Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
New to this....

Optional A/C in Winnebago 2301bhs

When we were looking at the 2301bhs, it say on Winnebago's site, that with the optional second A/C installed it would be 50 amp service. I know one of the 2301's we looked at had 50 amp service.The one we took home does not...

When we stayed in our TT, it was plugged in. Both A/C's worked and appeared to blow cold air... Yet I found out were plugged into 30 amp service. How is this possible?

I did ask the sales man about it, the day we were leaving... He said he would look into it... Yet of course no answer as of yet...He stated that morning, that they probably installed 11.5 A/C units to make it run on 30 amp...

Yet looking at Dometic's website, it don't see anything lower than 13.5.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Related thread about dual AC units and 30 amp service:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3911953
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

The 2301bhs unit i recently looked had the 2nd a/c and the trailer was a 30amp service. Sales guy said it was b/c they were both 13.5k units. I did see something in the Winnebago literature that said the 2nd a/c was 13.5k with some type of smart energy management..
Dwelcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwelcel View Post
The 2301bhs unit i recently looked had the 2nd a/c and the trailer was a 30amp service. Sales guy said it was b/c they were both 13.5k units. I did see something in the Winnebago literature that said the 2nd a/c was 13.5k with some type of smart energy management..
Where would one find this literature?
Old 01-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is another thread on this subject that has a few details scattered throughout: link.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #6
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
Here is another thread on this subject that has a few details scattered throughout: link.
Thank you. I think I’m considering replacing front ac with a max air fan. Save that ac as a back up maybe.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
Thank you. I think I’m considering replacing front ac with a max air fan. Save that ac as a back up maybe.
It seems like it was working okay for you. What is your motivation for swapping it out? Is there not a roof vent in the bedroom? We had a fifth-wheel with a front AC (and a rear one). It was nice to be able to use either one (redundant source of cooling). The only thing I didn’t like was the AC took the place of a roof vent in the front bedroom. In cool/dry Idaho that would have been real problem for me. In hot/humid TX the AC was probably the better option.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #8
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
It seems like it was working okay for you. What is your motivation for swapping it out? Is there not a roof vent in the bedroom? We had a fifth-wheel with a front AC (and a rear one). It was nice to be able to use either one (redundant source of cooling). The only thing I didn’t like was the AC took the place of a roof vent in the front bedroom. In cool/dry Idaho that would have been real problem for me. In hot/humid TX the AC was probably the better option.

Well, not so much.... The one day we had to play with it "at lazy days" I did my best to run everything. Took a bit to learn cooking, an hoping I did not mess up convection...

I think both A/C's were running and blowing cold air... I know one was for certain (ducted)... Other did turn on, and was blowing air, took a bit before I figured out one side of control was just fan I guess... Other was A/C air.

However, the other day, I attempted to run TT on 2 paralleled Ryobi Gen sets. 1800 running watt each...

First, i learned I could not use surge protection due to open ground on gen sets. I need to work on that...
Ran it straight through, turned on both A/C units and overload on gens cut off generators. I ran the gennies again, turned on one A/C unit. It ran, when compressor kicked on, it would rev gen A/C seemed to turn off for a second and then turn back on. I ran it for a while, it did cool down trailer, however it was not that hot out...

As far as, having maxx air fan goes... My thinking, is if I am stuck in this trailer due to rain,when I'm guessing it would be difficult to run generators. It would be nice to have air movement in the trailer... Outside of sticking the generators under the trailer... I dont know... Still learning... I know controls on generator should not get wet...
Im not sure how I would hook up the maxx air fan to run off of 12v if I did remove the second A/C...
If I am hooked up to shore power, its not so much an issue. I can live with one A/C...
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System

Tags
winnebago