Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 05:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exclamation Quality Control Concerns

I am days away from a purchase of a 2021 Voyage 2831RB. However, I have been reading about significant quality control issues with new RV's (in general). The stated reason is from increased demand and decreased/poor work force. Winnebago has a history of being a quality product. Let's face it, all products have some issues and require maintenance. I am concerned about big issues, that can't be fixed at home from a knowledgeable handyman owner. To make things worse, the dealers are often short staffed and replacement parts are hard to get so warranty repair isn't always ideal (to say the least). Can anyone comment on the quality of Winnebago products in 2020 or 2021?
Beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

In today's environment you are likely to have manufacturing quality problems with almost any coach builder. Some ways to cope with it:

You sound like a fairly capable DIYer. Think through the steps for your pre delivery inspection (PDI) in advance. Bring along any tools you may need- a simple voltmeter to check the operation of the DC system is essential. Plan to spend 2-3 hours on the PDI.

If the dealer is a long ways from home, consider camping nearby for a day or two. That will flush out things you may have missed in the PDI. Then tell the dealer in advance what you are doing and you expect priority service to fix any significant issue found just like if it were discovered on the PDI.

When you get home and start using your RV for real, keep an open mind about sorting out and fixing stuff that you discover yourself. I think it is 100 times easier to fix a problem yourself, even with Winnebago telephone/email warranty support than to take it back to the dealer where it may or may not get fixed right.

Good luck, David
Old 09-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I feel we got a good (not excellent) quality build for our Micro Mini purchased in October 2020, and built in August 2020. Another owner on this forum who bought the exact same unit a month later, thinks he got a lemon because so many things weren’t right. I was able to fix everything myself, and knock on wood, there will never be a need for a warranty claim. I know a couple of people who bought lesser brands last year who have not been able to use their rigs at all because they are still waiting for critical issue warranty service/parts.

Following David’s advice on PDI and camping nearby is imperative. We missed a couple of non-critical broken things in PDI, and still haven’t been able to fix them. Since you’ll be purchasing a much more complicated RV, I would advise you make a checklist before PDI, and take notes during the PDI. After spending a night or two camping after delivery, be prepared to turn around and go back, but make sure the dealer accepts you’ll go to the front of the line for service.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

David...excellent advice. Thank you for you time!!
Old 09-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Jim...thank you for your input, very valuable.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
Jim...thank you for your input, very valuable.
I'd also add to make sure for those two days, that you are using your POTABLE water tank...and NOT city hookup, for two reasons...first, you will see if there is anything critically wrong with your entire tank...cracked wall, can't hold water...and, you will be using a VERY CRITICAL part of your water system, your WATER PUMP. You do not use ever, your water pump, when on city water.

So, I suggest you be quite liberal in your water usage,...run the HECK out of your water pump, to break it in..and to see if the bearings and seals will break in, but not fail. There are no moving parts when water is being delivered by your City Water Hookup!

Also, run everything that uses propane. Run all your burners to see if they light fully and easily around the flame ring. Run your stove, (light it) to see if it will hold a pilot flame, and then fan out to the full burner. Run your Hot Water Tank on BOTH electricity and propane, to make sure both energy delivery's, are providing hot water. Run your furnace thermostat at full range, with all your windows open, to see if the fuel sensor valve will stay open, and provide propane to the flame chamber/heat exchanger. Feeling the heat coming out of your furnace and ducts will also show you there are no obstructions due to manufacture. Check all your windows for easy pivot or slide in track, operation, and that there are no tears or radial separations of the screen mesh with the frame. Operate your air-conditioner for at least 5 hours, to make sure that your compressor will not only break in, but will sustain operation. Hope all checks out...to your total satisfaction...during your shakedown near-by camping to selling dealer, 24 to 36 hour test run.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

That is great advice above, Sun Seeker.

I might add: Use shore power hookup the first day to check out the A/C. etc. Disconnect it and run on batteries only the second day. I can't count the number of new MH owners who post that their DC system won't run when not plugged into shore power. Many, many of these just don't know how to turn on the battery switch. But some are due to charging problems.

While running on batteries only for a day, hook up a voltage meter and measure the battery voltage. Then start your chassis engine and wait a few minutes. Check the battery voltage again. It should have jumped up to 13+ volts. If it stays the same, the BIM isn't working right.

David
Old 09-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Don’t let the dealer rush you or make you feel pressured to wrap up the PDI. Force them if necessary to prove to you that everything works as designed.

Do the PDI before closing and paying for the RV.

Don’t pay for it because they promise to fix this or that only do so when they have fixed everything

You may think the dealer has gone through the RV and “gotten it ready” for sale by fixing little problems that they are aware of. But, they don’t do this. Most will clean the RV inside and out but even if there is a glaring problem they generally will not fix it on their own without being made to by a buyer.

When you are ready to close you will be taken to the F&I department. They will attempt to retrieve every penny of discount they have given you… and then some. Best to say NO as firmly and often as you can.

They will act like you must buy an extended service contract from them and that everyone does this as a matter of course. And that if you leave without buying theirs you are doomed. Be aware the dealer buys those contracts wholesale cheap and marks them up 100, 200, or even 300%. And when you balk at buying the price will magically drop from 300% over-priced to 200% over-priced. You decide if you want such a contract and if you do you can easily buy one from several independent sellers. Many don’t buy the product and do fine. Many others do feel these are necessary. You decide.

Lastly the suggestion to take your RV camping nearby immediately upon purchasing cannot be stressed enough. This can save you months if not years of trouble down the road.

Before you take delivery you are the dealer’s best buddy. After you leave you are day old bread and a week or two later they will kick your moldy self to the gutter.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Pretty cynical view, but so true.

David
Old 09-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
I am days away from a purchase of a 2021 Voyage 2831RB. However, I have been reading about significant quality control issues with new RV's (in general). The stated reason is from increased demand and decreased/poor work force. Winnebago has a history of being a quality product. Let's face it, all products have some issues and require maintenance. I am concerned about big issues, that can't be fixed at home from a knowledgeable handyman owner. To make things worse, the dealers are often short staffed and replacement parts are hard to get so warranty repair isn't always ideal (to say the least). Can anyone comment on the quality of Winnebago products in 2020 or 2021?

I cannot address your main concerns about recent build problems in the industry, but I can tell you that I bought a 2018 Voyage 28RDB brand new a few years ago. We live in it full time, and we LOVE IT. There were a couple of fit & finish things at first - little cosmetic stuff like strips of molding. We also had them put on that extra protective coating, and we later hired a professional company to wash the rig. Whatever chemicals they used left it dull and flat looking - BOO!
Winnebago is better known for their motor homes, but this towable has been nothing but roomy and comfortable. We removed the bunk beds and installed shelving instead.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

A friend of mine has tried to buy 2 new 5th wheels in the last 3 months, they walked away from both because of quality issues and the dealer not fixing what they was supose to before they left the lot. Buyer beware!
Old 09-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

On My 21 Winnebago the trailer was pretty much ok ,but the Dometic Fridge went out ,The furnace had issues and the relay for the electric part of the hot water chatters . replaced it but its the thermostat that's causing the chatter .
Lancer_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

What is the Winnebago telephone/email warranty support information phone number / email address.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruser711 View Post
What is the Winnebago telephone/email warranty support information phone number / email address.
https://www.winnebago.com/contact-us

Tags
quality