Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #21
KWP
KP

Trailer wiggle Bruce B

This may be a silly question and I didn’t see anyone mention it? Do you have stabilizer bars as part of your hitch? I have an anti-sway bar too that I put on when it’s really windy. Or on long haul on the highway. However, my stabilizer bars are part of my hitch and I always put them on.
KWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Tongue weight is important, But installing an inexpensive anti-sway does away with the problem. When we did trailer camping, I was good at correcting when the trailer started to pendulum. My wife didn't have a feel for it. This lead to a dramatic pendulum incident that actually started pulling the rear of our lead sled skidding left and right, until the trailer laid on its side. We had equalizers in place, by the way. We added a friction type anti-sway, and never had a problem again.
It looked like this one. It does require someone weld the plate with the small ball on the end to the side of the ball, and drilled holes to mount the trailer side too. But we're talking a 1/2 Hr. project.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/17200.html?
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Unless it’s a double axle. These trailers utilize torsion axles without weight distribution and must be towed completely level otherwise you will have premature axle failure
pmglidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

You using equalizer bars (or the equivalent)?
taz1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Trailer wiggle

Be sure that the trailer is level to maybe tongue slightly lower. Experienced this issue when we had a travel trailer. Your truck height is probably to tall to have a straight out hitch, a drop down is typically needed
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWEY View Post
Morning Bruceb,

All good suggestions, especially the sway control hitch. However, I didn't see any reference to trailer tilt/"attitude".

Typically, hitch height should be adjusted to have the trailer as close to level as possible. If you cannot adjust accordingly, than a slight tongue-down orientation is preferred. If the trailer is biased "nose-up", the center of gravity moves back resulting in increasing the possibility of sway.

Also note, when weighing the tongue, insure it is at the height of the hitch.

A level trailer also results in better tire wear as axle/tire loading is uniform.
all set up by the dealer.
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1357 View Post
You using equalizer bars (or the equivalent)?
WDH and sway control
Old 10-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Be sure that the trailer is level to maybe tongue slightly lower. Experienced this issue when we had a travel trailer. Your truck height is probably to tall to have a straight out hitch, a drop down is typically needed
did not look at this but it was set up by the dealer
Old 10-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmglidden View Post
Unless it’s a double axle. These trailers utilize torsion axles without weight distribution and must be towed completely level otherwise you will have premature axle failure
it is a tandem torsion axle
Old 10-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
The tongues are pretty high on the minnie, and I assume on the micro minnie. On my 3/4 ton Ram 4x4, the hitch height is pretty much perfect. If it were much higher, I'd have to remove the ball mount to open my tailgate. On my boat I have to drop it 8". But verifying proper height is important.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
it is a tandem torsion axle
It definitely needs to be level. Tandem torsion axles have serious issues if they are not towed level. This is due to the fact that weight isn’t distributed evenly across the axles if it isn’t towed level.

You can end up with one axle taking a brunt of the force causing early failure..
pmglidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

I'm wondering if there is a bent spindle or torsion arm on one wheel. It may have been damaged during transport. I could see this possibly causing an oscillation as the "bent" unit became loaded and unloaded as it tossed the trailer side to side. It might be hard to detect using your mirrors with all the trailer movement.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Update: the dealer contacted Winnebago and they said(after I gave them all the measurements) that it is an alignment issue and they are not covered under warranty.
The dealer knows they have to fix it, they are just figuring out how.
I will keep you posted.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The dealer knows they have to fix it, they are just figuring out how.
Really? On my torsion axle the mounting holes on the frame are slightly ovalized so all they will have to do is to jack up the trailer on on side, loosen the mounting bolts on one axle and force it forward or back to bring it into alignment. Easy-peasey.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

funny Winnebago or the dealer do not know that but then, winnebago thought it had leaf springs.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
the dealer contacted Winnebago and they said(after I gave them all the measurements) that it is an alignment issue and they are not covered under warranty.
Winnebago claiming sight unseen, either the symptoms or the axles, is quite possibly just blowing you off. I'm no mechanic, but I would expect a slight axle alignment error to cause tracking issues and tire wear rather than shaking.

For torsion axles, I would think measuring between axles rather than tires should be more accurate, especially on unlevel ground, or if the trailer was pushed at an angle to it's final position, like backing into my RV parking.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Winnebago claiming sight unseen, either the symptoms or the axles, is quite possibly just blowing you off. I'm no mechanic, but I would expect a slight axle alignment error to cause tracking issues and tire wear rather than shaking.

For torsion axles, I would think measuring between axles rather than tires should be more accurate, especially on unlevel ground, or if the trailer was pushed at an angle to it's final position, like backing into my RV parking.
the trailer is sitting on level ground and the measurement is off by the same amount between the tires or measuring between the hubs.

I looked up some information from torsion axle manufactures web sites on tandem axle alignment and they say the distance between the hubs should be no more than 1/8 inch difference side to side. I have 3/8s inch difference.

I am no expert and do not know if this is the cause of my trailering issue but it is not in spec. If anything else is wrong then it was set up by the dealer wrong.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

The hubs will give the same distance as the tires. I liked your original method of measuring between the same two points on the axle’s mounting plates or on the axle tubes themselves. This eliminates loading and the angle of the torsion arms as a variable.

It does seem like an easy fix. Pick the one you feel is straight, then drive that one up on blocks... loosen and move the alternate to the correct offset. Test drive.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
It does seem like an easy fix. Pick the one you feel is straight, then drive that one up on blocks... loosen and move the alternate to the correct offset. Test drive.
Thinking back on it I decided it may not be as easy as I implied. It was easy for me as I have a good assortment of tools along with an air compressor and several impact wrenches. The bolts holding the axle to the frame are sizable and seriously tight. It would appear that the mounting holes are shaped as they are to facilitate alignment. I would suggest putting the trailer on jack stands, removing both wheels and then move the mounts. There may not be enough travel on just one axle to take up the slack as, if I remember correctly, each mounting hole will offer less than 1/4" of movement.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

I was exaggerating a bit, but fundamentally it shouldn’t be a big deal for the dealer.

Tags
tow, towing