Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2022, 10:46 AM   #81
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
I was thinking the same thing and in fact, the drawing from Winnebago shows the wiring from my 30amp solar controller to the battery is 10 gauge.

But, like Lyle said, if you have it, and it fits, might as well use it. Better to overbuild for the future than have to redo it all.
I definitely have to change out the short +/- leads to the battery side of the controller to more flexible wire. When I grab the wires to disconnect the MC4 Connectors it moves the buss bar in the Controller. This would eventually cause concern where the buss bar attaches to the controller circuit board I'm sure.

I'm going to tie down the wires to the wood backing (before the wires enter the controller) so any wire movement wont effect controller terminals.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:15 PM   #82
Winnie-Wise

Got it beat, I found some 8AWG flexible wire locally and I changed out the stiff 8AWG that plugs into controller from both sides.

Picture 1 shows the Lead Acid Trailer Batteries Connected.

Picture 2 shows the Lead Acid Trailer Batteries Disconnected and MC4 Connectors ready to hook up to Trolling Motor Lithium Battery via the Renogy Alligator Clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	184004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	184005  

Old 09-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #83
Winnie-Wise

Hey Jim, do you have a 12v frig? I assume if one has an 2-way frig, and you have an inverter, you shouldn't have the frig set to the "Auto" setting as it would always run on AC either shore power or battery/inverter power. Something to think about boondocking.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #84
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
Hey Jim, do you have a 12v frig? I assume if one has an 2-way frig, and you have an inverter, you shouldn't have the frig set to the "Auto" setting as it would always run on AC either shore power or battery/inverter power. Something to think about boondocking.
I do have a 12v compressor fridge. Although I really wanted an absorption when we purchased, we now love the compressor fridge. So many advantages. IMO, way better than absorption. Cools down very fast, 2 cuft more inside, operates off level, never has a problem when it’s very hot outside, capable of getting much colder than absorption. Almost like residential ac fridge. But you do need to spend about 50 amphrs/day +/- 10 to feed it. Not a problem boondocking if you have enough battery bank, and some solar.

Tags
solar