Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #21
Micro Mini 2108TB

To you it may be sour grapes, but not to me. In the sales brochure it does not refer to warranties as applying only to the first owner. It states your (that's me) trailer is warranted for three years from the date of purchase by the original owner. The original owner is referenced to provide a time stamp for when the trailer's warranty starts. There is also a sticker on the front of the trailer proclaiming that the trailer is warranted for three years. And seriously, what does ownership have to do with product quality?

The problem was that the caulking around the hatch had not been applied correctly. Mold and holes in the Aspenite do not appear in a matter of weeks. That is what the dealer who repaired the trailer told me. He was surprised that Winnebago did not stand by their product with better service.

So I stand by my statement that the reputation that Winnebago has is no longer deserved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 yr warranty.png
Views:	41
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	181344  
Senecio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

This is from the Winnebago website.

You should be able to click on the link and get to the warranty.
A lot of legal talk...you'll need a competent attorney to sort out exactly what it says, but as I read it, any appliance (water heater, refrigerator, air conditioner, etc.) is covered by that manufacturers warranty and not Winnebago.

https://portal.winnebagoind.com/prod...cument2013.pdf
travelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago warntyMy last 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senecio View Post
To you it may be sour grapes, but not to me. In the sales brochure it does not refer to warranties as applying only to the first owner. It states your (that's me) trailer is warranted for three years from the date of purchase by the original owner. The original owner is referenced to provide a time stamp for when the trailer's warranty starts. There is also a sticker on the front of the trailer proclaiming that the trailer is warranted for three years. And seriously, what does ownership have to do with product quality?

The problem was that the caulking around the hatch had not been applied correctly. Mold and holes in the Aspenite do not appear in a matter of weeks. That is what the dealer who repaired the trailer told me. He was surprised that Winnebago did not stand by their product with better service.

So I stand by my statement that the reputation that Winnebago has is no longer deserved.
My last 2 motor homes have been Winnebago 31 ke and now a 31G .I have no complaints about Winnie.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Just wanted to post a quick update.

I tried to get Winnebago to upgrade the 2529RG at the second dealership. I asked them to upgrade the tires to Goodyear and upgrade the fridge to a 12v but both of those things weren't able to be done per Winnebago.
The GM from the original dealership (who was out of town the week of my pickup) called me and said he wanted to make it right. He didn't care about the sale and if I wanted he would refund my money but he asked me to give him the chance to make it right. He would give us everything we wanted with the exception of the theater sofa which I originally thought had been changed in 2022 but it actually was only for a run where they couldn't get the correct ones so they used those (he looked but couldn't find one in another unit). He then offered another $500 off the deal to help offset the cost if we were able to find a theater sofa we liked but he said right now furniture is so backordered that he didn't want to order.
He called that they had a trailer arriving on Black Friday and asked if we wanted to look at this one before any work was done to it and see if it passed. I asked him about the roof and he checked and said it was OK - we drove 1hr 15min and looked at the inside of the trailer which looked good but then checked the roof and found the back to be rippled again. It was much better than the last one but we went to a section in the lot that had 6 other Winnebago trailers and climbed up and looked and everything was perfect. We talked to the GM again and told him that this wasn't acceptable either (see pics below). He said he will find us another one and will check it out before we drive there to see it for ourselves.
You might think I am crazy for going with this dealership again. I really like the floorplan of this unit. We checked out some other models and floorplans since the first trailer failed and we have found nothing close to this trailer. I am trying with this dealership because I was very happy with the GM and he understood completely what we were saying. If this was spring here in PA it might be more frustrating but right now I just want to get it correct.
I don't know what is going on with the 2529RG production but I have never seen roofs looking that bad - I didn't think to check the manufacture date on the one today but the original was 11-21 and was release around the 4th.

Senicio - I do feel sorry for your situation and what I found on this trailer could have caused us or a future owner these same problems in a couple of years. I can't stress enough how the PDI is so critical in not getting something that has these issues. If the owner of yours after there was a problem patched up the leaks there really wouldn't be a way for you to know that it had leaked. I don't really think that Winnebago is responsible because as an owner the seals should be checked every few months.
It is a shame that you aren't able to enjoy the trailer.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

So disappointed...
The GM at the dealership is working hard to try to make this right, however, he is getting nowhere with Winnebago. He has had several units of the 2529RG checked and all the recent ones seem to have the same issue with the roof not being tight. Winnebego is claiming it is fine but he and the salesman both agree that they wouldn't be buying either of the two units I saw (the last one wasn't that terrible per the salesman). I know the dicor does settle down as it ages and gets warm but to me the membrane is where I have the issue as well as there being too much dicor at spots and it would form puddles. The GM asked them to check on the roof of one unit as manufactured and send it to him but they wouldn't do that.
The Winnebago main sales rep told me "We have produced the most of this (model) and don’t have significant feedback or warranty dollars. If we had field issues, we would look to correct our process." - So they don't see the issue they are having.
The GM said they have a couple of units scheduled for late in January and February that he will check and let me know but he isn't really hopeful.
The GM on his own said he would refund my $5,000 deposit and would give me the exact same offer if he does come across one that works.
So even though we loved the layout of this model we will be looking at other models and manufacturers over the next month or two but maybe we will still end up with the 2529RG.
I had higher expectations from Winnebago.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:23 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

@mrlichty - Unbelievable what WBGO is trying to pull. Can't say I blame you. Good luck in your search and hope you check back-in to let us know what you finally decided upon.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

I had ripples a bit like this temporarily when I installed the Maxfan on the front vent. They went away within a couple of weeks. I remember reading about it and apparently Dicor does this (degasses a bit while curing) sometimes. I’d blame it on the trailers being delivered a bit too “factory fresh” except that you’re not seeing it on the others delivered with it. Did the ripples ever go away on the first one you rejected? Very peculiar.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:29 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlichty View Post
The Winnebago main sales rep told me "We have produced the most of this (model) and don’t have significant feedback or warranty dollars. If we had field issues, we would look to correct our process." - So they don't see the issue they are having.
Of course they don't have warranty dollars. They don't honor their warranty.

I had tons of water leaks on my 1800BH, basically everything leaked. I had to fix it all myself because I couldn't wait 4 weeks for a repair while I was in the middle of a cross-country trip.

I sold a 2014 Coachemn Apex that we had ZERO issues with, thinking we were getting an even better trailer in the Winnebago. I did so based on a belief that Winnebago was a premium brand.

They better get their **** together, or they are destroying their brand.

I was wondering what causes the rippling on the roof. I also saw some of that when I replaced my fan. Backtrack is right. I don't think it's off-gassing per se, but rather plasticizers in the Dicor that leaches into the membrane until it does flash off. But I'm no expert on roofs. What bothers me most is the sloppiness of the installation. And all the other problems.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

A horrible story of incompetencies stacked one upon another, but not surprising to me. The RV industry is a crude industry from a manufacturing POV. And because of industry consolidation, where each maker owns dozens of brands, there is precious little differential quality available.

When i bought new a 2011 Airstream TT, I ignorantly thought I was buying a super premium brand with a rich history of deluxe quality. The joke was on me, of course! When a manufacturer of trailers for 75 years hasn't yet figured out how to make them leakproof, you have to assume that the best and brightest industrial and mechanical engineers just don't go to work in the RV industry. 10 years later, and on my third RV, I can say with confidence that the engineering skill in the industry is close to non existent. RVs are designed for the most part by decorators, whose main concern is making the interior look "elegant and homey" so that wives will go along with the big purchase. The "systems" end of it is just to search catalogs of lowest-bidder parts and pieces that can be strung together by unskilled labor. The same janky water heater in my cheap 2010 16-foot off brand trailer was in my new 2011 $60,000 Airstream! So, I learned that reality and lowered my expectations.

I'm still totally enthused about RVing, and RVs, but now I know that I have to be willing to fix and repair more or less constantly. No more illusions.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Hi all,
I wanted to update everyone on our situation.
The GM from the dealership seemed very concerned back in December and he said they were getting more in late January or February... I sent him text in January and he said nothing yet but middle of February. I called him in the middle of February and he had a completely different feel during our discussion. They still had the 2nd one we rejected and were taking it to a show and other than that he had nothing. He actually made a stupid comment about they might be discontinuing that model and couldn't get anymore - I called him out right away with they were a new design for 2022 and why are you taking a unit to a show if you can't get any more of them? I said if there were 5 of those bought at the show where do I fall in line with those units? He said if one of those people rejected it that we could possibly get that one - certainly not acceptable.
Around the same time the original salesman from Michigan called me to see what the status was and I explained it to him. He said they had one there that matched what I wanted with 12v fridge and theater seats. He knew I had certain expectations of the roof and he offered to take pictures of the roof and send them to me. This has happened over the last couple of weeks and the roof is much better than the 2 we rejected. He offered to inspect the trailer (he has the list of items that failed and a copy of the PDI we will be doing). He offered to have their techs work on the trailer and get everything correct then send it down to the PA location for us to pickup (after our own PDI).
So that is the status of us becoming Winnebago owners. We looked hard at other brands and models since we really weren't sure that we would be getting a Winnebago. We just couldn't find something not too long - with good payload capacity - with good tank size - with theater seats and the ability to sleep a 3rd person for family members who go along on occasion.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #31
Site Team

I guess the hard part is finding one with theater seats.

I found this one in Arkansas:

https://www.bayirdrvoutdoorandmarine...r-rv-jBqk.html

and this one in Iowa:
https://www.harrisonrv.com/listings/...29rg-stk-2158/

Is traveling to purchase not something you're willing to do?
Old 03-19-2022, 09:47 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Because of the price I was given at the show I was hoping to stay with the same dealership who said they would still honor that price.
I also would worry with the warranty work - getting a unit from far away would really cause us issues with getting things fixed.

Thanks for checking
Old 03-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

This is one that I would do over, given the chance. The dealer was delivering quite a few rv's the day we took delivery. Everything was rushed. We did record a good bit on our cell phone but with a new class a there was a lot to go over. About half way through the PDI, we discovered that the washer/dryer was not installed. 4 plus hours later we resumed the inspection after the w/d was installed. Again, rush rush rush. By the time we actually took delivery we were brain dead.
Please insist on enough time to do the PDI thoroughly. Take notes, record if you can. Unless you have a very good memory, you will not remember some of the info discussed. Make the dealer give you the time to make sure you are comfortable. In addition, you will be surprised how much isn't covered in the owners manual.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I actually was thinking about this the other day.

Is it possible that this isn't a "defect" but just that the unit is too fresh?

I seem to remember that when I was doing some work on the roof, changing the fan unit, and applied a bunch of sealant, the roofing when all saggy like that, but over time, it straightened out.

I think what might be happening is that plasticizers in the sealant, is leaching into the membrane, making it saggy like that temporarily, until the plasticizers evaporate.

Just a thought.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I actually was thinking about this the other day.

Is it possible that this isn't a "defect" but just that the unit is too fresh?

I seem to remember that when I was doing some work on the roof, changing the fan unit, and applied a bunch of sealant, the roofing when all saggy like that, but over time, it straightened out.

I think what might be happening is that plasticizers in the sealant, is leaching into the membrane, making it saggy like that temporarily, until the plasticizers evaporate.

Just a thought.
It is a good thought. We had discussed this earlier and I have experienced the same with sealant. The difference here in my opinion is the roof membrane was loose in many places and I worry that the winds will be blowing those areas which will loosen the sealant and form areas where water could seep in and cause damage. Plus the application of the sealant was very poor with areas that will certainly cause puddles at critical points on the roof. We witnessed that on the 2nd unit which had a couple foot dark area at the front corner where water sat until it evaporated because of the L shape of the applied sealant.
mrlichty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:35 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

We are finally owners of a Winnebago 2529RG.
We arrived at our 10:30 appt to find out the trailer was offsite getting inspected (again not ready for our appt time). It came in around 10:40 but then they were getting it ready. We were able to start with the trailer around 11:00 after I said we could start on the outside looking the trailer over.
The unit that came in from Michigan had a roof that was acceptable (we had pictures taken and we approved before they shipped)...
Not that there weren't issues.
** All these items we specifically talked to the salesman from Michigan and he was having his people do the PDI so it was done correctly.
-There was a leak under the bathroom sink - tech fixed it by tightening everything and it stopped the leak. **
-We ran the shower for several minutes and there was water that came out from under the shower. There was no caulk around the drain or an area near where the roller slide for curtain was located. Both were fixed up by techs in about 1/2 hour. **
-The drawer under the fridge was very difficult to close and didn't latch closed so would have slid open during travel. Tech found one of the side rails on the drawer a screw fell out and that caused the issue. He fixed.
-One of the windows in the kitchen had a horribly loud screech when opening and wouldn't latch correctly when closed. The tech worked on this and was able to make it better but certainly not perfect.
-The charging pad didn't work - Tech was unable to fix because he couldn't get to wires without a lot of ripping things apart. There are other plugs and USB there so we accepted
-Bedroom screen door would barely latch but any force on door would pop it open.
-Bedroom curtain wouldn't stay up - quick fix by tightening string
-The unit didn't have the counter extension ** the said they would order one to be shipped to us
-It didn't have the DVD radio (nice when camping state campgrounds with electric but without Wifi or great signals due to remote locations.**

Then we had tested most everything and finally got to start paperwork while they drained tanks and winterized it again. We came out from that to find the tech couldn't close the grey tank after he drained it. He determined that the valve was bad. He ended up cutting the underbelly liner in order to get to valves (the piece was too big do take off the whole liner). He tried to get it working but couldn't so he went to parts store (not on site) and got a new one.. more cutting of liner and replaced the valve. He then taped it together.
We ended up leaving with the trailer after 7pm

When leaving I locked the outside door handle to kitchen and closed the hand rail over the door. When we got home the door was open but held mostly closed due to the hand rail being closed. Learned a lesson to make sure I am locking the padlock not just the handle lock.

Today we noticed that the floor is extremely noisy when walking on it. We have to evaluate this more. it is still hooked up to truck (on flat driveway) but stabilizers are down to see if that helped but it is still noisier than we would expect.

So we are happy that we have a trailer now and were able to book a couple of weeks of camping and plan some shorter trips. I hope we covered most major things but I am worried for my first couple of trips in the trailer.

The moral of this long story.
I strongly suggest to do a PDI when picking up a trailer - I know there are people who do the walkthrough and are taking the trailer without even looking it over before signing paperwork. At a minimum the repairs are done right away instead of you having to take it back in and weeks of not having your trailer and at best you could be saving yourself from getting a trailer with major issues that were caught by others who did a PDI and rejected the trailer.

Thanks for all the suggestions and for following along with our journey.
I will make sure to say hello to Winnebago owners we come across and hopefully will meet up with some of you at some point.

Mark
Old 03-30-2022, 04:15 PM   #37
Site Team

Thanks for that thorough, but sad none the less, review of the current state of things.

I hope you'll write that up in a letter, along with your previous roof troubles and send that to WBGO Corporate. Perhaps you can call first and get a name to address the letter to.

You did so good testing everything and making them fix it right then and there.

Congrats. Let us know how the first camping trip goes.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:12 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

mrlitchy,
We had some of the same issues in our 2021 2529RG,,,,the leak under the bathroom sink in our Minnie was due to the tailpiece not fitting into the p-trap. We replaced the p-trap (from HomeDepot). I suggest you check to insure the tailpiece actually fits into the p-trap on your Minnie.
The drain for the shower was loose....I unscrewed the inspection plate (held on by two screws) and tightened it. No more leak. We've not experienced a leak from the shower curtain track thankfully.
Had the exact same issue with the drawer under the fridge. When I removed the drawer to put in better screws on the drawer slides, I found lots of trash behind the drawer too.
Same issue with the screen door(s). I just added washers between the strike plate and the door frame. This also solved the problem we had (and you have) with the kitchen door not locking properly. The strike plate was not installed properly either – it did not line up properly with both the deadbolt and the latch bolt. It takes a little trial and error to get it to where the strike plate needs to be.
Creativepart suggests writing to Winnebago Corporate with your findings...I tried that and was completely ignored, but it did make me feel good about myself.
I also posted on the Winnebago Facebook page about the issues I had with our Minnie and the dealer we purchased our Minnie from.
Glad you now have the Minnie you wanted....we recently spent a week camping in Alabama and came home with NOTHING broke!
Good luck with yours!
Old 04-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Hi All,
We had our first camping trip and overall it went well.
We had some rain and there was a lot of water coming down between the awning and the trailer. We found there is a seam that wasn't sealed, however, we also saw at the top of the side of the trailer you can see a black mesh with just a little coating over it.. I also think that to the right of the mesh the wall doesn't seem to extend to the top and it is filled in with caulk.
What do you think? Should I be worried about this spot?

Other than finding this (and all the others that we knew about) we are happy with the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 3.03.22 PM.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	182509  
Old 04-15-2022, 02:27 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

mrlichty,
Glad to hear that your 1st camping trip went well.

Our 2021 2529RG is in the driveway and we'll be heading out on Monday. I looked at approximately the same spot on our Minnie as in your photo and our awning is butted right up to the sidewall. We've been in rain and water does NOT come down the sidewall of our Minnie.

Our camper is now off factory warranty and I don't have to mess with the dealer anymore! Yea!!
I have an appointment with a very reputable RV service shop later this month to have the slideout adjusted to my satisfaction. I told the dealer (and memorized it in an email) that I would be sending them the bill. We;ll see what happens.

That being said, yet another Lippert power stabilizer switch (3878740 has bit the dust. Amazon will deliver the new ones (bought a spare too) on Sunday. This is the second switch that has gone out.

Safe travels!