Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
Micro-Minnie Newbie

Rear camera setup for Micro-Minnie - any recommendations?

Hi there! We are hoping to pick up our new Micro-Minnie 1708 from the dealer in about a month or so (assuming all this snow here in NH is gone ). This will be our first camper, and trying to learn the 'ropes' (this site has been very helpful - thanks all!).

My understanding is that our camper will be 'rear-camera ready'; which I assume means the wiring for a camera is in place, but I will need to install a camera unit in the rear area of th trailer. Does anyone have any further info regarding this? How would I view the camera display - via my car's nav/backup screen? Any recommendations for best camera type to install?

Thank you and best regards,
john L
John L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just picked up our or new 1708FB in Dec 2021. This is our second camper. Many lessons learned from our first camper which was a 2013 Chalet Arrowhead pop up were carried over to this new Winnie.

The Winnie dealer told us the backup camera was a power wire only for a wireless backup camera setup. Our last camper was 16-ft long ball-to-bumper and we initially installed a wireless system in it however we didnt have continuous video feed on a wireless system. Granted that was in 2014 - technology may have improved. Be that as it may I opted to install a wired system that is 100% on - not just in reverse. We did this on our last camper and did the same on our new Winnie and it works all the time very reliable. No need for mirror extensions to see whats back there. This is the system I went with for both our old and new trailer:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...76614-213.html

Its a bit more work to hardwire both the trailer and the tow vehicle, but in the long run I think its much more reliable and stable.
Gunny Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

John, since you have had so many replies I thought I would jump in here with my 2 cents worth. A rear view camera is one of the best upgrades you can do for your new trailer. An example: When passing a big truck it is easy to know when to pull back in front of him when you can see the front end of the truck in the monitor.
I really like my Haloview MC7108 system. These are the items that I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This new extended style bracket is needed for clearance for the antenna.

This is the mount I use to attach the monitor to the windshield. It really holds well.
https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-Moni...7Q4SJXF9&psc=1

As far as the camera adapter goes Haloview makes one for the Voyager and maybe the Furrion. Our 2250DS did not come pre-wired for a camera but installation was quite simple. The camera has a + red wire and a - black wire. The cable connects to the leads supplying power to the center running light. This should be just plug n play for you. You will need the running lights on to power the camera.

I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had the dealer install the voyager rear view camera before we picked up our 2100BH.. There was little negotiation in price last April so I asked that the dealer include the wdh and rear view camera and they did. I like it, especially for backing up, but also to keep a look out behind me on the road. The Voyager has a separate monitor that uses a suction cup to attach to the windshield.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
Micro-Minnie Newbie

Thanks so much to all for your inputs and advice - this will be very helpful!
best regards,
john L
John L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Thanks so much to all for your inputs and advice - this will be very helpful!
best regards,
john L
Let us know what you wind up getting.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #7
Former Winnebago Class A

My TT came pre wired for the Furrion camera, but I bought the much cheaper Haloview. It comes with an adapter plate and wiring adapter and fits the Furrion mount precisely. You can get a 5 or 7 inch monitor. Works great! (When I remember that the running lights have to be on - because the power is drawn from the running lights wiring. So, if it ain't working - TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS)

Good Luck...
Old 03-21-2022, 11:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
John, since you have had so many replies I thought I would jump in here with my 2 cents worth. A rear view camera is one of the best upgrades you can do for your new trailer. An example: When passing a big truck it is easy to know when to pull back in front of him when you can see the front end of the truck in the monitor.
I really like my Haloview MC7108 system. These are the items that I ordered:

This new extended style bracket is needed for clearance for the antenna.

This is the mount I use to attach the monitor to the windshield. It really holds well.
https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-Moni...7Q4SJXF9&psc=1

As far as the camera adapter goes Haloview makes one for the Voyager and maybe the Furrion. Our 2250DS did not come pre-wired for a camera but installation was quite simple. The camera has a + red wire and a - black wire. The cable connects to the leads supplying power to the center running light. This should be just plug n play for you. You will need the running lights on to power the camera.

I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
I'm currently shopping for a backup camera and I've seen your post in a couple of threads now. I would certainly do what you have done, but right now I cannot find the extension bracket anywhere except from Haloview themselves and it appears they are having shipping delays. I would like to get this installed by this weekend.

I am considering buying the Haloview MC7109 instead as it will not require that bracket since the antenna comes out of the side and not the back. It appears I could buy this camera and the adapter and be done. I was just curious if you had considered this route and went with your current setup for a reason that I'm not seeing.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

DaveW, I tried a couple of cheap wireless units which never worked very well. The last system I had was a wired unit, much more difficult to install, it worked well but died after 6 months. I then started my search for a good rearview camera system. From reading tons of reviews on several brands the obvious winner came out to be the Haloview MC7108. The quality is excellent and it works just like I hoped it would. Our trailer is 27' long and we pull with a RAM 1500 Quad Cab. The reviews on the MC7109 are just as good. I checked on Amazon and, as you said, the camera mount extender is unavailable. Strange! I also use a Samsung microSD memory card EVO 64 GB in the monitor to record the trip. Works great. This beanbag base really works well with the monitor mount that I mentioned. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...772CR74K&psc=1 Let me know if you have any questions. Ken
Old 03-21-2022, 05:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yakry is a cheap wireless that works well. Installs in 40 minutes. If you ask them, they send you a second camera, which I use for backing the ball under the coupler. Wireless u it’s require you to have lights on, which I’ve never considered a problem.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
DaveW, I tried a couple of cheap wireless units which never worked very well. The last system I had was a wired unit, much more difficult to install, it worked well but died after 6 months. I then started my search for a good rearview camera system. From reading tons of reviews on several brands the obvious winner came out to be the Haloview MC7108. The quality is excellent and it works just like I hoped it would. Our trailer is 27' long and we pull with a RAM 1500 Quad Cab. The reviews on the MC7109 are just as good. I checked on Amazon and, as you said, the camera mount extender is unavailable. Strange! I also use a Samsung microSD memory card EVO 64 GB in the monitor to record the trip. Works great. This beanbag base really works well with the monitor mount that I mentioned. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...772CR74K&psc=1 Let me know if you have any questions. Ken
I went ahead and ordered a MC7109 with the adapter. I think I read somewhere that the adapter had to be drilled out to use the existing wires and the original holes for a Voyager pre-wire installation?

I'll have to wait until next weekend to install since the camera will not arrive until next week.

I'd just pay for the Voyager cam, but it appears to be lesser quality for nearly double the price. I'm a believer in getting what you pay for most of the time. But not always...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I went ahead and ordered a MC7109 with the adapter. I think I read somewhere that the adapter had to be drilled out to use the existing wires and the original holes for a Voyager pre-wire installation?

I'll have to wait until next weekend to install since the camera will not arrive until next week.

I'd just pay for the Voyager cam, but it appears to be lesser quality for nearly double the price. I'm a believer in getting what you pay for most of the time. But not always...
The installation for me was very simple and my 4 year old trailer had no adapter. When you get it going how about a report? Maybe some photos.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I use a Swift Hitch wireless camera system (camera and 7" screen) on my 1708FB. It works quite well.

The camera is wired directy into the power going to the trailer marker lights and mounted to the camera plate that comes with the trailer. As others have mentioned, the trailer lights must be on for the camera to have power.

The Swift Hitch 7" Monitor can also handle two more cameras if one desires.

https://swifthitch.com/collections/c...-camera-system
Old 03-22-2022, 11:00 PM   #14
Former Winnebago Class A

I installed a Halo View, which adapts right to the Furrion base. Works great, and is much less expensive than the Furrion options.....
Old 03-23-2022, 06:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The installation for me was very simple and my 4 year old trailer had no adapter. When you get it going how about a report? Maybe some photos.
Sure, I'll do that.

This is a pic from someone's review on Amazon. They have the Voyager pre-wire, but I don't think that's a Micro Minnie. The lights are different.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

He did modifications to the bracket and adapter.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
He did modifications to the bracket and adapter.
Yes, that's what I was showing.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewizard View Post
I use a Swift Hitch wireless camera system (camera and 7" screen) on my 1708FB. It works quite well.

The camera is wired directy into the power going to the trailer marker lights and mounted to the camera plate that comes with the trailer. As others have mentioned, the trailer lights must be on for the camera to have power.

The Swift Hitch 7" Monitor can also handle two more cameras if one desires.

https://swifthitch.com/collections/c...-camera-system

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swift Hitch Micro Minnie.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	182318
Old 03-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewizard View Post
Nice installation. I never heard of that brand before you mentioned it.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Swift Hitch has been around for a long time. I bought one for hooking up my trailer. It has a magnetic base for attaching to the tailgate so it can be pointed down at the hitch. Very handy!
This was before there were backup cameras in vehicles.

It's also good for putting on a pole to view places that are inacessible.

Tags
camera