Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Schwintek controller location

I have a Winnie Minnie 2500FL with a Schwintek slide.

Knock on wood, no issues yet - BUT I'd like to know where the controller is hidden, just in case I need to access it. I've looked in the obvious (to me, at least) places. It's not behind the panel that houses the tank indicators, it's not in the little box under one of the seats in the slide (I can't figure out what that's for). Any other thoughts on where to look? Or does someone know where it is?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No exact knowledge but another place to look that you most likely have not? Try looking up at the bottom of the slide when out.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

In our 2250DS the slide controller is located under the refrigerator behind the slats.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
No exact knowledge but another place to look that you most likely have not? Try looking up at the bottom of the slide when out.
I have been under there before; all I saw was the rollers, darco and frame. What else should be noticing that would give a clue if it were in this area?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
In our 2250DS the slide controller is located under the refrigerator behind the slats.
I see your fridge is adjacent to the slide; mine is on the opposite side. BUT you have given me an idea - there's a small cubbyhole adjacent to the slide/next to the couch, and it has a false floor. I'll check there tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I see your fridge is adjacent to the slide; mine is on the opposite side. BUT you have given me an idea - there's a small cubbyhole adjacent to the slide/next to the couch, and it has a false floor. I'll check there tomorrow.

Thanks!
At least you know what the controller looks like and it should be near the slide. Good luck.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Look in the storage compartment(s) on the ceiling of the compartment. It is another place they hide them.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
At least you know what the controller looks like and it should be near the slide. Good luck.
Success. Thank you.

It was in the false floor of the cubbyhole next to the couch by the slide. Impossible to work on in the position it is, much less see what any readout might state! Who thought this was a good idea?

Access under couch:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1CrSL4XJpA4vvzLVA

"Well organized" cables: (???)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GCdXnWwQoazEq4SMA

Position under false floor:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zxYMKtY1gMaBCSUy8
Old 03-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #9
Site Team

On the controller LED light flash in green and red sequence to indicate the problem. But only for a few minutes after you run the slide in or out. Use your phone’s camera to film a movie of the sequence. The picture will also show the details of the meaning of the flashes printed on the controller.

My money is on a “low battery” error. Those seem to be most common.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Glad you found it. Winni does hide that thing in the most difficult places.

I hope you never have to use the reset procedure on it but if you do be very careful. Once you activate the reset you bypass all safety systems designed in that controller. Those motors are powerful and can break things.

Something I found out from Lippert. When extending or retracting the slide never change directions. Always go to the full stop before changing directions.

Also, when the slide gets to the full stop when retracting, continue to hold the retract button for a minimum of 5 seconds to allow the motors to synchronize. Longer will not hurt the system.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Also, when the slide gets to the full stop when retracting, continue to hold the retract button for a minimum of 5 seconds to allow the motors to synchronize. Longer will not hurt the system.
^What Wayne said is important!

And, over time I've learned to listen for the motors to lock. They will click at the end of travel. So, I put the slide out and when it stops I hold the button down. Sometimes there is a click other times a hum or whine.

But then I release the button and push it again in the same direction and hold it. You'll not really get any movement but the motors will activate. Hold the button down until the motors click. I do this over and over (2-3 times) until the motors no longer activate when pushing the button. Usually, when doing this the motors will click and by the 2nd or 3rd time they click in unison.

They show this on the Winnebago YouTube channel BUT they say to reverse the slide for 1/2 a second and then go forward again and wait for the click. I never found that to work and accidentally found my method that works.

When I have the slides synced properly there is a small green light that flashes on the actual slide button. I never noticed it for the first year because my slides were never fully synced. But now, it's a routine occurrence after going through my motor click routine. NOTE: Not all slide switches have the small green light!

PS. The above info is for the Schwintec and Power Gear SlimRack systems. The thru-frame and underfloor slide I have never reacts the same way and I never hear a motor click.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
On the controller LED light flash in green and red sequence to indicate the problem. But only for a few minutes after you run the slide in or out. Use your phone’s camera to film a movie of the sequence. The picture will also show the details of the meaning of the flashes printed on the controller.

My money is on a “low battery” error. Those seem to be most common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
^What Wayne said is important!

And, over time I've learned to listen for the motors to lock. They will click at the end of travel. So, I put the slide out and when it stops I hold the button down. Sometimes there is a click other times a hum or whine.

But then I release the button and push it again in the same direction and hold it. You'll not really get any movement but the motors will activate. Hold the button down until the motors click. I do this over and over (2-3 times) until the motors no longer activate when pushing the button. Usually, when doing this the motors will click and by the 2nd or 3rd time they click in unison.

They show this on the Winnebago YouTube channel BUT they say to reverse the slide for 1/2 a second and then go forward again and wait for the click. I never found that to work and accidentally found my method that works.

When I have the slides synced properly there is a small green light that flashes on the actual slide button. I never noticed it for the first year because my slides were never fully synced. But now, it's a routine occurrence after going through my motor click routine. NOTE: Not all slide switches have the small green light!

PS. The above info is for the Schwintec and Power Gear SlimRack systems. The thru-frame and underfloor slide I have never reacts the same way and I never hear a motor click.
Thank you for this info directly above. As to first referenced post, I appreciate the thought, but fortunately I do not (at this time) have an issue - I was just trying to be proactive.

I'm thinking about moving the controller to a location in that general area that is easier to view and access as there appears to be plenty of cable attached to it. I'm not sure if I will mount it under the couch or inside the cubbyhole - but that task is for another day!
Old 03-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Glad you found it. Winni does hide that thing in the most difficult places.

I hope you never have to use the reset procedure on it but if you do be very careful. Once you activate the reset you bypass all safety systems designed in that controller. Those motors are powerful and can break things.

Something I found out from Lippert. When extending or retracting the slide never change directions. Always go to the full stop before changing directions.

Thank you. I hope to not have to "worry" about it, but it never hurts to be prepared. Things tend to go south at the worst possible moment.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

I am going to post this question here, I have a new trailer I have not used yet. The dealer (person doing the walk-through)said to never run the slide out part way. It was always all the way out and all the way back in or the motors would lose sync and possibly bind up. Give me your thoughts.
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

On the location and cables, there may be another way to look at them. The location is awkward, no doubt but the cabling is good for RV standards as they are actually fastened with a tie-wrap. So maybe there is slack left to allow for pulling the controls out to see and work on them. If I were there and thinking of future work. I might want to pull the controls loose and then reattach them with something easy like velcro. But most likely I would just keep it in mind and THEN, if I had a prob. I would pry the sucker off and deal with it.
Yes, the book says all the way out and not to worry it will burn out the motors. All the way out and then all the way in plus a couple seconds on either.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
I am going to post this question here, I have a new trailer I have not used yet. The dealer (person doing the walk-through)said to never run the slide out part way. It was always all the way out and all the way back in or the motors would lose sync and possibly bind up. Give me your thoughts.
This is true and has been mentioned above. However, you'll find that this happens accidentally more than you'd think. You start to move a slide and some problem, blockage, or brain fade will happen and you'll need to stop right now, or you'll need to back up right away.

It happens. Don't worry about it. Just don't do it on purpose or carelessly.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post

As stated, it happens by accident. If it does happen, like maybe your finger slipped, just continue in the direction you were going, then hold the button for 5 seconds or longer to sync the motors.
It's happened to me more than once.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
<clip> I might want to pull the controls loose and then reattach them with something easy like velcro. <clip>
Great idea. Thanks.

Tags
cat