Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof issues? What to look for in a roof inspection?

I've got a 2015 27RBDS and have been plenty of reports on the web about issues with Winnebago towables and their roofs. I'm going to give an inspection of my roof this weekend but honestly don't know what I'd be looking for in terms of damage or degradation.

Has anyone had issues with the Ultralite series roofs? If so, what did you see in terms of damage? I keep the trailer covered at home, but do live in South Florida where we have intense heat and humidity so not sure how that effects RV roofs.

And while on the topic of damage, what about front cap hair-line cracks? How does one address those issues? Do they re-gelcoat the cap? Repaint?
Fasttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Check the roof for any signs of damage or punctures to the EPDM. Usually from limbs. They should be pretty easy to spot. Then check for loose or cracked caulk around all the screws and seams and roof penetrations like the AC unit. If you find any loose or cracked caulk, clean off the old caulk and recaulk with Dicor self leveling sealant. If you find any holes in the membrane, reseal it with Eternabond tape.

I clean and seal my EPDM roof about twice a year. Camco makes a cleaner and sealer that works pretty well. It does eliminate that white chalky powder from the roof and most of the stains. Some people say it's not necessary but I park mine outside so I take this extra step. It sure does make the roof slippery when wet. Be careful.

Tags
roof