Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Suite Case Solar Connection

Happy Summer To All,

We just upgraded our 24AH battery to a 100AH Renogy AGM battery, we have a Renogy 200watt solar suite case and I don’t want to remove the battery box cover every time I want to hook up the solar. Has anyone made up connectors so they don’t have to remove the battery cover every time. I know Renogy has connector kits but was wondering if all you Pro’s out there have any Ideas? Thanks in advance. Ron
RonW58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Where is the battery?
If it’s in a trailer pass -thru, you can install an SAE port in the Azdel sidewall just above the pass-thru door. If it’s on the tongue, you can still install a sidewall port, and then run the cable down to loom (and from there out to the battery box) where the other wires come into the battery disconnect, or install the port on the battery box. If you have a MH, you can install a port somewhere near the battery where you have an unobstructed wire run.

Next question is does the Solar Suitcase have a built-in charge solar charge controller?
If yes, then you can just wire the inside of the port to the battery with an inline fuse. If no, then you should install a charge controller as close to the battery as possible, and wire the wires inside the port to the inside charge controller. If this is the case, the wire from panel to charge controller does not need to be fused because it is low amperage. The wire from charge controller to battery should be fused; probably 15 amp fuse for a portable panel..

For more on inside battery with inside controller, see my photos on my albums. Ron, it’s always helpful if you describe your rig in your post or in your signature, so we know immediately the answers to these questions.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry I did not get back to you right away. Today was wash and wax the Micro Minnie day, still did not finish, lost my shade, more waxing tomorrow. Any way my battery is tongue mounted and was hoping someone had made up some kind of connector. I guess I can just cut off the alligator clips and install ring connectors and just roll it up and strap it to the battery frame.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ron,
If you want to leave your battery on the tongue, the issue of making a connection between solar panel and battery terminals is one of waterproofing. I’m assuming here, because you didn’t answer on this, that your solar panel has a built in pwm charge controller. If you don’t want to hassle with alligator clips, just buy a waterproof SAE port. The wires on the inside of the port will probably be long enough to reach the battery terminals. Simply install the port and install crimped and heat shrinked terminals on the bare wire ends. Then connect those terminals to your battery. You can cut off the alligator clips from the panel wire and crimp on a SAE plug that will mate with the SAE port. This method gives you a solid secure waterproof connection.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hey Jim,
I do have the built in controller and yes waterproofing is the issue. I have been following your post for quite some time, so your suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks Ron

Tags
solar