Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Soon-to-be Micro Minnie 1808FBS owner with questions

Hello! We are very seriously looking at a new Micro Minnie 1808FBS and have a few questions that I was hoping you all could help answer. I've been reading through the dedicated Micro Minnie thread but have yet to come across a few bits of info I'm looking for.

1. Would installing a compostable toilet be doable? If so, what would that entail?

2. Where might I find descriptions for the various packages for this particular model?

3. Are the windows double pane?

4. Can the interior walls be painted?

5. What exactly is NXG engineered frame?

6. Lastly, having never purchsed a towable travel trailer before (had a slide-in years ago), what might I expect with respect to extra cost add ons at time of delivery? I know I'll need a good WD anti-sway hitch, but what else should I be expecting a dealer to spring on me? I guess what I'm really curious about is what can I reasonably expect the difference to be between agreed upon price of trailer and 'out the door'?

Tow vehicle will be a low mileage 2018 4Runner with new shocks/struts and coils (extra capacity in rear), airbags, E-load tires, brake controller with upgraded pads and topped off with 4.56 gears.

Thanks!
J
Old 12-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome!

1. A composting toilet install is not common and I doubt anyone here has done it. Your best bet is to look at YouTube for the basics of the install and then you'd have to figure it out for yourself.

2 & 3. No double pane windows - look at the Specifications online and click "show more" and then expand All of the sections. If it's not there it's not available.

4. All interior walls of pretty much everything can be painted. People tend to do this to older TTs not brand new ones. Like the toilet... you are on your own after watching various YouTubers that painted their walls. But you'll likely not find your model TT.

5. NXG is a brand name of a frame build by a company called BAL Engineering. Here's a link to the frame's webpage. Many different TT builders use this frame. https://balrvproducts.com/products/oem/nxg/index.shtml

6. You'll need nothing but the trailer and the hitch (and tow vehicle). Tell the dealer to pound sand if he tries to add one thing to the sale. Trust us, it's all a rip off.

BUT!!

You'll need to buy a number of accessories to actually use the TT.
1. Quality dump hose and gear
2. Quality AC Surge Protector/EMS and likely one extension 30-amp cable.
3. Wheel chocks and something to level the TT (many use wood blocks, many buy specific products sold for the purpose
4. Quality WATER SAFE RV hose, perhaps an extension, as well and a water pressure regulater.

Don't buy these from the dealer - the prices for good stuff will be outrageous. Best sourced online. Again, there must be a dozen YouTube RVers with "Stuff you need" videos.

Hope this helps. Have FUN!! and here's one more piece of advice. Take your time doing the "walk thru inspection." RVers call this the PDI. Dealers want to rush. But you'll want to go slow, see EVERYTHING in action and be sure it's working before you sign on the dotted line. Dealers will say, "sign now, we'll fix it later." Nope, don't settle for that.

The next thing after you pay for the RV and take it home - go camping THAT DAY even if it's in your driveway. First, you'll get to use all those systems you just learned about and next you'll find things that are not working. One other benefit is you can head back to the dealer for a fix and or to have a second lesson on how to work everything.

As an FYI - most RVs are sold at list price minus 25% - 33%. Don't let them tell you it's list price and that's it. Also ask to the the factory build sheet and invoice so you know what the actual MSRP is. Dealers will play games with that and tell you it's $X,000 and give you 28% off of that. But the real MSRP just happens to be cheaper than what they said.

Oh, they'll want to add all kinds of "fees" too. So, we don't pay for inventory stocking or for the PDI or any other lie they tell you. Keep your wits about you at all times when dealing with the dealer.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Great info, thanks @creativepart !
Old 12-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Still curious as to where I might find what is included in the various packages? Also, is there an 'options' or upgrades list available for these new models? I did not see anything of the sort on Winnebago's site?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
Site Team

What packages?

There are only a couple of options showing on the Winnebago website. Going from memory I only saw the 15K BTU A/C in place of the 13.5K BTU unit, an RV dual fuel fridge and a convertible sofa sleeper.

I just looked it up... here are the only options listed on WBGO’s website for the Micro Mini:

Sofa Sleeper w/hutch (1808FBS, 2100BH, 2108DS, 2108FBS, 2108TB, 2306BHS only

8 cubic ft. gas/electric refrigerator (N/A 1700BH)

15K BTU A/C

If you’re thinking of extended Boondocking you will want the RV Fridge for sure.

The TT will come with only one battery installed by the dealer. These are usually FLA 12v and not super powerful deep cycles. Most boondockers change to two, larger more powerful deep cycle batteries. And a great many also purchase a portable generator to be able to recharge those batteries.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again @creativepart. Will definitely add extra battery. By packages I'm referring to the decals I've seen on the sides of MMs - 'comfort', for example. Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm imagining all of this.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Site Team

I do not see any info in Micro Minnie brochures or the website with any "packages". There does not seem to be any interior color choices in either of these locations either.

I did see a little variation in the exterior color... but those were by model year. the 2019 looks darker gray than the 2020.

I downloaded the brochures but they have so little info as to be totally worthless.

The way you can see what Options are available is to simply expand each section list on the Micro Minnie webpage:

https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...micro-minnie-1

One thing to keep in mind, the Micro Minnie is the least expensive towable option that WBGO offers. Part of keeping the pricing down is through standardization - not a lot of options or decors.

Here is a screen shot of what an expanded section looks like and how to see the optional equipment:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 9.54.28 AM.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	176105  
Old 12-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Site Team

When looking around for info for you I see new 2019, 2020 and 2021 MM 1808FBS TTs on dealer lots. Depending on the model year there are subtle changes.

Earlier models came with a standard propane/elec fridge with an optional 12v electric fridge. New models come standard the other way around - standard 12v electric fridge with an optional propane/elec gas absorption fridge. We have seen members here that have purchased a Micro Minnie recently and did not notice this change. As a result they ended up with the 12v fridge and when they want to dry camp without power find the fridge isn't very suitable for that. So, when looking at dealers inventory pay attention to that.

The all electric fridge is a better looking, better operating fridge. But it will use up your battery power overnight if you are not plugged in. To accommodate this fridge you'd need more batteries, higher total amperage, and either solar panels/controller or a small portable generator to recharge your batteries. Most of the time you'd want both things.

It seems Winnebago thinks most of their TTs are going to be used at campgrounds with power or be powered by a generator. Obviously, the microwave and A/C require power so why not the fridge, too?

Here's a video of a 2021 located in Minnesota. It has the all electric fridge.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinNM View Post
Thanks again @creativepart. Will definitely add extra battery. <clip>
I believe you want to match the battery type that you currently have for your second battery, or replace the one you have if you are going to get a true deep cycle battery. My understanding is you don't want to mix batteries (and you don't want to mix an old battery with a new one) - the charger (converter) doesn't like it and one battery won't be fully charged.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Very helpful info, thank you! And good tip on the fridge options - I'll be sure to make note.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
... It seems Winnebago thinks most of their TTs are going to be used at campgrounds with power or be powered by a generator. Obviously, the microwave and A/C require power so why not the fridge, too? ...
Just to add to this thought: I recently discovered that (in contrast to what I was told) my specific trailer does not have a furnace duct into the underbelly to heat the tanks. My suspicion is that Winnebago decided the electric heating pads (new thing for 2021b models) are a sufficient alternative. These pads have a non-trivial current draw (similar to the 12V fridge when they are all running) and would present a real problem for people who intend to boondock in cold weather.

I've inquired with Winnebago to see if this is just a build error for my trailer or their new design philosophy. We shall see if they respond.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I will address the composting toilet. I have been using one for 3 years on a 25' trailerable pilothouse boat. You would have to order the travel trailer without a toilet bowl and holding tank plumbing. This could be a problem with resale when you want to sell the unit. The foot print of the "Air Head" (model I have) is slightly larger than the standard RV commode. There are no connections under the toilet. There is avent, which requires about a 2 1/2" hole in the roof, side or floor and incorporates either a solar operated or very small 12 volt fan. This runs continuously when you are "composting" with the unit. You have to put either peat moss or coconut Croix in the bottom chamber. All who use the unit must sit down. There is a diverter to separate the urine from the fecal material. The urine tank has to be emptied periodically, I believe it holds 2 gallons.

There is no odor if properly used. The major chamber has a capacity for about a month's use by two people. We let it throughly compost and then leave it in a heavy duty contractor's bag for another 6 months--the for the flower beds.

It is used more frequently on boats and small off the grid houses, especially where there are restrictions on sewage etc. Basic cost is in the $1300 range. I have owned RV's for over 58 years and would not consider a composting head for the way we use the RV..It is too easy to "dump". (Plus we have fun hookups at our home, so we just dump when back from any short trip. )
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We dry camp so we added a second battery. Sometimes that creates a tongue weight issue. My new 2108ds was rear camera ready, which just means that there are wires. I bought the camera and it comes with a wireless screen. I am glad I bought it. The more I know about the traffic behind me the safer I feel but it has one more benefit. It works off the headlight circuit so the last thing I check is the screen. If it is on, I know I am plugged in properly and my headlights are on, another safety thing
jerilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What packages?

There are only a couple of options showing on the Winnebago website. Going from memory I only saw the 15K BTU A/C in place of the 13.5K BTU unit, an RV dual fuel fridge and a convertible sofa sleeper.

I just looked it up... here are the only options listed on WBGO’s website for the Micro Mini:

Sofa Sleeper w/hutch (1808FBS, 2100BH, 2108DS, 2108FBS, 2108TB, 2306BHS only

8 cubic ft. gas/electric refrigerator (N/A 1700BH)

15K BTU A/C

If you’re thinking of extended Boondocking you will want the RV Fridge for sure.

The TT will come with only one battery installed by the dealer. These are usually FLA 12v and not super powerful deep cycles. Most boondockers change to two, larger more powerful deep cycle batteries. And a great many also purchase a portable generator to be able to recharge those batteries.
You are spot on! I own a 2108TB. LOVE my Minnie!
taz1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinNM View Post
Hello! We are very seriously looking at a new Micro Minnie 1808FBS and have a few questions that I was hoping you all could help answer. I've been reading through the dedicated Micro Minnie thread but have yet to come across a few bits of info I'm looking for.

1. Would installing a compostable toilet be doable? If so, what would that entail?

2. Where might I find descriptions for the various packages for this particular model?

3. Are the windows double pane?

4. Can the interior walls be painted?

5. What exactly is NXG engineered frame?

6. Lastly, having never purchsed a towable travel trailer before (had a slide-in years ago), what might I expect with respect to extra cost add ons at time of delivery? I know I'll need a good WD anti-sway hitch, but what else should I be expecting a dealer to spring on me? I guess what I'm really curious about is what can I reasonably expect the difference to be between agreed upon price of trailer and 'out the door'?

Tow vehicle will be a low mileage 2018 4Runner with new shocks/struts and coils (extra capacity in rear), airbags, E-load tires, brake controller with upgraded pads and topped off with 4.56 gears.

Thanks!
J
I would not make any changes, either, until your warranty expires. I own a 2108TB. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. I added another battery and use the solar connection to keep those topped off. I also carry a gen/inverter and solar panels which I run into the TT to charge up a Bluetti 240. This trailer is awesome. It's all-weather, all-terrain and really light for my dually (I previously had a 35' 5th wheel.)
taz1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

More good info, thanks all! I think I've decided against retrofitting a composting toilet, especially now that I've been reading about alternate methods of dumping the black tank. My initial concern was that we aren't generally going to be camping at spots with a dump station, so emptying the tank could prove to be a hassle. However, I'm now seeing that there are ways to dump in your own driveway - using a macerator and a bucket, for example, miht work - although maybe a bit crude. Still figuring all that out. Anyway, moving on from the composting toilet idea. However, I will definitely replace the plastic throne with a nicer porcelain unit.

Good points on the rear camera - must have for me!
Old 12-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1357 View Post
I would not make any changes, either, until your warranty expires. I own a 2108TB. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. I added another battery and use the solar connection to keep those topped off. I also carry a gen/inverter and solar panels which I run into the TT to charge up a Bluetti 240. This trailer is awesome. It's all-weather, all-terrain and really light for my dually (I previously had a 35' 5th wheel.)
Good point. I have a bad habit of jumping right in with the mods/alterations.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hi JCin,
I would recommend you hold off on buying more stuff until you figure out how much boondocking you’re going to do, and what your average daily amp hour usage is likely to be.

We found the battery supplied by our dealer (60ah AGM) to be too anemic to boondock for more than a day because our 2108DS came standard with a 10 cuft 12v only fridge. We thought about replacing the fridge with a 12v/propane model, but for about the same price, we decided to buy LiFePo4 Batteries. Lithium is twice the price of AGM, but half the weight and last 10 times longer. We bought a Bigbattery 170ah Powerblock. It hasn’t arrived yet, but when it does, we’ll also install a 2000w inverter charger. This setup will give us enough juice to run all dc and ac loads (except air conditioning) endlessly if we run a small generator for a coup,e of hours a day.

Then the practical limit on how long you can boondock will become the size of your fresh water, grey water, and black water tanks.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Not sure if you bought your 1808 yet, but we have a 1808 and love it. It sounds like you need to walk through one to really understand the layout and quality. We have heard and noticed that Winnebago makes midyear changes to their models, so you should not assume that you are going to get exactly what is on the official website. We didn’t like one of the changes, and after 6 months, we found a trailer that addressed our issue. But it goes both ways, so if it’s what you like then consider buying the one you find.

Answer to your question about painting the interior. It is vinyl-like wallpaper, so I would not suggest painting over this. Paint won’t stick.

Extra equipment needed. We tow with a Tacoma, about the same towing capacity of your 4runner. You might want exterior mirror extenders to see better down your sides as people will want to pass your trailer. The trailer comes wired for rear view camera, nice to have. We have a brake controller and would not trailer without one. We use sway bars because the Tacoma is relatively small footprint vs the trailer. The 1808 is raised, so you will have a big mass, aka side winds.

The tow vehicle. We are considering buying up because we don’t think the truck locks in well. We find trailering in 4th gear to be optimum for gas mileage, so we have to contend with going 60mph, and people going crazy behind us. Cruise control is fine for flats and small grades, but don’t use it over passes. Since you haven’t bought a trailer before, you just need to experiment with optimizing your driving with your tow vehicle.

1808 specifics. We have modern looking handles that catch on your pants as you walk by them. We noticed that a online 2021 had different rounded handles and are considering changing ours out. The overhead storage doors don’t latch open, so it’s difficult to get stuff in and out without using your head. We are looking at some baby latches or command hooks with ponytail ties. Buy a pack of bumper guards and add them where doors hit and metal to cabinet rubbing spots. Command hooks have been added to assorted places. We sleep with our heads by the openable window, so we strung a 10’ usb cord along the underside of the storage.

The stickers are advertising of the standard features, not really options. The water system is above the winterized foam board. If you are winter camping with heat, it’s supposed to be protected. If you’re winter storing outside, flush out the system and use winterizing fluid. Unless you are in Florida or someplace that is unlikely to freeze.

Happy travels!
TeardropCmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Are there any electrical/plumbing diagrams available for the 1808FBS? (2021)
GCfront is offline   Reply With Quote