideout floor there has to be something solid there. The supports for the dinette are screwed into the floor. I am planning on using screws. Just wanted to know how your drawers were attached and if you are satisfied with the installation.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
MicroMinnie 2018DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Did you install your drawers? If so did you use screws or adhesive?.
Haven't got them done yet, but I am planning on both adhesive and a few screws. I'll post images once I get things done. Other projects have intervened.

Tags
slide, slideout