Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Playing hide and seek to winterize a 27rbds

So we're coming down to the last few trips of the season before putting our new to us 2019 27rbds to bed for the first time. I'm starting to think about winterizing and haven't been able to find a few of the obvious characters needed for this party. In my 170s, they were pretty easy to find.

First, I looked at the underside and see the low point drains in the center, approximately under the kitchen island. Looking in the island cabinet, the floor and side panels are all screwed in place though one floor panel has what may be a finger/pull hole. Is this where the T valves are for the low point drains??

Second, the hot water heater is in the rear and I'm guessing the very quiet water pump is in the same place but, it could be under the bathroom sink cabinet. The cabinet where the HWH should be is right next to the toilet. What am I going to find when I remove the four screws on the louvered panel?
SWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This link may help
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

Also just a thought, you may want to put your rig info in the signature area of your profile. That helps folks a little more who are there to help.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I like most things about my new 1800BH, but they definitely didn't put much thought into making winterizing easy. All of the access is behind screwed in panels. I've already added an access door for the low point drains (mine are in the very back under the bunk). My next plan is to make the access panels under the sink easy to remove by replacing the screws with magnets and adding a third magnetized mounting point at the top of the panel.

I do appreciate that they included a siphon hose and valves to make it very easy to use the water pump to pull antifreeze through the system.
rstraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstraz View Post
I like most things about my new 1800BH, but they definitely didn't put much thought into making winterizing easy. All of the access is behind screwed in panels. I've already added an access door for the low point drains (mine are in the very back under the bunk). My next plan is to make the access panels under the sink easy to remove by replacing the screws with magnets and adding a third magnetized mounting point at the top of the panel.

I do appreciate that they included a siphon hose and valves to make it very easy to use the water pump to pull antifreeze through the system.
Replacing screws with magnets makes things much easier. Get cabinet pull when you buy the magnets. You’ll need a Dremmel to cut off excess screw endings. On 2108ds low point under sink, wh bypass left rear, pump with antifreeze siphon under a sneaky luan panel under kitchen sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	761D7D5B-9288-4731-9508-A68EEAFC23C2.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	181189  
Old 10-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

For OP
Pump almost always located on top of the fresh water tank. Locate where the tank is by looking under trailer, and your pump should be straight up from there. It may be hiding beneath a luan panel. Similarly locate blue and red tubes exiting underside of trailer near the rear. Your low point drain valves will be inside right above them. For wh, look for luan panel inside which is secured by four tiny screws, that is aligned with the wh vent on the outside. Remove the screws to get at the bypass valves.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWorth View Post
So we're coming down to the last few trips of the season before putting our new to us 2019 27rbds to bed for the first time. I'm starting to think about winterizing and haven't been able to find a few of the obvious characters needed for this party. In my 170s, they were pretty easy to find.

First, I looked at the underside and see the low point drains in the center, approximately under the kitchen island. Looking in the island cabinet, the floor and side panels are all screwed in place though one floor panel has what may be a finger/pull hole. Is this where the T valves are for the low point drains??

Second, the hot water heater is in the rear and I'm guessing the very quiet water pump is in the same place but, it could be under the bathroom sink cabinet. The cabinet where the HWH should be is right next to the toilet. What am I going to find when I remove the four screws on the louvered panel?

I have a 2015 27RBDS. Not sure I can help with the low point drains as I'm in South Florida and we don't winterize. This might help with that: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-184071-4.html

But I can tell you that when I got the camper in 2018 used from an AirStream dealer in CT when we took it on it's maiden voyage we got to our site to find we had no water. Turns out it had been winterized and we didn't know what to do to get it going. Ultimately we did remove the louvered pannel by the toilet and that is where the valves were turned for winterizing use and we had to return to I want to say a "closed" state. Either way, that was where the valves were.

How are you enjoying the 27RBDS? We absolutely love it. The dual opposing slides just can't be beat for opening up the inside. I don't understand why you don't see more of it. It's the deal breaker for us going forward.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! We'll be taking off the louvered panel and taking a peek under the island cabinet to see what we can find.
Loving the 27rbds. Stepping up from a Winnie Drop, it's HUGE! We've only had her since mid-July and we've only gotten her out a few times so still getting used to where things are and how best to function. She's a great size for hubby, me and Great Dane and we're looking forward to many adventures ahead.
SWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWorth View Post
Thank you! We'll be taking off the louvered panel and taking a peek under the island cabinet to see what we can find.
Loving the 27rbds. Stepping up from a Winnie Drop, it's HUGE! We've only had her since mid-July and we've only gotten her out a few times so still getting used to where things are and how best to function. She's a great size for hubby, me and Great Dane and we're looking forward to many adventures ahead.

Yeah, I think your low water point valves will be in that island somewhere.

Question for you about your camper, does your kitchen slide under the awning have a slide out cover as well? We had all kinds of issues with water coming in that kitchen slide and I want to add a slide out topper to it, but not sure it can fit since the awning rolls up on top of it and it's a tight clearance if you added a slide out topper. We basically use the awning as a slide out topper and when there is bad weather we leave the awning out just enough to cover the kitchen slide, but some water sill drips in from the stitches. Basically we have to ensure the camper is leveled in a certain way to make sure there is a bias to not allow any water to slide along the kitchen slide into the camper.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

No slide toppers (yet). Sadly, the big storms on the east coast last weekend uncovered a leak in the super slide near the rear, may be the window as the rear dinette seat was wet and water must have run down the wall as we found the slide carpet was also wet. She was closed up and I've inspected the seal on top of the slide and it seems fine. No water marks anywhere on the ceiling or walls. Spent the weekend drying her out.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I’ve a 2016 28rbds. Mostly the same as a 27 but with a full molded fiberglass front cap. The two pull handles for the drains are under the kitchen sink - the panel with the thumb hole. Remove the screws. I live in MS so my winterizing is limited to blowing out the lines with an adapter on the water inlet where I can hook an air line. I open the two valves and run 15-20 psi air through the system for a bit, including op faucets. Then I close the valves and remove the hot water drain plug on the outside and run air again until it’s empty and open the drains again. I also put RV antifreeze in the drains and a little in the grey and black tanks.

If I lived further North I would probably do a more thorough job.

Where are you located?
Old 11-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Have that same unit. The low point drains are behind the drawer under the oven. The water pump is under the sink, and lastly the water heater bypass is under the rear bunk. Good luck.
Tragus52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
This link may help
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

Also just a thought, you may want to put your rig info in the signature area of your profile. That helps folks a little more who are there to help.

Good Luck
As usual, Winnebago isn't very informative with travel trailer information, the listing you posted is only for motor homes, but thanks for the post.
Tragus52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter