Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

RV battery

I replaced my battery with a Group 31 12v this summer.
Got a full 4 years out of the original Interstate. Not impressed.
A couple of tidbits:

Particularly if it's plugged in a lot, check the water level in the battery at least twice a year.

Deep cycling the battery will kill it MUCH faster than recharging at 50%.*

The new battery had about the least amount of acid in it possible. Needed to be topped off with distilled water before I even installed it.

Make sure you get a real deep cycle RV batterry, not a dual-purpose boat battery.

I did look into the dual 6V setup, but the cost was silly and we don't boondock that often. When we do, I always have a genny.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have you ever tried the Charge Wizard?
It won't let your battery burn itself up.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not that brand but I've had a Battery Tender and a couple others for the assorted toys.
I always pulled the battery out and set it in towels in the basement over winter. Only charged once a month during that, but in the summer I leave the AC on when we're not camping (GA humidity).
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I let my batteries burn up the 1st winter I had my rig plugged in, now I have a switch right by the door for the charger to shut it off when its plugged in and can turn it on and off as I want. I also have a Harbor Freight float charger to maintain them over the winter. It works well and haven't had a problem with drying out anymore.
Sunflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Are we talking chassis/starting battery? Or house battery?
They have differing functions and requirements, both in use and care.

4 years out of a battery is certainly not unheard of. And even fully discharging deep cycle batteries will shorten their life. A starting battery will definitely fail.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Are we talking chassis/starting battery? Or house battery?
They have differing functions and requirements, both in use and care.

4 years out of a battery is certainly not unheard of. And even fully discharging deep cycle batteries will shorten their life. A starting battery will definitely fail.
This is the Winnebago Travel Trailer forum. So the discussion is about a "house" battery.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, it came up as a 'new question' - I did not look at the specific forum.

The defacto house battery setup is a pair of golf-cart batteries wired in series for 12V. Gives you usable 100ah of 12 volts on a 220ah total capacity. If you don't discharge past 50% and keep them topped up and properly peaked they'll go at least five years and in many cases longer.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I've done the same thing on another forum.

Quote:
The defacto house battery setup is a pair of golf-cart batteries wired in series for 12V.
Actually the defacto house battery on Winnebago Minnie travel trailers is a 12v. Some however have converted their units to the two 6V golf cart batteries but stock is one 12V..
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #9
2004 Minnie 29B

Quote:

The defacto house battery setup is a pair of golf-cart batteries wired in series for 12V. Gives you usable 100ah of 12 volts on a 220ah total capacity. If you don't discharge past 50% and keep them topped up and properly peaked they'll go at least five years and in many cases longer.
You may want to consider solar panels with 6 volt batteries. My set up using 2 -75 watt panels with Blue Sky Energy solar controller keeps my batteries charged without over charging. House batteries (2-6 volts from Cost Co) are over 8 years old and going strong. Original batteries were 2-12 volts (stock) and replaced with 6 volts after originals shorted internally. Engine battery was 11 years old when Had to replace cause I couldn't add water ( it was maintenance free and water level had reached the top of the plates). Only maintenance on batteries is to keep clean and add water. Especially like it that electrolyte level in 6 volts is about 2 inches from plate tops. Gives you much more leeway over the 12 volt batteries which on all the ones I had ever had only had about 1/2 inch above plate tops.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I bought 2 6 volt Duracell deep cycle golf cart batteries from Sam's Club. They were about $85 each. I've been using them for the past 2 years without any problems. It gives me 225 amp hours of which I can use about 1/2 safely. I had to get a special dual battery box because two separate battery boxes wouldn't fit on my trailer tongue.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Solar on Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Tinker View Post
You may want to consider solar panels with 6 volt batteries. My set up using 2 -75 watt panels with Blue Sky Energy solar controller keeps my batteries charged without over charging. House batteries (2-6 volts from Cost Co) are over 8 years old and going strong. Original batteries were 2-12 volts (stock) and replaced with 6 volts after originals shorted internally. Engine battery was 11 years old when Had to replace cause I couldn't add water ( it was maintenance free and water level had reached the top of the plates). Only maintenance on batteries is to keep clean and add water. Especially like it that electrolyte level in 6 volts is about 2 inches from plate tops. Gives you much more leeway over the 12 volt batteries which on all the ones I had ever had only had about 1/2 inch above plate tops.
Thanks & glad to hear solar works for..
Could you please share how you ran the solar on your Minnie with possible photos; prepping next year for our 3 yr trip west of boondocking mostly..
really appreciate all input?
BobbyD16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My write-up about delving into solar here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/help-...ml#post3301544

IMO people get carried away with what they really need to augment their power needs. First place it to trim down consumption so you can easily replace what you use.

A primary issue is a proper charger - and they're different for 12V DC vs 6V GC's. The latter require a higher voltage for peak charging. Iota or Progressive Dynamics - choose the right one.

Tags
battery