Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Play tv thru trailer stereo system

How can I get tv in 2021 2208d's to play tv audio through the trailer's on-board stereo system? It does not appear to be connected. Tried several things but cannot get tv audio into trailer stereo.
woodsyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsyowl View Post
How can I get tv in 2021 2208d's to play tv audio through the trailer's on-board stereo system? It does not appear to be connected. Tried several things but cannot get tv audio into trailer stereo.
You should have the same Insignia TV/Connex stereo as my 2020 Minnie, and the TV is connected to the stereo via HDMI cable. To get TV audio to the stereo, press the ARC button on the Connex remote. Prepare to be underwhelmed!
Old 02-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Prepare to be underwhelmed!
Thanks for that... I needed a chuckle.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
You should have the same Insignia TV/Connex stereo as my 2020 Minnie, and the TV is connected to the stereo via HDMI cable. To get TV audio to the stereo, press the ARC button on the Connex remote. Prepare to be underwhelmed!
I find no HDMI cable from stereo. I pulled the cover plate and found a set of two wires with no end hardware wired to it. Could this be the wire that connects to TV? Also, there is a set of inputs along the bottom of the TV which are literally impossible to use without feeling them. I found one HDMI input along the bottom, but still have to solve the problem of wire coming from stereo to connect and use ARC.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The HDMI cable serves the dual purpose of supporting DVD playback on the TV and passing audio from the TV to the stereo. You won't be able to play a DVD without the HDMI cable. You should check your TV's manual to make sure you use the correct HDMI port, as usually only one port supports ARC (HDMI 1 on my Insignia). The Connex has just one HDMI port. Since your stereo is directly above the TV, running the cable should be pretty easy. It sounds like the factory just forgot this step.

The extra wires are for zone 3 speakers, which the stereo supports but our trailers don't have. You CAN run audio from your TV without HDMI, using the Connex RCA Audio or Optical inputs. But if your campsite neighbor offers to loan you his cherished DVD copy of Blazing Saddles, you'll need the HDMI cable.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

HDMI cable.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have tried using the HDMI cable but not sure about connections. TV is an ANYTYM, the cheapest TV I have ever seen. There is an HDMI slot on the bottom, in back. Impossible to reach and plug the stereo in there. TV is so close to wall and shelf that one cannot get fingers in there. Also, I can't see how to maybe take the TV off it bracket. It does not swing or move out from wall any way I can see. Got any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On my TV, the mount snaps/locks against the wall for travel, but I can give it a tug and it pulls out to articulate. I know there are some 2108DS owners here that could give you more accurate info, as my mount might be different than yours. You might try posting your question on the Micro Minnie Thread, as it gets more traffic.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I really don't know if this will help since my Minnie is a 2250DS but here goes. Shortly after we bought the trailer in 2018 the TV died and Winnebago paid me a small sum of money as warranty for the TV. I put some with it and bought a Samsung Smart TV which has been great. The Samsung has the same HDMI connections as the previous Insignia. The first photo shows the HDMI/ARC cable that comes from the stereo.

This is the stereo. Turn it on and press the Mode Display button until you see HDMI ARC. If the TV is off the stereo will turn the TV on. TV sound through the stereo is pretty good. That is all there is to it.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

TV audio

I didn't care for any of the options available with the factory equipment and added a small sound bar from Walmart. It works well!!!

It's mounted just above the TV (used as a monitor in the picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Pi.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	177681  
MM9995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:54 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM9995 View Post
I didn't care for any of the options available with the factory equipment and added a small sound bar from Walmart. It works well!!!

It's mounted just above the TV (used as a monitor in the picture)
Great idea!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks group for all the great tips on this playing tv through unit stereo. I was finally able to get the job done with your help. The hdmi cable falls out of bottom tv input every time we go on road. A bit of gorilla tape cured that. Did I mention this is cheapest tv I have ever seen. The smart tv upgrade explained I this thread sounds good next.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

@woodsyowl, did you figure out how to pull your TV off the wall? I see an articulated arm was shown earlier. Mine has a wedge style mount so it's tight to the wall and stays that way. But you really can push UP on the TV to dislodge it. It's probably pretty snug from the factory, and I suppose you really want it to stay that way. Once you push it up about an inch, you'll find you can lift it forward and out. Then you can finally see those connectors on the back or bottom!

My solution for the TV was to get rid of it . I'm starting to think the same of the blasted stereo. I have a Bose portable speaker that sounds WAY better. And I can put it away or bring it outside (not sure who actually does that).
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsyowl View Post
Thanks group for all the great tips on this playing tv through unit stereo. I was finally able to get the job done with your help. The hdmi cable falls out of bottom tv input every time we go on road. A bit of gorilla tape cured that. Did I mention this is cheapest tv I have ever seen. The smart tv upgrade explained I this thread sounds good next.
This is the TV I bought when the Insignia TV went bad. I liked it so well that bought a second one that we use on the outside of our Minnie when camping.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6202105

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

How do you connect the stereo to Bluetooth?
kstiles13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I just finally figured this out after having the trailer for 3 years. I just couldn't understand why they would not set up the TV to work through the Jensen stereo head unit and play through the trailer. So last weekend I read as much as I could about the Jensen TV and Stereo Head unit. There was a TV out and an audio In on the Stereo so it should work. I took out the Stereo Head unit and was about to run an RCA cable to connect what I assumed was not there only to find it was already set up. But why wasn't it working? Read and re-read the Jensen documentation online and found nothing.

Finally, on some Forest River forum I found the answer. You have to turn off the Speakers in the TV menu to get the audio out to work, also I think there was a set to "fixed" audio source or maybe it says that after you turn off the speakers. Then on the stereo unit you use Aux 1. Finally it works! The audio of the TV plays on my house speakers in the RV.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Prepare to be underwhelmed!
I wonder if it’s even possible to buy a cheaper or crappier stereo/speaker system than the Connex. I dunno if you’ve been keeping up with current events on late night tv, but you can get a free Connex system when you buy a set of Ginsu knives.