Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rear vision camera

My new TT came with provision for a rear view camera. This would be handy for backing up and while driving. The trailer creates a significant blind spot while driving even though it is only 7'wide! Has anyone added a camera to the back of their travel trailer recently and willing to suggest brands and prices? Pros/Cons?
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

An excellent idea.

We recently had a guest come into the campground who arrived with a brand new trailer. It seems he totaled his old TT on the way down from the mid west by cutting back into the travel lane too soon and clipped a car.

The TT fortunately did not flip but it heeled over enough to damage the frame beyond repair.

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a Garmin GPS and found that they offer a wireless camera to work with it. I wired it to the rear clearance lights for power and it works fine. I think was around $100 or so.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I bought this wireless rear view camera last May. It works great. I do use external Tadibrothers antennas. Rarely use it for backing in to a camp site. Wife does a good job helping with that. Where it really shines is when I pass a big truck I know when it is clear to pull back in front of him.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Looks good, thanks. I didn't realize that the wireless cameras came with a separate antenna. I am of the belief that my trailer comes with wiring roughed in for a camera (I could be wrong) so I may skip the need for an antenna.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
Looks good, thanks. I didn't realize that the wireless cameras came with a separate antenna. I am of the belief that my trailer comes with wiring roughed in for a camera (I could be wrong) so I may skip the need for an antenna.
If it is wired for a camera (coax cable/power cable) and your tow vehicle the same then you can go without using a wireless setup.

The wireless camera system comes with a rubber ducky antenna for the camera and one for the monitor. Sometimes in big cities there are reflections and interference that can cause slight problems. Since I added these external antennas I have not had these problems. For my wireless system I tapped onto the power wire for the center light and turn the parking lights on to run the camera.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Try to find a camera system that has two cameras, one that can be aimed like a rear view mirror for traffic and a second that can be aimed downward to show the 10' or so of the ground directly behind your trailer for the final stages of backing into a campsite.

It's also a plus if the camera has sound so you can hear whoever is helping you back in. You'll want to be able to turn it off or traffic noise will drive you crazy. Of course, walkie talkies (or cellphones if you have service) will suffice.

My MH's camera is aimed as the 10' backing camera so I'm going to add a separate traffic camera.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Try to find a camera system that has two cameras, one that can be aimed like a rear view mirror for traffic and a second that can be aimed downward to show the 10' or so of the ground directly behind your trailer for the final stages of backing into a campsite.

It's also a plus if the camera has sound so you can hear whoever is helping you back in. You'll want to be able to turn it off or traffic noise will drive you crazy. Of course, walkie talkies (or cellphones if you have service) will suffice.

My MH's camera is aimed as the 10' backing camera so I'm going to add a separate traffic camera.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking at a two camera system on Amazon and thought of putting the second in the front grill of my truck. But, I like your idea as well! 3 cameras.... ;-)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I just towed our new 2455BHS home last week. It had the prep for a rear view camera with a proprietary connector (can't remember the brand name on the cover plate). I just snipped off the proprietary connector and installed the Furrion FOS43TASF. It took all of 30 mins to connect wires and mount the camera.

I get great reception in the cab with the regular antenna that is attached to the camera. The 4.3" screen is pretty small but I prefer that as I only need the camera for a quick look at traffic behind the trailer. Picture is very clear and I'm very happy with the camera. The wide angle lens gives a very large view of the area behind the trailer.

There are plenty of good cameras out there for less money. The only reason I went with the Furrion is that there seems to be few if any complaints at losing signal while driving highway speeds. Mounting a remote antenna like a previous poster did should solve any connectivity issues for the majority of the lower prices cameras.

The camera wires are only hot when you turn on at least the running lights in your tow vehicle. I like driving with my lights on when I tow so it works great for me.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking at a two camera system on Amazon and thought of putting the second in the front grill of my truck. But, I like your idea as well! 3 cameras.... ;-)
I am curious about why you would want to put a camera in your front grill. It would seem to me that it would be a lot more trouble and dangerous to look at a monitor to see what is in front of your truck than looking through the windshield. What am I missing here?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
I am curious about why you would want to put a camera in your front grill. It would seem to me that it would be a lot more trouble and dangerous to look at a monitor to see what is in front of your truck than looking through the windshield. What am I missing here?
Sometimes parking my crew cab standard bed pickup requires the front of my vehicle to be as close as possible to the vehicle/object in front. I'm pretty good at judging but worry I could get over zealous. I know my back-up camera comes in very handy for those last couple of inches when backing into a space.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

front camera

I run a front camera. In fact, I run four cameras. All four go to a DVR. I can push a button and the DVR saves all four images and starts saving from 10 seconds before it is activates. Much like a home security system. All four cameras have IR lights that see at night so I can monitor activity outside of my RV at night after the blinds are closed. Might be overkill but it works.

https://www.rearviewsystems.com/ultr...704qhdztvk.htm
Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sometimes parking my crew cab standard bed pickup requires the front of my vehicle to be as close as possible to the vehicle/object in front. I'm pretty good at judging but worry I could get over zealous. I know my back-up camera comes in very handy for those last couple of inches when backing into a space.
OK, I understand now. My RAM has forward and side sensors on the front bumper that let me know when I'm getting too close. They work quite well.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
I run a front camera. In fact, I run four cameras. All four go to a DVR. I can push a button and the DVR saves all four images and starts saving from 10 seconds before it is activates. Much like a home security system. All four cameras have IR lights that see at night so I can monitor activity outside of my RV at night after the blinds are closed. Might be overkill but it works.

https://www.rearviewsystems.com/ultr...704qhdztvk.htm
It is certainly not overkill if that is what you like. It would be overkill for me.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

DW is nervous at night and that is what it took to make her happy and willing to travel.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
DW is nervous at night and that is what it took to make her happy and willing to travel.
Licensed personal protection can make nervousness go away and give you peace of mind.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
I have a Garmin GPS and found that they offer a wireless camera to work with it. I wired it to the rear clearance lights for power and it works fine. I think was around $100 or so.

I just ordered the Garmin backup camera myself, did you need to order the extension cable or did the wireless connection work without it?

Was the install easy, any pointers? Who did the install and what was the cost if you had someone install it for you.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerDon View Post
I just ordered the Garmin backup camera myself, did you need to order the extension cable or did the wireless connection work without it?

Was the install easy, any pointers? Who did the install and what was the cost if you had someone install it for you.
Easy installation, I tapped into the center clearance light for power, mounted the camera on a small plastic square and used VHB taped to mount that to the camper. My trailer is 22’ long and signal is strong enough to work. I don’t use it as much as I thought I would, just when parking in tight spots. I found it distracting when driving, that may just be me though...
Old 04-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Old 04-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I was at my dealership for warranty work and I was offered reasonable "deal" on the Voyager brand camera system made for the rough-in on our new TT's. My sales person said so far they haven't installed one. I was told that you get what you pay for but even with a good deal, these systems are double the price of wireless systems that may not be an exact plug and play. Please continue to offer any recommendations. Thanks.

Tags
camera