Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Plastic Backsplash Solution???

Is there a solution for keeping the plastic sheet material, (not the wall covering) that is used for a kitchen backsplash on many of the current trailers, in place?

Most of the 2529RG folks have the same problem we have, when the plastic gets hot in the summer it expands and "bubbles" away from the wall behind. In the case of the 2529RG this plastic material is held in place with adhesive strips, which definitely don't get the job done.

Our trailer is in for warranty work, and the backsplash issue is one of the items on our list. But I am wondering if there is a solution that will keep the backsplash in place. Has anyone used contact cement, or other method that solved the problem? I am wondering if the solution is removing the plastic and replacing with adhesive tiles? Maybe metal or stone tiles that do not expand as much in the heat as the plastic.
TwoFrom93449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

John,
Had the same issue with our 2021 Minnie 2529RG. The dealer used some cheap silicone caulk that lasted 4 or 5 months.
I cleaned off all the old caulk and put some Super Glue (Bonds Instantly) with a toothpick along the bottom of the backsplash at one or two inch intervals as I pushed the backsplash towards the back wall.

As that set up, I added a few more drops to Super Glue along the backsplash / cooktop, pushing the backspash in as far as I could..

I allowed that to set up overnight, then used "Loctite Instant Grab Power Grab Ultimate" along the bottom of the backsplash where it meets the cooktop. Used blue painters tape to give me a nice straight edge. I allowed that to set up overnight and applied an additional bead of Loctite.
So far, so good.
travelkids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob,
Have you been in the heat since you reattached your backsplash? I think we are going to remove all the pieces of backsplash. Maybe cut them into more manageable sizes, and use contact cement or construction adhesive to reattach.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

John,
Nope, no hot weather camping since I repaired the backsplash. Temps here are now into the upper 60's and lower 70's. IF, and that's a big IF, the repair job does NOT hold, we'll most likely remove the plastic backsplash and go with a "Peel and Stick" tile product from one of the big box stores.
Here's a photo of the goop I used to fix the backsplash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goop.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	184531  
travelkids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob. We would also go to the thin metal or stone tile/sheet. Advantage is those products have the adhesive on the back. We are just wondering if it is worth spending any time on the existing material. Guess we'll wait to see what the warranty fix is.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

In my experience with construction adhesives such as the Power Grab it will never come off and if it does it will take the wall surface with it.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Getting a failed solution off is also a concern. Think the plastic material WB used is not good for the backsplash. If we go to tiles/sheet designed for the backsplash we are considering running around the cabinet on the left of our stove.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Lauri & Joe

Hubs and I both remarked on the plastic backsplash being inappropriate for around the stove when we were shopping for our trailer. We did buy a 2108 and are still contemplating whether to replace it. Now I’ll wait to saw if it bubbles up and replace it then.
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Our 2021 MM 2306BHS had the same problem, we had the dealer replace it on warranty.
Well, the new one done the same thing. Not a very good design.
guzz3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

My situation was different in that my original backsplash was a mirror. I installed peel and stick metal tiles from either HD or Lowes and they've been great.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
My situation was different in that my original backsplash was a mirror. I installed peel and stick metal tiles from either HD or Lowes and they've been great.
Our 2016 Minnie Winnie came with a funky kind of back splash in the cooktop area that appeared to be 1/2" MDF coated with some kind of green covering with rosette appliques. I suppose it would have functioned as a functional fire stop, but boy was it ugly.

We took it down with a fair amount of effort - a pretty good adhesive was used at the factory. Like Bob C we replaced it with adhesive-backed metalic subway tile that came in 12 x 12 panels. They have stayed in place for several years now, including being stored over winter in below zero weather in Alaska, and this summer in New Mexico heat of well over 100 degrees. Not a single one has loosened.

One caveat: we never used the stovetop and have no intention of ever using it.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

WB warranty will only cover reattaching plastic backsplash. Our problem is mainly on the panel to the right of the sink. I think it is a tight fit, so when it expands it buckles. Will try to get repair shop to trim 1/16" off the bottom and top before reattaching, can caulk any small void. Also think WB used too small adhesive tape (1/2"). Looking at installation directions for panels online, they use 2" foam tape about 6-8" C-C.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
Texasprinter

Backsplash

I figured the dealer would do some quick fix. I was thinking of cutting the backsplash at the bottom to relieve the stress and use some expandable silicone to fill in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
John,
Had the same issue with our 2021 Minnie 2529RG. The dealer used some cheap silicone caulk that lasted 4 or 5 months.
I cleaned off all the old caulk and put some Super Glue (Bonds Instantly) with a toothpick along the bottom of the backsplash at one or two inch intervals as I pushed the backsplash towards the back wall.

As that set up, I added a few more drops to Super Glue along the backsplash / cooktop, pushing the backspash in as far as I could..

I allowed that to set up overnight, then used "Loctite Instant Grab Power Grab Ultimate" along the bottom of the backsplash where it meets the cooktop. Used blue painters tape to give me a nice straight edge. I allowed that to set up overnight and applied an additional bead of Loctite.
So far, so good.
Texasprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #14
Texasprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz3601 View Post
Our 2021 MM 2306BHS had the same problem, we had the dealer replace it on warranty.
Well, the new one done the same thing. Not a very good design.
Since it is not very fire proof I think I will just replace it.
Texasprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I saw on a Facebook winebago group someone cut a 1/8" off the door side of the bottom of the backslash with a utility knife, then silicone the back and bottom. They claimed it worked. I have the same issue. I will probably go that root. It looked pretty good.
Rbcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I wish I had a piece of the plastic backsplash that I could experiment on cutting. I doubted the utility knife, thought I would have to use the thin blade with our oscillating multi-tool along 3/32" thick metal to guide. The utility knife would be better, just not sure how it would cut.

Maybe results from someone that has tried cutting to create reliefs??
Old 11-04-2022, 06:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure how to post a pic on this site.but I have a pic on what they did. The only thing is I think they used a white silicone I would of used a clear. But the group on Facebook is mirco mini owners.if your on Facebook.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I sent two pics on your e-mail. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to do it on this site.
Not very computer savy
Old 11-04-2022, 07:47 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

To post pics, have them as a file on your computer. Hold the camera with button on top if using cellphones or they will be upside down, crooked, etc.
1. Hit "go advanced" at bottom right

Name:	post pic.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	184566

Name:	post pic2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	184567

Don't miss item four or you get to start over!!

To put the pic in the post instead of at the bottom. Put the curser/mouse pointer where you want the picture after downloading it, then click on the paperclip to get attachments and click on the one you want at that point!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I trimmed 3/32" off with a new/sharp blade in a utility knife using a framing square laying flat to get the cut line, took my time, maybe ten passes. Bulge is gone. Part of the bottom edge is right on the counter. I will trim or sand more in that spot. I want to see 1/16" air space all along bottom edge. I will silicone the bottom seam with counter, but am not going to do much adhesive tape on the back until I see how it does in summer heat. Looking at online sources for backsplash material, WB is way light on the amount of adhesive tape they are using. Site I looked at recommended 2" tape every eight inches. I will eventually do the same thing to the backsplash behind our stove.
Window areas in the corner are not a problem because the pieces are not wide. WB did not account for the backsplash panels expanding, and made the large ones too big!