Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Solar Suitcase Travel Storage

Hi All,

For those traveling with solar suitcase units, how and where do you store them when traveling. We have a Renogy 200 watt with built in solar charger and it rides in the back seat of the truck with our dog. It will fit in our pass thru but not sure if I want it on top or underneath our storage bins. Thanks in advance. Ron
RonW58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW58 View Post
Hi All,

For those traveling with solar suitcase units, how and where do you store them when traveling. We have a Renogy 200 watt with built in solar charger and it rides in the back seat of the truck with our dog. It will fit in our pass thru but not sure if I want it on top or underneath our storage bins. Thanks in advance. Ron
On the bed (FBS), behind Jack Knife Sofa (table not used), in isle between sofa and fridge
Old 08-04-2022, 02:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

we have the same panel and so far the best place for it has been like Bcborns - it lays flat on the bed. otherwise it can sit upright between the bed & the wall, but I'm ok with it lying flat on the bed.

I wouldn't put anything besides some pillows on it, though. definitely not meant to have stuff riding around on it.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you both for the replies, we have traveled with it on the Murphy bed and that seemed to work out well and now that I have a quick connect setup on the battery that should make setup even faster. Ron
Old 08-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thank you both for the replies, we have traveled with it on the Murphy bed and that seemed to work out well and now that I have a quick connect setup on the battery that should make setup even faster. Ron
Beside the bed works too.

I too found it was a pain using the alligator clips. installed an SAE wall plug to the battery box. I have on order the Renogy SAE/MC4 splitter

https://ca.renogy.com/renogy-mc4-to-sae-adaptor/

Next up I need to determine what length/type cables I want to buy to replace the alligator clips.

https://ca.renogy.com/renogy-extensi...-power-system/

https://ca.renogy.com/renogy-solar-a...ge-controller/
Old 08-07-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I stow mine in one of the closets. It’s a soft fold-up, so it uses very little room.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Storage of solar

I have the 100watt version of that. We store it in the back seat of our crew cab. At home its in the garage. I tend to treat it like I would mirrored doors or windows. Upright not flat. Just my weirdness. Ill take a pic of my setup tomorrow when im camping. I did an easy mod to mine that u may like?
Josh
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Our Renogy 200W suitcase weighs a ton. Even slow learners get tired of muscling it up and down the entry steps. Luckily we believe it adds value. Our dinghy is a 1998 Ford Ranger SuperCab. Presently, the Renogy travels between the jump seats. We cut a 1" buckle strap in half, installed grommets near the cut ends and used the same screws holding the OEM package net to fasten them.

Slide the Renogy into place, snap and snug the buckle. Done.

So far we've not stopped fast enough to launch it through the windshield.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have two 100 watt suitcases and store one on each side of the bed works great because the only time I need to move them is when I use them.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Pictures of set up

Here is my set up. Used cheap clamps and double sided 3M tape to attach to frame. Once we set up camp I clamp the controller in so if it rains it’s protected. I also extended the cable out 30’ and left the controller closest to the battery so that there is less power loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A013A448-EA34-4906-BB6A-A9862FF78F21.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	183790   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F5B0D72-7155-4729-B6BE-42DADBF3A8CD.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	183791  

Old 08-12-2022, 10:50 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBap View Post
Here is my set up. Used cheap clamps and double sided 3M tape to attach to frame. Once we set up camp I clamp the controller in so if it rains it’s protected. I also extended the cable out 30’ and left the controller closest to the battery so that there is less power loss.
Hello Josh, are you using lithium batteries in the compartment or where did you run the SAE plug wires to get to battery on tongue. I assume the grey shielded wire on the ground is the 30 feet that is hooked to the solar panel.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

2020 2106DS solar/battery setup

Hi!
Well my trailer year 2020, came with prewired solar. Right at the spot u see it plugged in. So I didn’t have to run any wires at all. However, Winnebago partnered with “Zamp Solar” to prewire these. Zamp’s + and - terminals are reversed from any other suitcase solar plugs. I had go inside the storage cabinets you see there and cut, reverse, reconnect the wires. Now it’s all plug and play for us. As far as batteries, I just have regular old marine 12v acid batteries. My trailer came with one, on the A Frame. I went ahead and welded a little frame to fit 2 batteries up there. Bought another plastic cover and ram the batteries in series. Yes, the gray cable is to extend how far I can take the solar suitcase away from trailer. Just to give you an idea of what we can do with this setup…...
It’s just wife, me, and a boxer dogI but we have managed to camp 9 days straight, 2 showers each, in weather in the 20’s at night and the longest we’ve dry camped has been those 9 days. At night we run the furnace at 62deg and we cook completely outside and run our fridge off propane. The solar panel we have is a 100w and it will have our batteries topped off by 10am in the morning everyday. We also don’t have a bunch of electrical use inside. At night we use maybe one light and the rest of the lighting comes from these little inflatable solar lights we use. We use a portable blue tooth speaker and an old iPod plugged in for music. No tv use, no microwave use, maybe a fan or furnace. So our consumption isn’t taxing the batteries much. I have a small Honda 2000 generator but have only used it once, before I had the solar. I do love the suitcase solar cause we can move it around to follow the sunlight vs just having one on roof. Hope that helps anyone here trying to figure out usage capacities for our Winnies
Old 08-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hi Josh, Thanks for your setup pictures, we have an early 2021, 2108DS with the Zamp fitting in the roof, not sure I want to drill a hole in the side of my camper to install a SAE connector, but maybe someone on the site will jump in and say it’s no big deal to install. Thanks Ron
Old 08-13-2022, 06:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

RE: Solar

Oh ok. Ours is a 2020 2106DS. Yeah I hear ya. I don’t mind doing simple upgrades, but I won’t do some of the stuff people here or online are willing to do. Way over my skill level.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My next project is like a professional to do is install electric heating pads on my tanks. If anyone has experience in that….I’ll take some advise! Thanks
Old 08-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Hi Josh, Thanks for your setup pictures, we have an early 2021, 2108DS with the Zamp fitting in the roof, not sure I want to drill a hole in the side of my camper to install a SAE connector, but maybe someone on the site will jump in and say it’s no big deal to install. Thanks Ron

Ron, drill the hole for the SAE wall plug. It's an easy install, I drilled the rear wall for the camera, I'm now going to drill the side wall for the SAE wall plug when I get back from holidays..I'm sure you could contact Winnebago and the will give you an idea where the structural aluminum frame is so you dont drill into it.

Josh. You sound a lot like me (wife and Cocker), all cooking done outdoors, never used air conditioning. Dry camp 99.9% of the time.

I have a Honda 2200 which was used before the 200w Renogy Suitcase. I haven't had to use the generator last two trips out. I am finding it a struggle to get the panel in full sunlight everyday.

I'm going to upgrade to a Victron MPPT 75/15 Smartsolar controllrer (30% more efficient) and mount in in the passthrough and run a 40 foot #10 AWG lead from the panel to the SAE/controller. I should be able to move the panele just about anywhere to catch the sun.

Running two 64Ah Interstates on the tongue. Next year will transition to Lithium to reduce tongue weight (pulling with Tacoma). and place them inside somewhere.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBap View Post

Josh, here's a question for you. What does the wiring look like when a Minnie comes solar ready (prewired with Zamp wall plug)? Is the Zamp plug just an external 12 volt source rather than connecting to battery via alligator clips.

Or is the their internal wiring somewhere in the trailer to mount a controller and just tie in the wires. Would the battery wires and fuse block be included in solar ready. I this case the Zamp plug is to plug in the PV wires from panel.

Here is a question for the community, once I purchase my Victron Controller the idea is to mount it just inside the left pass thru door on the rear wall next to the battery disconnect. Here's the question; to avoid running #10 to battery (6 - 7 feet) could I

A)
A) Pass the wires down thru where battery switch wires came up and tie into junction box under trailer before battery as it is wired with larger fire than needed and fused.

C) Run wires from controller to fuse then directly to dual batteries on tongue.

Going this way I would install a shunt, but not something that's a must as I use very little electricity as mentioned. The Victron will tell me battery voltage, but not usage and that's OK. If the solar is not keeping up. I would run the generator to recharge.

Sorry if I'm going in circles here, I have no idea how trailers come prewired or what that entails.

Tags
solar, storage, travel