Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Newbie with Deposit on 2021 Micro Minnie 1700bh

Hi all!

Just put a deposit on the trailer above. Super excited. We've been tent camping for 25 years, so this is a bold new step for us. I have more questions than is reasonable so I'll limit it to a few on this thread. Any insight would be much appreciated!

So this unit has the explorer package. We're priced at $19k + tax, title, etc. Dealer is including the 30lb LP tanks and cover, as well as some connectors and hoses. How's that price sound?

We plan to boondock as much as possible. This unit has the solar-ready roof. Is there recommended panels and upgraded batteries? Also, any videos of how to install the solar panels and get everything working?

I have a newer Tundra with a ball hitch. Should I invest in any fancy sway bars, load-distributing tow accoutrements?

And the final, silly, one: The kids are gonna wanna climb the ladder all day long and hang out on the roof. Safety aside, is that a bad idea? If they drag up a few beach chairs and chill up there are they going to damage it?

Thanks all! Feel free to chime in with any thoughts or concerns. I'm nervous and excited.

Edit: Just found out it has this axle recall, so I have to wait a few weeks to pick it up :(
green_juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome! Congratulations on the new trailer.

Unfortunately, I can't help on the price.

I just installed a 100W Renogy panel on my roof along with their 20 amp MPPT controller (kit off Amazon). It was a simple project. I'll add another 100W panel later. Your solar needs will depend on what you want to power (lots of research for you to do).

I do think you'll want a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway of some sort. I use one for my truck.

I'd recommend against using the ladder or roof for anything other than maintenance access. I can envision the feet of chairs damaging the roof membrane.

I'm glad you caught the axle recall, but sorry to hear you have to wait a bit. Hopefully you'll be out having a great time very soon.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info!

Was the solar install simply attaching the panel, plugging it in, and installing the controller in the area provided in the pass through? I'll likely want 2 panels as well.

I figured I'd do something hitch-wise. Any recommendations?

Also figured about the roof. I just keep thinking if I was a kid, I'd wanna climb that ladder all day and play on the roof.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The solar install is pretty much as you described. I installed the controller in the designated spot (and made all the connections). I also added a 20-amp in-line fuse to the 12V+ line to/from controller at the trailer tongue. I made a couple of 24" extension cables for the solar leads, then secured the panel to the roof and plugged it in to the MC4 connections on the roof. Obviously I used Dicor to seal the panel attachments and a couple pieces of Eternabond tape to keep the solar leads from bouncing around. Done.

I elected to go very old-school and low-tech for my hitch. It is just a Curt 8000/800 round spring-bar hitch. I also added a separate frictional anti-sway device. Lots of folks nowadays elect for weight distribution hitches with integrated sway control. You might search the forum here for more insights about the various options. I'm not informed enough to make a recommendation about the integrated units.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'd recommend that you buy a twist-on waste valve to ensure you don't have any issues if the inboard grey/black tank valves leak at some point. link to valve
I'd also recommend coating the shafts of the grey/black valve handles with white lithium grease every now and then to ensure that they don't rust and get stuck.

Make sure to do a thorough inspection of the trailer before signing the paperwork and taking it home. If there is a problem, you'll get much better service from the dealer before they have your money.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

That's all great advice. Thank you so much!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I don’t know the msrp on the 1700bh. But, I got more than $10,000 off msrp on the 2108ds I bought a couple of months ago. You can never rely on msrp as a guide. I paid $23k for my 2108ds, so seems to me that $19k for the 1700bh was a pretty good deal
Old 01-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I too say STAY OFF THE ROOF! NOT FOR KIDS! So many things can go wrong: Roof Leaks! Broken antennas! Cracked Solar Panels! Kids falling off!
Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

What kind of fasteners did you use to secure panel rails to roof?
Old 01-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
What kind of fasteners did you use to secure panel rails to roof?

Here is a link to the thread I started on this topic:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3883942

I ended up using #12 stainless screws, 1.25" long for the two that hit a roof truss and 3/4" long for the rest of them. We took it camping this weekend for the first time (since the panel install) and so far so good.

Tags