Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replace Westlake Tires before trip?

Hey gang. I put a lot of faith in the Micro-mini threads. This is an Either OR Question.

We’re planning a east coast to west coast trip in February. Probably 6,000mi trip. We’ve had our 2108ds for almost a year, and before we leave for the west coast we’ll have about 10,000 mi on the OEM Westlake tires. So far, the tires have shown no sign of problems. Of course tread wear is minimal, but sidewalls look good, no crazing, and no signs of stress. We keep them at 50psi religiously.

Would like to hear your input on whether we should make the trip and put on 10k more miles on the Westlakes, or whether we should play it safe and replace now with Goodyear Endurance.

Budget-wise, we can choose between new tires or adding 300w of rooftop solar. Cost about the same. Which should we choose?
Old 10-10-2021, 03:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like a fun trip Jim!

You're already pretty well setup for boondocking and the extra solar will especially help during the winter months.

There's no guarantee new tires will not have issues. Sounds like the tires are in good shape and IMO, as long as you have a spare, another 6k won't matter.

I would get the solar
Old 10-10-2021, 05:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

how old are the tires?
Old 10-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tires are one year old now. OEM hen we bought the trailer.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
Site Team

What load rating/number of plies doe they have? What’s the max psi listed on the tire sidewall and what psi do you run them at?

Most trailer tires fail due to over loading, not enough tire pressure and too much speed. All three of which lead to overheating… and boom!
Old 10-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think I'd get those tires off as soon as possible.

Having Solar or dealing with changing tires on the road? your call.

https://www.amazon.com/WESTLAKE-TRAI...ews/B00AAIDASG
Old 10-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If they're the same tires as jedges' link, they're load range E and speed rating of R, although one reviewer said that his had L on the sidewall. What is the DOT date code on the sidewall?

I'm very firmly on the side of keep em on, especially if you have a good spare. No real reason to throw decent one year old tires out just because of the name.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
If they're the same tires as jedges' link, they're load range E and speed rating of R, although one reviewer said that his had L on the sidewall. What is the DOT date code on the sidewall?

I'm very firmly on the side of keep em on, especially if you have a good spare. No real reason to throw decent one year old tires out just because of the name.
Thanks. These tires are OEM. Date code 01/20. Load rated C. Speed rated 65mph. CI 50psi. GVWR is just 5,000lbs, so the tires are appropriately sized.

We keep them properly inflated, have a TPMS, and don’t drive over 65mph except when passing. Although they show no signs of premature wear, my concern was with all the horror stories I’ve read about Chinese tires. I was having a hard time trusting them. So, it gives me confidence that they should be good for another year and 10,000 more miles.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

I do not wish to make a recomendation either way, especially as your tire condition is one of your basic safety considerations. I would strongly recomend that you get the opinion of a tire professional. Take your rig to your local commercial large unit tire dealer ( folks that deal with Tractor Trailers and such) and see what they say. Any ethical and professional outfit will gve you a straight up answer; they will tell you if you need to replace your tires right now or if they are safe for your trip.

Just my thoughts...
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Much of the tire manufacturing has moved to Asia. Including many brands considered US brands. Just because they were made in Asia doesn’t mean they are bad.

I blew out 4-trailer tires in 6-yrs. All were load rated C and my TT weighed 5800 pounds. When I replaced them with E rated 10-ply tires all the drama stopped and never blew out another tire in the next 6-yrs.

The new tires were made in China, by the way.

So, I’m kind of sold on tires that are over spec’d weight-wise. If I bought a new TT and it had C rated tires I’d replace them on day one. But, that’s just me.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had a blow out on one of the original westlake tires on my 2016 28rbds. For whatever reason both tires on the passenger side had begun to look rounded instead of square and we’re starting to get hot. It was Memorial Day weekend and I was trying to make it home. I knew it was likely to blow so I was going slow and watching it constantly. So I saw it when it happened and avoided significant damage. I changed it and was lucky enough to get home but I was wishing for an extra spare.

I bought 4 new maxxis tires (15”) and kept one of the good west lakes for an extra spare. Any long trip now and I have two spares.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneynDawnT View Post
I had a blow out on one of the original westlake tires on my 2016 28rbds. For whatever reason both tires on the passenger side had begun to look rounded instead of square and we’re starting to get hot. It was Memorial Day weekend and I was trying to make it home. I knew it was likely to blow so I was going slow and watching it constantly. So I saw it when it happened and avoided significant damage. I changed it and was lucky enough to get home but I was wishing for an extra spare.

I bought 4 new maxxis tires (15”) and kept one of the good west lakes for an extra spare. Any long trip now and I have two spares.
Thanks Rodney,
How many miles/years did you have on the Westlakes before you noticed problem? Curious where you mounted the 2nd spare.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

A rough estimate would be 3000-4000 mile. The tires were original to the camper, which is a 2016. I just throw the spare in the back of the truck but I’m pretty sure they make under camper mounts that can be added.

Tags
tires, replace, ace