Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No Hot water on gas side

I have Atwood 6 gallon dual gas/ electric
Hot water production is fine on electric side
On gas side no hot water…. What happens is it makes the requisite 3 tries to start but on each try it attempts a start and the ignition lights the gas for several seconds it burns and then shuts down… what is the most likely issue!
T
TerryMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First check. Make certain you have the water valves in the correct position. Open to the tank. If water cannot enter the wh tank, the protection circuit will shut down the gas ignition.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #3

For more information on this subject, I suggest you do a search by typing "imnprsd atwood water heater" in the search bar above.

Or do a Google search by typing this into your google search bar:
imnprsd Atwood thermostat site:winnieowners.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Element & Thermostats On Front of WH.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	179905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood A10-4E (10 Gal) Water Heater Electrical Wiring.gif
Views:	78
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	179906  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
First check. Make certain you have the water valves in the correct position. Open to the tank. If water cannot enter the wh tank, the protection circuit will shut down the gas ignition.
Everything works and flows fine and it operates just fine in electric side!
Old 06-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
By pass the thermostat. Just unplug the wires and add a fuse or if your bold enough, use a pair a plyers with rubber handles to hold the wires together and see if you get ignition and the gas says on.

Then you have to decide if cleaning the bottoms of the thermostat, where is presses against the tank is all that is needed; or if you choose to replace both thermostats at the same time?
Ok I might be brave enough…. Which two wires I vaguely know that the Tatat has 4?
Old 06-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #6

Start with the ECO since according to the schematic it controls the Gas valve directly.

The circuit board monitors both thermostats, but if your electric wand is heating properly, I would guess your temperature thermostat is okay.

These are just safety switches really... that "open" to turn off the circuit.

So when you bypass the thermal-switch you are doing do for diagnostic purposes only.

And I would always replace both thermostats at the same time, and then keep the old, working thermostat as a back-up.

Note: These things work just like you home dryer thermostat mounted to the back metal panel. I.e., it opens when the metal the thermostat is touching exceeds the specified temperature.

Also, Atwood wire diagram vary, but the principles are 99% still the same.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Team

There are a number of gas water heater troubleshooting videos on YouTube that can be very helpful.

There are only a few parts involved: the gas valve, the nozzle, the igniter and the flame sensor. Depending on your RV's age... Atwood did have circuit board issues for a number of years a few years ago. So, that could be a problem, too.

The thermostats are high temp protectors. They rest on the tank and when they sense too high a temp they cut off power to the circuit board. So, I'm not clear on how they could be the source of a start-up ignition/flame issue. But, I'm not an expert.

Do the troubleshooting you find on YouTube and you'll have a better idea of what it might be.

Short of that you may need to bring in a RV Tech or visit a service center.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Also, if you post about your problem on www.irv2.com there is a member there called "old-biscuit" and he's an Atwood WH savant.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:43 AM   #9

On that I concur: old-biscuit is the defacto guru on this subject. We all got our schooling from him.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If you leave the water heater door open (on the outside of the trailer), does it stay lit? If so, it's almost certainly the igniter/flame sensor. I had this issue and all you have to do is push the electrodes on the igniter/flame sensor closer together. They were too far apart from the factory.
rstraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, water