Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

“Prepped” for Voyager Rear Camera

My new micro Minnie is “prepped” for a voyager rear view camera...

Is this the best option?

Is there a better cheaper option...

Any help is greatly appreciated...

V/r
Matt
mtalcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I purchased the larger Voyager camera, but haven't had a chance to install it yet...I plan to in April or May.
johneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

As others have stated, the "prep" behind the cover plate high center on the rear merely consists of a positive and negative wire from the upper "running" lights. Any wireless camera, be it Voyager or other, of course has to have 12V battery power to run. The idea is that you have to turn on your tow vehicle's running lights to activate the camera.

Winnebago has hidden a 4 pin connector behind that black plastic cover that is compatible with the Voyager, however, it just uses the 2 wires. I know those systems are quite expensive, and not justifiably so.

Instead, I recently purchased a Yakry Y27 HD wireless system on Amazon for $139.

Here's the link to Amazon.. it gets stellar ratings: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The nice thing is the seller provides a SECOND camera absolutely free upon request after purchase (I received my 2nd in just days).

I attached a strong magnet to the mount of the first camera, and use it to stick onto my tailgate to aid in lining up the trailer ball and tongue.. bought a 4-pin male trailer connector, and connected the cameras plus/minus wires to the appropriate pins. Then to use, just temporarily plug in the 4 pin connection to truck's outlet. it absolutely works great, has probably saved my marriage. The system comes with a 7" high-rez display for the windshield or dash, and the picture quality is incredible... literally not even in the same league as the fuzzy image I get on my factory Nissan Titan nav screen.

Then the second camera I mounted direct to the black plastic plate on the trailer's rear. No new holes except 2 into the cover plate itself. Each camera comes with male-female connectors, so I just cut off the existing 4 pin connector and wired up the connector provided with the camera. Wireless reception is flawless, and again, the image is spectacular!

The 7" dash display has the capability to display up to 4 cameras at once. I usually just have one camera at a time in operation... first, just the magnet-mounted one on tailgate to line up ball, then unplug it and stash away in the center console. Once hooked up and the 7 pin trailer connection is plugged in, then the rear camera is in operation, which I leave on at all times while on the road. (Reminder.. for either to operate, you must turn on the truck's running lights)
Pauldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just installed this on my new 2100bh https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are certainly cheaper options as mentioned above, depends on your budget, the extra money was worth it to me to be able to use the same plug and four holes drilled into the wall, works great.

Also, if you have a truck with auto lights, make sure you set them to just normal, was going crazy wondering why it wasnt working when I realized my trucks lights werent even on.
dmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Phil,
I bought the Vakry, and installation went smoothly in less than an hour. Since my pickup has a backup camera already, I can’t figure out where I might want a second camera. I’d like to cash in on the free camera deal. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Thanks Phil,
I bought the Vakry, and installation went smoothly in less than an hour. Since my pickup has a backup camera already, I can’t figure out where I might want a second camera. I’d like to cash in on the free camera deal. Any ideas?
Jim,
My truck also has a factory backup camera. However, it does NOT give a direct view to the actual trailer ball/hitch area on my truck. Read my previous full description.. I use the second camera with a strong magnet on the base that I can temporarily attach to the tailgate and plug into the truck's 4 pin trailer connector for power. It is absolutely perfect for matching up the ball with trailer tongue... I can consistently back right up to the perfect hookup spot on first attempt with ease. Once connected, I just unplug the camera, remove magnet from tailgate, and get on my way.

Another use for that same second camera? As a great forward viewing camera at the windshield when under way. It is great that the camera comes with its own quick connect fitting, so it is easy to connect it to the supplied lighter socket accessory, then face forward. We frequently like to take videos while underway in scenic areas, and the resolution of this camera is superb.

You're probably aware that the display unit does have a place to insert a memory card, and an option via menu to initiate recording. The nice thing is that you have the display there as a monitor so you can see exactly what you are recording.

One comment... I found the pairing of the second camera to be incredibly cumbersome and non-intuitive. It took me some 2 weeks and 5-6 communications with the company to finally "break through". Paired once, there are no further issues, even if you don't have a camera attached.

I wrote up a step-by-step description of the pairing process and added it to my recent review of the product on Amazon and I am copying here:

PAIRING INSTRUCTIONS

The pairing has to be done for a designated Channel/Camera .

There are 4 possible channels.. if you press the CH button on the display unit, it will show the channel (camera?) number selected in upper LH corner.

The initial camera comes paired, of course, with the channel 1. If you try to pair the second camera while channel 1 is being displayed, that camera over-writes the pairing for that position, so that the original camera is now no longer recognizable.

Here's the step-by-step process that worked for me:

1) Make sure both cameras and display screen are powered ON (If cameras are plugged into vehicle or RV wiring, then this means turning on your "running lights" to provide power

2) Press Menu, then +/- to highlight the CAMERAS menu.. Turn OFF cameras 3 and 4 so your display will only cycle between cameras 1 and 2 (This takes some fiddling, but eventually you'll figure it out)

3) Once out of the Menu, the originally supplied camera's output should be displayed on the screen, with CH 1 displayed in upper LH corner

4) Press CH once so that CH 2 is displayed in LH corner. The screen should show "No Signal"

5) Press Menu, then OK while the PAIRING menu is highlighted

6) The "Pairing" countdown will begin.. as soon as it does, disconnect the power to the target camera for 3-4 seconds, then plug it back in before countdown finishes

7) If all goes well, you will now see the output of camera 2 displayed on the screen

8) Press the CH button to toggle between the two camera displays

9) Once paired, both cameras should come alive when powered up with no further future pairing required.

10) Note that in the menu you can choose different screen presentations.. for example you can choose to have both cameras displayed on 1/2 half screen, side by side, or just one camera at a time, chosen by pressing the CH button
Old 04-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a new MM 2108DS and am looking for a camera, but the Voyager seems a bit overpriced. I wonder if there is another camera with the same mounting "footprint" of the voyager? If not, like stated upstream, the cover currently on the rig can be used as a mounting surface.

Can anyone tell me if the vehicle lights need to be turned on to provide power to the prewired camera connector?
Frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankf View Post
I have a new MM 2108DS and am looking for a camera, but the Voyager seems a bit overpriced. I wonder if there is another camera with the same mounting "footprint" of the voyager? If not, like stated upstream, the cover currently on the rig can be used as a mounting surface.

Can anyone tell me if the vehicle lights need to be turned on to provide power to the prewired camera connector?
Yes,
The wiring harness behind the Voyager plate is tapped into the running lights on the back of the trailer. Must have tv lights on for the running lights and camera to function.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Yes,
The wiring harness behind the Voyager plate is tapped into the running lights on the back of the trailer. Must have tv lights on for the running lights and camera to function.
Thanks Marine359. I may just go with the Voyager. Could not find another camera that completely matches the exact footprint as the cover plate. That and the pigtail connector hookup would make the reduction in install time worth the extra cost. Plus, it looks better.

As far as having the parking or headlamps always on I suppose that's not a show stopper. The rig has digital lighting so no big current draw there. I'd probably use it more when backing the rig and perhaps in heavy traffic. Cruising down the interstate I can see down both sides, the entire length, of the Micro with my side extended clip on mirrors.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the two wires under that cover are just extensions to the trailers running lights circuit, and the ability to power your camera from your TV by merely turning on the parking lights is the most logical setup.
Trust me, once you have that camera operating in full time mode you will wonder how you ever safely towed without it.

In fact, while I find the camera helpful when backing the trailer, I place much more reliance on my wife in position when backing into a pad
Old 05-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Backup camera

I am torn between the Yakry and the Voyager after looking at the comments. Everything about the Yakry looks good but I am concerned with a more complex installation vs the Voyager. I am sure I am not as handy as you in these matters. Is there much different in terms of the installation between the two to your knowledge? A simpler/doable installation may be worth the money if I end up seeking help to install it.

Thanks
shanghaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The Vakry is half the price, so I’m thanking Phil for the heads up. Installation is so simple it’s crazy. When you remove the plastic Voyager plate, you’ll see a wire harness with a 4 pin connector. If you had bought the Voyager, that camera would still use only two pins, black and red. Snip off the connector and connect the red and black to the Vakry connector wire red and black(not the camera wire) I just used twist on connectors and taped them well. There is a molded plastic circle on the back of the plate that is exactly the correct size for the Vakry push connectors. Drill this out. Before reinstalling plate, Hook up the camera push connector to the push connector wire you just installed, then test to make sure the camera is working properly.

If everything checks out, disconnect the push connector. Push all of the wires back into the opening in the coach leaving just enough to feed the push connector through the hole you drilled in the plate you want a tight fit. Put some waterproof caulk on the back of the plate before screwing it back onto the coach. So now you will have the plate on with only the push connector showing through the hole. You can caulk around the hole. Screw the mounting bracket to the plate with the four screws provided. Now mount the camera and adjust camera angle for the picture you want before tightening the four Allen thumbscrews on the bracket. Connect the camera push connector. You’re done.

Whole process took me 40 minutes. Please use a step ladder for safety. Good luck. I love this camera. And, Vakry will send you a free extra camera if you Request it.

Edit: one more thing ShanghaiMom. Make sure you pair the camera with the monitor before installing the camera on the coach. Vakry instructions on how to do it are good. Just follow the instructions. Don’t affix the monitor to your dash until you have everything working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60B8FB46-F177-43A3-859F-908910800FBD.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	178619  
Old 05-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

The Vakry sounds pretty ideal, great price and minimal install hassle.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much! Great response and detail. Even I might be able to do it!!
shanghaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I also purchased the Vakry and am extremely happy with it. An amazing bargain.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

To anyone who has the Voyager WVHS43, have you found a setting or a way to mute or lower the speaker volume? I can hear vehicles behind me when I'm motoring down the road.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:55 PM   #17
Winnebagel

Auto-Vox W7 Pro

I just installed the Auto-Vox W7 Pro and I’m quite happy with it. Clean install, picture and signal quality are excellent. Was about $100 CAD on Amazon.

https://auto-vox.com/product/W7Pro.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86539235-304C-4C20-A1E9-063E01B95BD9.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	179111  
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I installed the Voyager camera, but it has good and bad issues. Like Frankf wrote, the camera has a microphone that evidently can't be muted, so you hear road noise from the monitor if you have it on while driving. The intent was that if someone were helping you back-up the microphone would pick-up their voice. The camera lens is so wide-angled that it's hard to see detail at much of a distance. The main thing I think it's useful for is showing how far the rear of the trailer is from a close object while backing, and for some help to center the trailer where you want it. I had no problem with paring the camera to the monitor after everything was installed. And yes, either the tow vehicle parking lights or headlights need to be on to light-up the MM clearance lights to power the camera.

2021 Micro Minnie 2108DS
Ford Expedition
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I negotiated the camera and installation into the purchase price of my 2100BH. lol, that was all the negotiation, however. The monitor has volume buttons that I turn down when on the road.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

The buttons are Power, Select/Pair, Up, Down, and Menu. I missed it in the instructions but the Up, Down buttons control the volume if you're outside of the "menu" mode. If you're inside the menu mode, Up/Down navigates the menu.
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, voyage