Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Micro Minnie 2108TB

New Micro Minnie - not impressed.

My Micro Minnie is 6 months old. The air conditioning wouldn't stay on (I fixed it by swapping out breakers - the dealership couldn't help), then we had the slide mechanism replaced (under warranty).
We just got back from our first big trip. After 1000 miles we opened the trailer and one of the burners has come off its pedestal. Just sat there unattached. Couldn't find the single screw so I taped up the igniter and lived with 2 burners. After another 600 miles we had a second burner floating about. I found the screw and re-attached it.
We have the "adventure package" which I assumed meant we can go into the woods. Since we were only on sealed roads this trip I assume "Adventure" means see what's fallen apart next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220811_205154.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	183832  
smifff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In defense of Winnebago, they don’t manufacture any of the components or appliances for their trailers. They just buy them and throw them in there without checking to see if there might be a problem with them. Just like every rv manufacturer in the industry. Component failures on new rvs should be expected. I don’t know anybody who has bought a new rv who hasn’t had at least one component failure.

Your burner problem is not unusual. Mine fell apart too. FS roads shake lots of stuff loose. This year, after using FS roads, my fridge fell out of its mounting. It wasn’t an easy fix, but I’m pretty handy with tools, so was able to repair and remount it better than it came from the factory. Winnebago claimed no responsibility, but agreed to reimburse me for parts I bought for the repair. There were 7 issues we needed to repair after picking up our new 2108ds. I didn’t want to waste time with warranty claims, so fixed them all myself.

Sorry to hear about your issues, because the Micro Minnie is truly a great little travel trailer. Sometimes, as one rolls off the line it’s not going to be 100%. I’d say mine was 90%, which was much higher build quality than 90% of the other new travel trailers on the market. If you’ve never owned a new rv, then what you’re experiencing can be disconcerting. I’ve owned many over the past 50 years; motorized and trailers. The Micro Minnie has proven to be the best build quality of all I have purchased. Hopefully repairs were made to your satisfaction so you can focus on piling up gobs of memories in your new Micro Minnie.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The RV marketplace is just completely different. Even the highest-end units have problems like this. It’s great that you are handy enough to solve these issues on your own (that is the best approach).

I had a few issues with mine, but thankfully all were things I could address myself. Winnebago was excellent about reimbursing me directly for the parts or simply providing the parts I requested.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Micro Minnie 2108TB

Thank you for your replies.

I'm not sure I buy your defense of Winnebago, they are responsible for what they put in their RV's but I take the point that **** happens.
This is not my first RV and I must have been lucky with the previous 4. Only one had any issues (build issues not installed equipment). I spent more on this RV than the others (by a margin) so my expectations were obviously too high.
I am not sure what "FS roads are" but we never left the highway other than to pull into an RV site.
I guess the Minnie Winnie should come with a full repair kit.
smifff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I was speaking of Forest Service (FS) roads; usually gravel or dirt, and not always well graded. But you gotta use these to get to BLM boondocking. That makes for a lot of shaking and quaking, putting lots of stress on the camper. I won’t argue that Winnebago is responsible, but I would argue that during the Covid induced supply chain problems, a lot of products were delayed or shipped when they shouldn’t have been. If you wanna hear some horror stories that you wouldn’t expect, take a read of the Airstream owners forum on IRV2.com. Appears your MM was manufactured during that period. Anyway, great to have you aboard. Please put some info on your User ID signature if you’re going to be active. Would love to hear from you.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Troubles...

Hello.....

Our 2020 2108FBS has basically been either in our driveway with an inop slide or at the service center since last October!! We have only gotten a total of 9 days of camping (last year over 4 months) and the slide failed every time!! For over a year and a half with have been having slide troubles with it not working and having to use 'emergency' procedures to get it in. So far it was taken to the service center in Cincy twice and it worked a total of 3 times after they said it 'worked'.
Winnebago finally sent a Lippart tech twice to work on the slide and he found the second time that his stuff worked, and he was not authorized to 'fixed' the rest of the problem. After another 3 weeks, Winnebago found a service center in Indy to fix the trailer. They called yesterday and said they found a bunch of wires were 'pinched' against the frame shorting out the other components. So, after 3 controllers, 2 switches and now wires, plus the slide frame almost coming off the trailer, and over 400 miles to get it to the dealers, we are now waiting for Winnebago Service to pay the service center so they will release us our trailer back.

We may get to go camping sometime this year....maybe.....
Wooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Wooly that is a really disheartening experience with your Winnebago. I hope you finally get to use it as intended. In 2018 we traded in a 2101DS on a new 2250DS. The only warranty work we had was a rain water leak was fixed, the television replaced, plates welded on the frame when cracks developed next to the Huck bolts, and the spare tire and mount replaced due to faulty welds on the mount (all disappeared during a trip). The slide has been glassy smooth. Lippert does know how to build a good slide but probably went cheapo to save a few bucks. Best of luck.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer, 2011 Itasca Rey. 2020 Thor ACE and just now switched to a travel trailer )2022 East to West Alta 2600KRB.

I have to say that of the three motorhomes the ACE was by far the best one (despite Thor's reputation). I haven't used the Alta enough to make an assessment. With that said, they all needed constant adjustments and/or small repairs. I also go over everything initially with a fine-tooth comb and fix all the little things the manufacturer and dealer misses.
Bottomline is that if you buy a new RV, no matter which brand, you are the Q&C department. I am very handy and have the tools and knowledge to just about everything so, it really doesn't bother me that much.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for your troubles. My experience with our 2021 2100BH has been much different. The only issues we’ve had are that some of the trim is coming loose and my usb charging ports did not work as well as the wireless charger. I changed out the ports with a better quality replacement , replaced the wireless charger fuse and tacked the trim back up. I did break the city water valve when dewinterizing, but that was my fault. I just capped it off since we don’t use it. The high ground clearance and tires allow to go place we would not otherwise be able to go. I hope you get your issues resolved so you can begin to enjoy your camping adventures.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Picked up Camper...

Hello........

A quick update: We just picked up the camper from the service center and brought it home. The slide went out fine and seemed 'stronger' and more stable than before. Still haven't tried to bring the slide in but will do that tomorrow ('In' is where the slide would stop working!!).

The big problem was during construction, wires were pinched against the frame shorting out and causing damage to the components and the slide system. So, after a year and a half, we are hoping the major problem is now solved and we won't get stranded at a campsite.

A big Thanks to Erin at Winnebago and the tech team at Braun's RV for all their help. Now to load up and go camping!!!!
Wooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Happy for you Wooly. I would cycle at least a half dozen times before I hit the road leaving 5 minutes between cycles to let the motors cool. Best of luck.

One more thing to do. Watch this video. When you lubricate the Gibbs the slide gets OH So Smooth.

Ken
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Was it the schwintek slide that failed? I traded in a brand new Forest River because that slide failed on my first two camps. Last I heard, the dealer still has that TT and is sending it back to Indiana.
winnielife is offline   Reply With Quote