Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rusty (??) sink

Noticed what appears to be rust inside the stainless (??) steel sink on our 2021Minnie 2529RG. Anyone else notice this?
travelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It wouldn't surprise me. All stainless steel is not created equal. There are many grades. My Whirlpool double door stainless steel refridgerator, which is in my garage, is rusting in the Florida air. I'm about 6 miles from the coast. If a magnet can stick to it, it will probably rest eventually. Here is an article.
https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blo...ds%20of%20time.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

In our 2021 Navion we found some rust in the kitchen sink. Not the best grade stainless. Used a brillo pad to remove it. I may add a coating of machine oil over the stainless before winter storage. Not impressed with the quality for the cost at all. But then again I haven't looked closely at some of the less expensive models.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We've got this same issue - and it's really bad - in both sinks in our 2019 1706FB. Wife hates it; I'm ready to bypass Winnebago warranty even though we have a ticket on it as who's to say the replacement will be any better? If it's possible, I'm going to cut a little more relief in the countertops and get a better - though slightly larger - grade of sinks from our repair as I'm tired of waiting on Open Roads RV and Winnebago to a) get their warranty act together and b) buy higher quality components.

We've had a ticket there since November of last year on this issue and no one at the dealer answers the phone or returns calls in spite of several conversations with Winnebago.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Rusty sink

All 4 of the sinks in my 2018 Forza 38F are all rusty ! Not happy !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Cheap Stainless Steel

Made with cheap materials
Ronaldsndrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ours was fine until I poured antifreeze down the drains and didn’t follow the pour with a sink wipe down. Not sure if that contributed to the demise but agree, like many of the materials used in our MM, cheap! We clean ours with bar keepers friend and it works great.
Mono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

imported stainless is not always good stainless. all you can do is go to lowes, or home depot and order something close. ive done that several times for owners.
pfmaddoxsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

With no response from Winnebago to me or our RV mechanic folks, I reached out to a friend who is the sales manager for a local metals coating business. I'm having the sinks sandblasted and re-coated with a silver FDA approved food-grade finish for $75. Considerably less expensive than the larger sinks, saves the labor to enlarge the holes in the cabinets, and gets the issue solved instead of getting new sinks from Winnebago that may not be any better than what we have.

I am curious what the finish will look like. They refer to the color as "wheel silver", which is pretty self-explanatory but won't be the faux stainless steel finish. We had choices of black, white, beige, and several shades of grey in addition to the silver, which the wife preferred.

I'll try to remember to post a photo when I get them back.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Wow, this sucks. If I remember correctly, to be called Stainless steel requires 11% Chromium, and to have food grade stainless requires 18% percent. Something like that.
I have a couple cheap spoons in the drawer, that have turned a dark gray. I assume there're lacking enough Chromium for going in the dishwasher w/o affect.
But a Stainless steel sink rusting? I'd bet this means they're under the quantity of needed Chromium to qualify as Stainless Steel, let alone be food grade. (Which might not be required in a sink.)
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Yes, one of many disappointments we've had with our coach. Kitchen sink pops up rust spots all over, even though we make effort to always run towel around it to dry it. And have to scrub like the devil with rust remover to get rid of the spots, makes it good until next time coach sits for a spell, then they pop up again. Similar for bathroom sinks, terrible rust around drain hole that we can't scrub away not matter what we use. Understand that we're not paying a million dollars for a coach, we've been sorely disappointed in Winnebago's overall quality, I frankly think the $40K trailer we sold to buy the coach was light years ahead of Winnebago on quality.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

What? Stainless Steel sink that rusts!

If I was constantly battling rust in my Stainless Steel sink, after the warranty; I'd mask it off, and spray it with something like Clear Rust-Oleum American Accents 2X Ultra Cover, Gloss Spray Paint. It's for Interior or exterior use on wood, metal, plastic. It says a 20 minute dry. I'd clean and prep it well, and put down at least 3 coats. Then I might consider a fresh coat every year or two as well.

A parting thought, or maybe shot, some companies will extend a warranty for an unquestionable defect, and not having enough chromium in your steel sink to make it rustproof isn't questionable, as maybe something the owner did wrong. I wouldn't go quietly into the night on this.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:24 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMac View Post
Yes, one of many disappointments we've had with our coach. Kitchen sink pops up rust spots all over, even though we make effort to always run towel around it to dry it. And have to scrub like the devil with rust remover to get rid of the spots, makes it good until next time coach sits for a spell, then they pop up again. Similar for bathroom sinks, terrible rust around drain hole that we can't scrub away not matter what we use. Understand that we're not paying a million dollars for a coach, we've been sorely disappointed in Winnebago's overall quality, I frankly think the $40K trailer we sold to buy the coach was light years ahead of Winnebago on quality.
At least for me, the overall quality has been good EXCEPT for the bathroom sink when tiny rust spots began to appear. Cheap China SS for sure (lack of nickel).

The following has worked for me to help mitigate the issue.
  • Do not use abrasive or acidic cleaner(s). This will most likely destroy the overall finish and make matters worse. For the problem areas, I used glass cooktop cleaner and a dremel with a polishing bit directly. Not 100% but removed it for the most part.
  • Apply a small bead of kitchen/bathroom clear silicone around the lip. This will help prevent water from seeping underneath.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono2 View Post
We clean ours with bar keepers friend and it works great.
That stuff works a treat on our fridge doors too.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I used Soft Scrub I bought At grocery Store . Works perfectly to make it as new . wipe on and leave set 10 minutes then scrub off and rinse .
Lancer_57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust