Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Temporary leaving TT. What are the steps?

Hello and Happy July 4th!
I’ve been in my TT for a month now, but will be leaving for 3 months and will return in Oct. for a few weeks. I’m in need of advice as to what I need to do if anything?
Re: Unplug power
Empty gray and black tanks
Turn propane tanks off.
Leave slide in or out?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not an expert here, but I'd probably:

- ensure the sink drain traps and shower drain trap were full of water (run the sinks and shower for a minute before draining the grey tank).
- ensure the toilet has a couple of inches of water over the bottom seal.
- drain the fresh water tank, the grey tank, and the black tank.
- drain all the fresh water from the plumbing using the low-point drains.
- drain the water heater.
- prop open the fridge doors.
- probably store it with the slide retracted (my preference).
- make sure the valves on the propane tanks are closed.
- unplug the power and store the cable nicely inside.
- kill the power to the slide (at the control panel by the door) and use the battery disconnect switch in the front storage compartment. Disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery would be even more effective if you're comfortable doing that.

I'm not quite sure what the best advice is for humidity control while storing a trailer over several months, so hopefully others will have some good advice for you. I close mine up completely in storage but I do visit it once a week and air it out if needed.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If water is hooked up turn water off.

After emptying Grey/Black tanks, I'd put a gallon of water in each with chemicals. I wouldn't leave the tanks empty.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Also best to remove any food that might be tempting to rodents. I hear stories that campers are being stolen at an increasing rate. Not sure how much truth there is to that but I would consider adding some type of hitch lock. I also vote to bring the slides in.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Definitely put your slides in. They're more likely to leak in the out position and you're not going to be around to spot a leak.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This is great. Thanks so much. I will feel better leaving it now.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Cant add anything to the above, all good suggestions. Due to my work schedule we did most everything above with the exception of the slides (we didnt have one) and I only turned off the battery at the disconnect. The issues I had during storage:
1) flat battery because I forgot to turn off the disconnect.
2) empty propane tank because my regulator developed a leak and I didnt turn the tanks off.
I also removed ALL food and propped open the fridge and freezer drawer.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #8

I would go in the other direction since a 3-4 month storage period (July-Oct) is different IMO than a 4+ plus storage period... so long as the OAT remains above freezing temperatures where you store your RV.

These are my recommendations which are real easy to do:

* Yes... Turn off your LP.

* Make sure your RV is air tight or you can leave your roof vent cracked open 1/4" if you have a roof cover over it. Also, if you are in a dusty area then I would keep the vent closed.

* Make sure you have now food sources open like pancake mix or flower or sugar that is not sealed. (You don't want to attract mice.) And I even has sprayed Raid around my tires to keep the ants out.

These recommendations are 180 from what everyone else has been tell you:

I would fill the fresh water tank... Fill the gray water tank with fresh water. And fill the black tank with fresh water. This will help clean the gray and black water tank, and when you get back you can empty them out.

The most important thing is to disconnect your batteries or leave a trickle-charger on them.

Alternatively, if you have solar this will also work, but in the absence of solar and 120Vac power, then you just need to disconnect your positive or negative battery terminals or both. I prefer to disconnect both battery cables, but if removing both cables are difficult, then I would disconnect just the positive battery cable.

Note: When you return to your RV 3 months later, you should be able to start your engine after you reconnect your battery cables, but it's also a good idea to have a Lithium Battery Jump Kit with you at all times for just such an emergency... or plan to call your auto club towing assist program to request a free jump.

Further, I do not trust the Battery Disconnect Switch/Solenoid (BDS) to cut 100% of your power; and your engine or house battery banks. Why? ...Most RVs still have a 0.5-1A of drain on your batteries even with the BDS off; and that will drain your leave your batteries empty in 1-2 months... unless you disconnect the battery cables as suggested above.

Alternatively, if you plan to do this often, then may want to install a separate battery off/on switch.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I prefer to disconnect both battery cables, but if removing both cables are difficult, then I would disconnect just the positive battery cable.
I was thinking it was a bit safer to go with the negative battery cable since there wouldn't be a problem if the wrench accidentally grounded while removing the cable from the negative terminal. Grounding the wrench while it is touching the positive terminal might be exciting.

Is there a reason that positive is better for a longer-term disconnect like this? I'm no expert, so wondering if there are other implications of this choice.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

What type of chemicals do you put in the tanks? The drop in kind?
Old 07-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You can, I prefer the liquid. Walmart sells it.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Ounc...32816226&psc=1
Old 07-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I agree with what has been said. One additional thing I do is I go to storage once a month to do a check out of the unit. I will bring a gallon of water which I use to add to the toilet. I also leave my slide in, all vents shut and I disconnect my battery and bring it home with me.
cjbbgmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps