Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rear hitch on Travel Trailer

I would like to add rear trailer hitch to my towable. I need extra support for bike rack. I have 2 e bikes that are heavy. Suggestions on brand?
Markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

How heavy are the E-Bikes?

In general the trailers are not designed for it, and manufacturer will tell you that. So anything you do in that realm you do at your own risk and risk of others in case of items break loose and cause an accident.

That being said, many do beef up the bumper in a couple of ways and do add bike racks. I added this and have been very happy with the results. Then again I never carry more than two standard bikes on there at a time so not sure how that would work out with heavy E-bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P9T9G2...HZS3AD3KD5Y6GX
Old 02-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

DO NOT use the rear bumper to hold a bike rack.

From what I understand, unless bolstered, the bumper has a 75 lb. weight limit and is only designed for the spare. (the spare tire mount is rigid and close to the back of the trailer, reducing vibration).

The rear of any TT (especially shorter ones) will have the greatest amount of oscillation than anywhere on your towed setup and further magnified when going over bumps and thru potholes. Throw in the flexing of the bumper and the rack itself and it's a recipe for disaster.

Bottom line, spend the $$$ and weld a hitch receptacle to the frame. Search for bike racks on Amazon and you'll see that more than half state that they are not RV approved. Here's a quick article on recommendations.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-295037.html

After installation of the hitch, purchase a pair of stabilizers for added safety.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...E7U53NWQ&psc=1

An entirely different topic, but load distribution is extremely important in towing safely. After having the hitch installed, I also relocated the spare under the tongue with a winch adding to the tongue weight.

Hope this helps.

Tags
travel