Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

On 2108DS Help running wire for battery monitor

I'm looking for any advice folks may have about running a narrow wire from my battery box into the storage pass-through at the front of my 2108DS.

I need to go thru the floor or wall of the trailer, and want to do so in the smartest way possible with minimum risk of damaging anything I might regret later. Figure some folks on this thread may have experience with the same kind of challenge.

I'm adding a battery monitor, and need to run the cable that connects the shunt to the display unit. The shunt will obviously be connected to the battery on the tongue frame, and my plan is to mount the display next to the solar charging unit on the front wall of the storage pass-through.

From what I can see, all existing cables seem to run beneath the trailer, and then up through various holes in the floor that penetrate the black Tyvek-like cloth barrier and then the actual flooring. These holes have been sealed with black foam (see photos).

Is my best option to pry out the foam sealant from one of those holes (the one at the front with conduit going up to the battery disconnect would be my preference), run my new cable next to some existing ones, and then re-seal with new foam? Or is there a better way? I also see a junction box under there -- does that offer any kind of good access into the interior?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conduit.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	182230   Click image for larger version

Name:	junction.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	182231  

Name:	foam.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	182232  
ZoraK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When I brought wires from underneath, up into the pass-thru, I used the existing hole used for the wires to the disconnect switch. The wires pointed to with the yellow arrows are the ones I brought up through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200616_1730281.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	182233  
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Fred!

Was the exterior of that hole where the corrugated conduit runs through sealed with spray foam? If so, I assume you just cut out enough to run your new cables and then re-sealed it with more foam?
ZoraK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraK9 View Post
Thanks Fred!

Was the exterior of that hole where the corrugated conduit runs through sealed with spray foam? If so, I assume you just cut out enough to run your new cables and then re-sealed it with more foam?
Yes, it was sealed on the bottom with black spray foam and I just cut a hole in it, ran the wires and re-sealed it.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you have a Bluetooth neg shunt battery monitor, just mount it inside the battery box and connect the red wire to positive battery terminal. If you don’t have one, they’re inexpensive and work well.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
If you have a Bluetooth neg shunt battery monitor, just mount it inside the battery box and connect the red wire to positive battery terminal. If you don’t have one, they’re inexpensive and work well.
Yes, in fact, so many folks that started with a Victron 712-BMK that had a remote display just hid the display rather than attempt to install it that Victron created the SmartShunt that ditches any display and just relies on the smartphone app for info.

The SmartShunt coast about $130 but really simplifies installation all while providing tons of info via the Victron App.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart.../dp/B0856PHNLX
Old 03-17-2022, 05:42 AM   #7
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraK9 View Post
I'm looking for any advice folks may have about running a narrow wire from my battery box into the storage pass-through at the front of my 2108DS.

I need to go thru the floor or wall of the trailer, and want to do so in the smartest way possible with minimum risk of damaging anything I might regret later. Figure some folks on this thread may have experience with the same kind of challenge.

I'm adding a battery monitor, and need to run the cable that connects the shunt to the display unit. The shunt will obviously be connected to the battery on the tongue frame, and my plan is to mount the display next to the solar charging unit on the front wall of the storage pass-through.

From what I can see, all existing cables seem to run beneath the trailer, and then up through various holes in the floor that penetrate the black Tyvek-like cloth barrier and then the actual flooring. These holes have been sealed with black foam (see photos).

Is my best option to pry out the foam sealant from one of those holes (the one at the front with conduit going up to the battery disconnect would be my preference), run my new cable next to some existing ones, and then re-seal with new foam? Or is there a better way? I also see a junction box under there -- does that offer any kind of good access into the interior?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
I have personally had success running additional wires in the wire loom in your 1st photo (corrugated conduit). Simply "fish" a rigid weed eater line into the loom and pull the wire taped to the weed eater line. It helps to have 2 people but not necessary.
This way you didn't make any new holes and the new wire is now protected within the loom.

Bobby

Tags
battery