Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV to TT

We recently sold our Winnebago Itasca Class C RV after completing all 50 states.

We are retired military and still want to Winter in different places for longer periods of time. We just started to look at Winnebago TT and have narrowed it down to the following.

Minnie Plus
26RBSS
27RBDS

Minnie Winnie
2401RG- Galley Kitchen
2500FL- Front Living
2501RG- Rear Living

Looking for suggestions and input on these models. As there are only the 2 of us and an occasional grandchild we eliminated all the bunkhouse models and also models with no sofa or else dinette or sofa choice. We want both.
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What are you towing with?
I like the layout of the 2500FL and the 2401RG. The only issue with and rear kitchen in a trailer is the tendancy to "bounce" your kitchen... like riding in the back of a schoolbus. Dishes and fridge contents gets tossed around.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you've got a 3/4 ton truck, I'd go with the Minnie Plus. I wouldn't want to tow the Minnie Plus with a 1/2 ton. The Winnebago line of campers is very nice and for the most part, they are a cut above.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We currently have the 1/2 ton. Looks like we need to do some research on towing also.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Particularly on payload. The "wet" hitch weight on a Minnie plus will be near 1000lbs. My 2301BH is over 700.
If your half ton has a 1200 payload capacity and you hang 1000lbs off the back, then you and the family and all of your gear and fuel better be less than 200lbs.
You get the idea... overloaded and white knuckles is no way to enjoy camping.

When calculating hitch weight, figure 12% of the GROSS weight of the trailer (never look at the dry/empty weight they advertise).
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Looks like we have a huge learning curve. We want to stay with Winnebago but with the 1/2 ton PU we may ended up upgrading a truck also. A dealer mentioned a Winnebago 5th wheel as it would reduce length and claims a 5th wheel is easier to tow.

From what I am finding out, pricing goes up all everything in January when the Trade Shows start. I have only seen 1 Winnebago TT for sale used and that was a tiny tear drop or pod style. Either people are really liking the TT, or new to market I guess.

I sure appreciate all this advice and I do not want us to make a huge expensive error.

Pat
Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We own a 2401RG. You should have no problems towing with a 1/2 Ton Pick up. One of the features we like is the television is directly across from the couch. No craning of the neck to watch. We don’t like the lack of access with slide in. But, we get used to using both doors if needed.
Classic_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We looked at the 26RBSS, and the 27RBDS and ended up getting the 27BHSS, one we didn't even consider until we saw it in person. Our kids are grown but our dogs travel with us and the 27BHSS had perfect space under the bunks for the dogs + we use the bunks for extra storage and I like having the outside fridge and grill.

We've only done 1 trip so far but my ecoboost F150 tows it fine, I do have the tow package (11,200). I trailer my 28' boat back and forth to the keys 5-6 times a year, so didn't expect too much of an issue with towing the camper. I know there is a huge difference from the 3/4 ton diesel to what I have but since I'm not full time on the road don't feel i need it at this point. (Time will tell..)
campinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Have you decided yet? I have a 26RBSS Minnie Plus, I love the floorplan but the roof has started leaking and it's only a few months old. Refer to my posts. It may just be that I got a lemon so don't let this discourage you from your purchase. Just thought I'd pass that along.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

“A dealer mentioned a Winnebago 5th wheel as it would reduce length and claims a 5th wheel is easier to tow.“

A little...maybe. Not enough to make the decision over floor plan, weight etc.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
“A dealer mentioned a Winnebago 5th wheel as it would reduce length and claims a 5th wheel is easier to tow.“

A little...maybe. Not enough to make the decision over floor plan, weight etc.
Plus, a 5th wheel limits your use of the PU bed. Personally I prefer a conventional TT so I can have a shell on my PU. This is all academic now since we've gone the opposite direction, from TT to Class A due to accessibility issues. This raises another issue as we age, a 5th wheel has those inside stairs and, in many cases, reduced headroom in the BR.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolang View Post
Have you decided yet? I have a 26RBSS Minnie Plus, I love the floorplan but the roof has started leaking and it's only a few months old. Refer to my posts. It may just be that I got a lemon so don't let this discourage you from your purchase. Just thought I'd pass that along.
I have noticed that a lot of Minnie Plus owners seem to have leaks. I think they don't have the build process quite ironed out on those.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had taken ours back in for some items that were on the punch list when we bought it new (took 2 months for them to fix). What was interesting was that we did have a piece of trim that was obvious water damage, was the framing for the entrance to the master on the side where the slide is. They have replaced it and we’ve had weeks of really hard rains and I’ve seen no signs of water intrusion. I actually think it might have been from the seal in the slide not being seated properly when it was open. I did inspect the roof (I do that before and after every trip) and so far so good.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Any issues that you have encountered since your post? We have a half ton 2018 Chevy Silverado that also came with the tow package (11,200) and we're also considering the 27BHSS. We've read mixed reviews and some say it's too heavy and we should look into a smaller TT. We've fell in love with this design and wanted to get more feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinfl View Post
We looked at the
26RBSS, and the 27RBDS and ended up getting the 27BHSS, one we didn't even consider until we saw it in person. Our kids are grown but our dogs travel with us and the 27BHSS had perfect space under the bunks for the dogs + we use the bunks for extra storage and I like having the outside fridge and grill.

We've only done 1 trip so far but my ecoboost F150 tows it fine, I do have the tow package (11,200). I trailer my 28' boat back and forth to the keys 5-6 times a year, so didn't expect too much of an issue with towing the camper. I know there is a huge difference from the 3/4 ton diesel to what I have but since I'm not full time on the road don't feel i need it at this point. (Time will tell..)
Rlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Whatever you choose, don't cut things too close in terms of TT weight vs. truck capacities. My preference has been to not go over 80% of the truck's tow capacity, including tongue weight.

Half ton vs 3/4 ton is math, IMHO Diesel vs. gas is an unending debate with no clear answer.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlee View Post
Any issues that you have encountered since your post? We have a half ton 2018 Chevy Silverado that also came with the tow package (11,200) and we're also considering the 27BHSS. We've read mixed reviews and some say it's too heavy and we should look into a smaller TT. We've fell in love with this design and wanted to get more feedback.
No issues and no regrets (so far) with the camper and truth be told my F150 towed it just fine and I never felt uncomfortable towing the trailer. We also were not towing through very mountainous conditions, mostly in Florida and Georgia. But for as much as I use the trailer the 1/2 ton was fine. I did however get a new truck and made the decision to go for the 3/4 ton and you can certainly tell the difference but I would still not shy away from towing the camper with a 1/2 ton. Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the camper, we love ours.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
Winniehurn

1/2 Ton & Minnie Plus 27RBDS

We tow our Minnie Plus 27RBDS (love this floor plan for the two of us) with a 2016 Tundra 5.7L V8 & tow package very comfortably. Trailer weight falls within suggested 80% of max truck tow rating and tongue weight. We have towed in NC mountains & truck handles loading just fine. We use a Blue Ox sway control / weight distribution hitch which I strongly recommend no matter what truck you tow with. We use 1000 lb bars on hitch. No significant effect from passing semi trucks / buses.

Truck has "sway control" built into tow package and I added optional TRD rear sway bar... but not sure whether either would be required with Blue Ox installed. I think other brands of trucks offer sway control from factory as well. Hitches aren't really that expensive considering what they abate. There are several other highly rated hitch systems to choose from besides Blue Ox.

Fuel economy is very significantly impacted towing 7500 lb of trailer as expected; I get around 8 MPG at freeway speeds. Trucks with diesel option would probably do significantly better than my gasoline powered rig, but unless you plan on doing lots of miles, the added up front and maintenance costs may not be economically justifiable. We are unlikely to tow >2000 miles / yr; so in our case gas made more sense.

Hope this helps, feel free to get in touch if I can be of help.
Winniehurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniehurn View Post

-snip-

Truck has "sway control" built into tow package and I added optional TRD rear sway bar... but not sure whether either would be required with Blue Ox installed. I think other brands of trucks offer sway control from factory as well. Hitches aren't really that expensive considering what they abate. There are several other highly rated hitch systems to choose from besides Blue Ox.

-snip-

Check your owners manual about using the truck's built-in sway control system with sway control on the hitch. Mine recommends turning off the truck sway control so the two systems don't try to counteract each other in an emergency situation and cause more sway compounding the problem.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We have the 26rbss this is a great floorplan for 2 people. The rear bath has lots of room compared to our winnebago Class "C" sprinter 24'. My wife had knee surgerynand the corner bed became difficult. Our 2019 26rbss is just right with lots of storage and I can pull with my 2019 RAM 1500 OK. Pro is rear bath and great kitchen counter space. We have the recliner chairs and came with a fireplace (option) I cold weather pack makes it easy to heat. I am adding solar 200w of solar for sometimes dry camp.
A con is no access to bed room when slide closed so no napping at rest stops. Inverter will allow me to have Kieug coffee when stopped.
ALL in All this is a great floor plan.
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

We bought our 27BHSS in October 2017. We have since made a dozen long weekend trips. We tow our TT with a 2011 F-150 (w/ towing package) We live in Tennessee so the terrain varies quite a bit. On relativity rolling roads and highways our truck does fine. Our trip to Chattanooga took us through the Sequatchie valley and up/down long steep highway during the hot summer. Our F-150 did OK but the up hill climbs were pushing the limit of this truck. We have over 110k on this truck. my wife and I have discussed how much more future camping we will do (we are very close to retirement). if we decide that longer trips our in our future we will likely decide to replace our old truck with a F-250 diesel. If we decide that our camping will remain about the same as we currently do, then a F-150 eco-boost (w/tow package) is what we will settle on.

From the standpoint of towing, the dealer installed one Camco Eaz lift sway control bar when we purchased our rig. Towing this big box was an eye opener. I have experience towing large boats but noting of this mass. Afterwards I read on a forum that if your rig is over 27 feet +/- then you should have 2 sway bars. We added a second sway bar to our rig and that was a game changer, no more white knuckles.

Overall we have thoroughly enjoyed our trailer. After spending much of my years backpacking and sleeping on the ground, to moving into a pop-up for 15 years, this trailer is quite a luxury (no more walking into the woods when nature calls.

Happy Camping

ps I also replaced my front brake disc and pads with Power Stop Z36 Extreme Truck & Tow Brake Rotor & Pad Kit system specifically for towing through the Chattanooga trip they were a game changer also for the downhills compared to my previous stock brakes
Fish58fly is offline   Reply With Quote