Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar on 2106DS

We just purchased a 2020 2106DS TT and it has four solar panels installed on the roof and we have no idea how they are used. We also have this in the storage bay. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2106DS.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	179121  
pamjohnnyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your solar panels are wired to a controller, maybe a Go Power as these are often used in OEM packaged systems and then it is wired to the batteries. Look around for one. Then when the sun shines the solar controller should tell you how many amps it is putting into the batteries. There isn't much more to it than that.

The solar panels will supply enough power to keep your batteries charged up without plugging into shore power or running a generator, at least as long as the sun shines.

That picture shows the back side of a wall outlet with two 110V, 15 amp plugs attached. I suspect if you had an inverter they would be plugged into the inverter outlet and then battery power would be "inverted" to 110 V AC which would power that outlet.

But depending on what you plug into it, the batteries may not last very long powering it up.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

thanks David.

I cannot find a solar controller anywhere on the unit. Is the solar power there to charge my battery?
Old 05-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, the solar output charges your coach battery. If you can’t find a solar controller that makes me ask- can you see solar panels on your roof. Maybe you don’t have a solar system

David
Old 05-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes I see the roof with four panels installed
Old 05-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Four panels on a 2020 isn't an OEM system. It sounds like the first owner installed their own setup (and then may have pulled some of it before they sold?).
Foothills83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

That is my guess as well. I want to get those panels working for us, but have no clue were to begin other than taking it to a dealer:( Any suggestion? Where could I find the wiring that comes from the panels on the roof so I can put in a controller?
Old 05-29-2021, 06:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I find it difficult to believe that someone would install 4 solar panels and not install a controller and hook it up to the batteries. Even if someone removed the controller, it would leave a hole in the interior wall somewhere.

Maybe the solar controller is hidden behind a panel somewhere. Start with your house batteries and look for a 10, 8 or maybe 6 gauge wire protected by a 20-40 amp fuse connected to the positive battery terminal. Then trace it backwards and it should lead you to the controller. Best practice is to install it near the batteries.

Good luck.

David
Old 05-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Do you know what the two 15 amp plugs are connected to? I'm thinking that one of the plugs may be connected to the output from the solar panels and the other plug connects to an AC outlet in your 2106DS.

I would unplug the 2106DS from shore power as a precaution and then during daylight, use a voltmeter to check both plugs for DC power.

Both 15 amp plugs appear to be on the end of 16 gauge extension cords. If one of these cords is connected to the solar panels output, your solar panels are probably connected using a series parallel connection and you are looking at 36-40 volts on the voltmeter.

If this is the case, then the rest of the system (controller, inverter, etc.) was probably modular and was removed prior to sale.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjohnnyL View Post
I cannot find a solar controller anywhere on the unit. Is the solar power there to charge my battery?
On 2021 units, the pv leads come down through the mc4 roof gland, behind the front cap and terminate behind the go-power cover plate located on front bulkhead curbside. I can’t tell from your picture if the two 15a plugs are exiting the bulkhead from where the plate used to be, but it looks like they are. The Fact they are in a loom seems to indicate the leads to the plugs are routed behind the bulkhead.

Time to call the prior owner and ask for explanation, as I believe he removed the charge controller. If bought from a dealer, I would demand the dealer figure it out and restore wiring such that you can install your own charge controller.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
On 2021 units, the pv leads come down through the mc4 roof gland, behind the front cap and terminate behind the go-power cover plate located on front bulkhead curbside. I can’t tell from your picture if the two 15a plugs are exiting the bulkhead from where the plate used to be, but it looks like they are. The Fact they are in a loom seems to indicate the leads to the plugs are routed behind the bulkhead.

Time to call the prior owner and ask for explanation, as I believe he removed the charge controller. If bought from a dealer, I would demand the dealer figure it out and restore wiring such that you can install your own charge controller.
Could be. That 110V outlet and the two plugs are certainly not an OEM installation and could very well be where the controller was located. That means that the wiring from the panels could be hanging loose in the same area.

David
Old 05-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

BTW, if you pull those plugs, loom, and box away from bulkhead, you should be able to get a multimeter onto what could be the pv leads. The pv leads will show voltage, as they are always live unless the mc4 is disconnected at the gland. Careful not to shock yourself.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

So there is some type of controller that the two plugs would plug into? I’m a newbie so have no clue.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
So there is some type of controller that the two plugs would plug into? I’m a newbie so have no clue.
Never heard of anybody running pv leads to a 15a plug. You won’t know what’s going on until you remove the box and looms. I’m guessing the prior owner had an inverter that the plugs were connected to, and that ac power was being sent somewhere else through the looms and box. If that’s true, what’s in your photo has nothing to do with dc leads, and hence nothing to do with your solar.

Possible you’ll be able to trace the ac loom to the underside of the coach. I would get under the trailer and look for wiring coming through the floor near the bulkhead. If you see the wires, trace where they’re going. Either back to the breaker box or forward to a tongue mount battery box.

I’m sending ac to and from from my pass-thru mounted inverter charger through the floor and back to the kitchen sink floor, and then on to the breaker panel. You can see that in my album.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I did find a hole in the interior that is right beside the 110 outlet.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I did find a hole in the interior that is right beside the 110 outlet.
Look behind that hole and see if there is any 10 gauge or so DC wiring from the solar panels hanging around.

David
Old 06-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2020 2106DS, the controller is the black box on the wall next to the microwave. There should have been a small manual for it in your packet. If you change batteries you will need to make adjustments to this depending n the batteries
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar