Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Questions (Rust/Conversion/Screens) on New Winnie!

Hello everyone,

1. How much under body and stabilizer rust is normal on a new Winnie? I probably used half can of WD40 to get stabilizers and waste gate valves moving freely in addition to almost EVERY nut and bolt being rusted on the stabilizers. I just sprayed them with Rustoleum paint but is that normal even on new TT?

2. I have the 2100 BH which has a dinette slide out. We were thinking about converting it to a U shaped lounge/couch in the evening for the kids. Anyone else have pillow or ideas to do this?

3. Almost all of the window screens have gaps I plan on filling with foam, but the front entry screen door has MAJOR gaps top and bottom. The trailer isn't level so I am wondering if this may be causing some of that issue. If not, is there another adjustment I can make or do I just need to foam those two corners?? Seems like it should fit flush from factory.

Thanks for answers in advance!
Boiler_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about #1 and #2. For number 3 I’d level it and see what the gaps look like, if still an issue, I’d say the dealer should check it out and fix it.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Okay, thanks for the response, no worries. First outing this weekend we shall see what they look like. I am bringing foam just in case. The rust question was kind of answered in a previous post, but sill odd on a new trailer that such rust exists. The dinette I think we will just wait and see on a few trips how we use it folded out to a bed with some pillows. May not make a full U couch out of it.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler_Up View Post
Hello everyone,

1. How much under body and stabilizer rust is normal on a new Winnie? I probably used half can of WD40 to get stabilizers and waste gate valves moving freely in addition to almost EVERY nut and bolt being rusted on the stabilizers. I just sprayed them with Rustoleum paint but is that normal even on new TT?
Our stabilizers work a little stiff, too. I used spray-on graphite for a lube, thinking that WD40 might retain road dirt.
Quote:
2. I have the 2100 BH which has a dinette slide out. We were thinking about converting it to a U shaped lounge/couch in the evening for the kids. Anyone else have pillow or ideas to do this?
You could cut a properly sized (for sitting depth) 3/4 inch plywood to fit in between the seats and rest on the lip where the table would to make a bed. Any upholstery shop can produce cushions for you, or if someone in the family is handy with a sewing machine they could do it. We (well, the DW!) redid our cushions in our 1974 VW camper in the late 70s - I don't recall where we we got the foam blocks, but the material came from a fabric store.
Quote:
3. Almost all of the window screens have gaps I plan on filling with foam, but the front entry screen door has MAJOR gaps top and bottom. The trailer isn't level so I am wondering if this may be causing some of that issue. If not, is there another adjustment I can make or do I just need to foam those two corners?? Seems like it should fit flush from factory.

Thanks for answers in advance!
I noticed some gaps in our screens, also; slightly sliding the screen one way or the other in the track should close it up (it did for us). If not, there's a problem. We have one screen that is being replaced under warranty; it will not stay in the track.

Good luck and happy travels.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If there are manufacturing defects then have them fixed by Winnebago under the warranty.

One of the dangers of buying an RV this time of year is of getting one that was transported over salted roads during the winter and then sat on a dealers lot for an extended period of time without having the undercarriage road salt accumulation cleaned off until after warm weather arrives and its already done its damage.

The Dealer would be the one most culpable for not cleaning off and dealing with road salt before it damaged steel components under your trailer.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

WD-40 is a great product to displace water, and provide some temporary lubrication.

However, it does evaporate. Spray on lubrication such as lithium grease, or many other products such as Boe-Shield T9 can be better solutions to your issue.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

T 9 is the best i have used it for years.
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Okay thanks for suggestions. Ordered T9 from Amazon.

Tags
rust, scr