Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Where I come around to is looking at how these are built by very much the same people that I work for and with. That leaves me worried at times because I know that every place I have worked, somebody screwed things up!
So I am not terribly surprised when I find things go wrong on rv's just like every other part of life. I can't seem to get around that so I look at what I can do to avoid it as much as practical and go looking for how things are designed and how they are meant to be put together. That certainly doesn't mean it WILL get done right but at least I feel better knowing there was a plan to do it.
So I get down to looking under and in things before I buy them. Pull a cabinet drawer open and look at how the wires and plumbing are run for starters. That is where I begin to come down to getting Winnebagos, as there are plans that I can easily look at here:
https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information
If I want to look, I find they show where and how each wire is to be run, what clamp is used and every tiny detail and that is certainly not done by lots of folks. If I can look at the plans, look at the wires and plumbing and see they match, I feel lots more effort was taken to at least get it planned right. Not that old Jim Bob on the line isn't going to mess with the plan but it sure beats the response I've found from other companies. I could not find the other end of a coax on a Thor and called tech services and the answer I got from them seemed to vary from, "We don't know to we don't care!"
Yes, service should be better but do I really expect it? NO!
I worked with both Jim Bob and Bubba and I know we did a few things wrong! Do YOU ever come home from work thinking that everything went as planned?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Dear Colleague,
I totally understand your frustrations. I had issues with my brand new 2018 26RBSS and had to have some warranty work done. I had similar issues with very poor warranty response times, inattention to existing customers, and dealership confusions. At the end of the day, everything was fixed and since it was fixed this summer it's been totally fine. No leaks, everything is fine, no mold. Our dealership stood behind their product and rallied for us with Winnebago. Just be persistent, calm, and professional. You will eventually get your repairs done. Leverage social media, print off these threads and show them to the Winnebago warranty people. They know the power of social media and they are learning to listen or they will lose. Years ago, before the internet, we had to rely wholly on "word of mouth" and if you were not lucky enough to have cohorts with the same product, you were out of luck. Today, with these blogs and bulletin boards and user groups, consumers can leverage the power of numbers to get things done. I know that Winnebago needs some Six Sigma Lean Quality work. Their output is riddled with quality issues, HOWEVER....I have read similar issues with ALL of the manufacturers of travel trailers and motorhomes. They bounce all over the road surfaces and joints get loosened and sealant cracks and things just loosen and shake. Hang in there. Life is short and at the end of the day if our biggest problems are with our "toys" being broken, then we're doing A-OK. Think positive and visualize a good outcome and it will manifest. Just remember to be patient, be polite, be positive, and try not to lose your cool with the warranty people or the dealership. Once they finally fix your issues you will enjoy MANY years of AWESOME RV experiences. This lifestyle is not for the faint of heart. There are SO many things that need constant attention (it's like owning a boat or an airplane) but at the end of the day it's so nice to enjoy a wonderful escape to the RV park or to sleep by the side of a running river. I hope this helps you find the reasonable balance that I desperately needed last year when I was struggling with my issues. It's very frustrating to pay a lot of hard-earned $$ for a travel trailer that cannot even be used until repairs are made. I get it. I went through it too. I can tell you (at the risk of sounding like I'm seeing life through rose-colored glasses) that it all worked out at the end of the day and your problem will settle down too. You have support here with all of who have been down this road before (pun intended). Cheers! John in Seattle
Old 12-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolang View Post
Dear Colleague,
I totally understand your frustrations. I had issues with my brand new 2018 26RBSS and had to have some warranty work done. I had similar issues with very poor warranty response times, inattention to existing customers, and dealership confusions. At the end of the day, everything was fixed and since it was fixed this summer it's been totally fine. No leaks, everything is fine, no mold. Our dealership stood behind their product and rallied for us with Winnebago. Just be persistent, calm, and professional. You will eventually get your repairs done. Leverage social media, print off these threads and show them to the Winnebago warranty people. They know the power of social media and they are learning to listen or they will lose. Years ago, before the internet, we had to rely wholly on "word of mouth" and if you were not lucky enough to have cohorts with the same product, you were out of luck. Today, with these blogs and bulletin boards and user groups, consumers can leverage the power of numbers to get things done. I know that Winnebago needs some Six Sigma Lean Quality work. Their output is riddled with quality issues, HOWEVER....I have read similar issues with ALL of the manufacturers of travel trailers and motorhomes. They bounce all over the road surfaces and joints get loosened and sealant cracks and things just loosen and shake. Hang in there. Life is short and at the end of the day if our biggest problems are with our "toys" being broken, then we're doing A-OK. Think positive and visualize a good outcome and it will manifest. Just remember to be patient, be polite, be positive, and try not to lose your cool with the warranty people or the dealership. Once they finally fix your issues you will enjoy MANY years of AWESOME RV experiences. This lifestyle is not for the faint of heart. There are SO many things that need constant attention (it's like owning a boat or an airplane) but at the end of the day it's so nice to enjoy a wonderful escape to the RV park or to sleep by the side of a running river. I hope this helps you find the reasonable balance that I desperately needed last year when I was struggling with my issues. It's very frustrating to pay a lot of hard-earned $$ for a travel trailer that cannot even be used until repairs are made. I get it. I went through it too. I can tell you (at the risk of sounding like I'm seeing life through rose-colored glasses) that it all worked out at the end of the day and your problem will settle down too. You have support here with all of who have been down this road before (pun intended). Cheers! John in Seattle
I agree with everything you stated, except; Six Sigma Lean Quality work.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I know the feeling but then I have also tried a number of other brands and come back to Winnebago as far better. Screwups happen and you are the current victim, so much depends on where you live. If it happens to be one of the "business friendly" states, you may be totally had. Texas state law almost totally negates motorhome warranty being practical as one has to take it to a dealer who sells that specific model. Not just that brand but that model!
Please explain the "Texas State Law" comment. I have never heard of Texas having any laws regarding where anyone has warranty work done, so please point me to that legislation.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Very well said, Jcolang!!!
Old 12-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Well, where should I start? We have had our 27BHSS for about 11 months now. Here is the list:
1. Slide out valences fell off the wall.
2. Sliding door hanging frame fell off the wall.
3. All the compartment doors leaked around the seals on the bottoms of the doors.
4. Entertainment unit died.
5. Chinese fan motor above the stove died.
6. Slide out leaks on the front side and back side.
7. Rain Water has been leaking into the undercarriage sealed bottom and soaked into the insulation, twice now.
8. King Jack antenna stopped rotating.
9. Kitchen faucet loosened up from the counter.
10. 4" rear bumper end caps are long gone twice now.
11. Slide out unit was grinding and shuddering when operated, still not smooth.
12. Slide out two burner stove top gas valves wouldn't turn! It was a China tolerance issue in the design of the burner unit. I had to install shims under the burners and piping to allow the valves to clear the top surface so you could turn the gas valves to turn them on. My fix, not the dealers fix.
13. Heater failed, Starts to run but Won't ignite the gas and shuts down. Waiting for parts now. This failure occurred when the heater was left on and the batteries went dead because I left the shore power cable disconnected for 5 days. You would think there was a low voltage protection circuit in the heater ignition board? Find that in your owners manual?? That should never happen.

I guess my owners observation could be summed up on the 2018 Winnie product by compiling all the broken failed stuff into three groups.

1. Slide out design sucks.
2. Bad China Parts
3. Bad locker frame design, where the door seal glue releases in the hot summer heat and the locker latching blocks don't hold the doors closed tight enough to provide a water seal at the bottom of the doors. The dealer solution is: Re-glue the gaskets back into place. Bend the door frame back into the storage compartment to pull the door latch blocks in to tighten the door onto the gasket when closed. As far as the Super Slide Out goes, the fix is not in yet, it still leaks when all the way in and all the way out. All I can do is to tilt the trailer over by a quarter of a bubble to the drivers side and let the water run out the base of the slide area so it doesn't run across the floor for now.
Medobson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Not to make fun of your situation, but your rig must have been the last one down the assembly line just before a three day weekend. I'm usually pretty tolerant of snafus, but I'd be highly upset with this situation too.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

I have followed this thread since it started this year. We bought our 2250DS 3/22/18. Pulled it home 220 miles. Had a heavy rain that night and the next morning I found a small puddle on floor right front by the bed. Called our dealer, RV Land in Kyle Texas. They had us bring it back 3 days later and they had it fixed within 3 hours. Putty, let setup, water test, rinse and repeat until it was fixed. We have pulled it over 5,000 miles this year and not another single leak. The only other problem that I had was 2 black lines developed across the face of the Insignia TV. Winnebago took care of that under warranty.
I guess the reason that I an telling you this is because I see a distinct trend here. The larger Winnebagos, series 26, 27, 30, have far more of serious warranty issues than the series 17, 18, 20, 22, 23, and 24. I hang out on other Winnebago sites and the same trend exists there. Our 2250DS has, other than what I mentioned, been trouble free. It is very well built but they never saw the need to vacuum the saw dust behind panels that you normally don't open. I'm sure sorry that you guys had so much trouble and I hope when things get corrected that it will all settle out and you can get back to having fun camping. Happy New Year!
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #49
Winnie-Wise

One thing I wonder about is if you buy a RV on a dealers lot how long has it sat there? Did the dealer check the seals as often as they should have if it had been there awhile?
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #50
Winnie-Wise

I found that if you ever take the skylight trim piece down, you'd better be prepared for a shower of sawdust. Our 2201DS came with a 28" Jenson color TV. I had an extra 32" smart TV at the house and after moving the TV mount a few inches lower, I got it installed in the camper. Now if I ever get a decent wifi signal, I have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime TV.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I found that if you ever take the skylight trim piece down, you'd better be prepared for a shower of sawdust. Our 2201DS came with a 28" Jenson color TV. I had an extra 32" smart TV at the house and after moving the TV mount a few inches lower, I got it installed in the camper. Now if I ever get a decent wifi signal, I have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime TV.
Bob, I mentioned the lines across the 32" Insignia TV. The way Winnebago handled it was for me to ship the bad TV back to the dealer in Kyle Texas and Winnebago sent a check to RV Land and in turn RV Land sent me a check. I bought a Samsung 32" smart TV and only had to modify the mount a little to make it fit. Did not need to move it down. The Samsung is noticeably better than the Insignia. We have really enjoyed the DirecTV dish when on the road and spending more than one night at a location.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #52
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2018 27bhss and also found water in the front pass thru. I found that the water was coming in at the marker light. Easy fix just seal everything I will remove a seal all the marker light. I still vary happy with my trailer
tbranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #53
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
I had the 26RBSS at the top of my list. I know one bad apple don’t spoil the whole bunch (baaby!) but this has me maybe moving it down a notch or two.
We just bought a 2019 26RBSS and after a ton of homework became our top pick as well. The choice was primarily made because of Winnebago's quality. We'll see
Big Bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bon View Post
We just bought a 2019 26RBSS and after a ton of homework became our top pick as well. The choice was primarily made because of Winnebago's quality. We'll see
Wish you all the best
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote