Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2023, 10:01 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingMedics View Post
I bought a Renogy 200w panel and they now let you bypass the charge controller. I do this, plug into the Solar on the Side port (with the polarity reverser) and it's been working well for me so far.
I do the same (bypass Controller mounted to Panel). I installed a Victron MPPT Controller in the passthrough and wired it to a SOTS port in the wall of the trailer

My 2017 didn't come with a solar port, so I was able to wire it to match the renogy panel +/-.
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 01:18 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingMedics View Post
I bought a Renogy 200w panel and they now let you bypass the charge controller. I do this, plug into the Solar on the Side port (with the polarity reverser) and it's been working well for me so far.
By "they now let you bypass the charge controller", do mean they don't void the warranty when you rewire it yourself, or they changed the charge controller to include a bypass function?

I have the Renogy 200W suitcase, and was planning on bypassing the SCC, rewiring it to series and installing an MPPT SCC in my pass through. Mine's nearing the end of it's warranty anyway, so not really a concern.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:35 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
By "they now let you bypass the charge controller", do mean they don't void the warranty when you rewire it yourself, or they changed the charge controller to include a bypass function?

I have the Renogy 200W suitcase, and was planning on bypassing the SCC, rewiring it to series and installing an MPPT SCC in my pass through. Mine's nearing the end of it's warranty anyway, so not really a concern.
Bypassing Suitcase controller is acceptable. Warranty is still valid as long as the Renogy Controller remains attached to the suitcase.

Rewiring for Series would mean altering the wiring on the suitcase, that will void the warranty for sure.

Unless it can be done via the MC4 Solar Panel Connectors. In my 200 watt suitcase one panel is hardwired to the other panel in parallel so serial wiring is not plug and play.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:13 PM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Ideally, I would re-wire the suitcase panels in series and connect them via an SAE connector in parallel with the rooftop string to an MPPT SCC. The Vmpp of the 2 strings is within 3%, so they are pretty closely matched. I could add a second smaller MPPT charge controller, but that just complicates the system, and the 100/30 is plenty.

For those with the Renogy Eclipse suitcase, they use 2 6V panels in series, and can't be rewired, so an MPPT doesn't offer much improvement.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:27 PM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Ideally, I would re-wire the suitcase panels in series and connect them via an SAE connector in parallel with the rooftop string to an MPPT SCC. The Vmpp of the 2 strings is within 3%, so they are pretty closely matched. I could add a second smaller MPPT charge controller, but that just complicates the system, and the 100/30 is plenty.

For those with the Renogy Eclipse suitcase, they use 2 6V panels in series, and can't be rewired, so an MPPT doesn't offer much improvement.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when a panels +/- is connected to the other panel +/- and then the +/- goes from that last panel goes to the controller, is this not parallel wiring.

Panels wired in Series benefit the most from MPPT Controllers

If these panels are 6v panels I can understand the series wiring to get 12 volts. It that is the case it must be done under the waterproof connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renogy Suitcase.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	185860  
Old 05-03-2023, 05:52 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when a panels +/- is connected to the other panel +/- and then the +/- goes from that last panel goes to the controller, is this not parallel wiring.

Panels wired in Series benefit the most from MPPT Controllers

If these panels are 6v panels I can understand the series wiring to get 12 volts. It that is the case it must be done under the waterproof connectors.
That's correct. Mine is like the one pictured. Opening the left side junction/diode box, the wire pairs are paralleled.

Here's a link to another forum where a user posts about his 200W Renogy Eclipse Suitcase with series wired 6V panels:

Renogy RipOff - please tell me otherwise - R-pod Owners Forum - Page 1

tldr: He wanted to do the same thing I am considering, but found out he had 6V panels. Not at all a "ripoff", but not what he expected. I can understand his frustration.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:07 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
That's correct. Mine is like the one pictured. Opening the left side junction/diode box, the wire pairs are paralleled.

Here's a link to another forum where a user posts about his 200W Renogy Eclipse Suitcase with series wired 6V panels:

Renogy RipOff - please tell me otherwise - R-pod Owners Forum - Page 1

tldr: He wanted to do the same thing I am considering, but found out he had 6V panels. Not at all a "ripoff", but not what he expected. I can understand his frustration.
Now I'm confused; if the wires in the junction block are wired in Parallel, which mine are too. Would they not be two 12v panels?

Looking online, if you purchase the Renogy 100w Suitcase without controller, the two panels are not connected together and left to the purchaser to wire as needed. I can't confirm this is what you will get from Renogy. So when it comes to the 200w panel I would ask Renogy, what can one expect.

You could buy two 100w Eclipse panels and make your own suitcase.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:08 PM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Now I'm confused
Sorry, my fault for adding a somewhat off-topic comment about SOME Renogy suitcases. Mine are 12V panels wired parallel, and it looks like yours are too. These certainly can be changed to series by the user. Renogy does make some suitcases, like the one I linked in the R-pod owners forum, that use 2 6V panels wired in series.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:21 PM   #49
Winnie-Wise

To change ours to a series panel would require unsoldering the wires from the circuit board on the downstream panel and rewiring with individual MC4 connectors.

This would surely void the warranty. If Renogy would supply a 200watt suitcase with Individual MC4 connectors on each panel, the user could do as he pleases.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:56 PM   #50
Winnie-Wise

I've had mine for almost 3 years, so warranty is much of a consideration at this point.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:33 PM   #51
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I've had mine for almost 3 years, so warranty is much of a consideration at this point.
If you do change yours over to serial wired, please post pictures and description
of the changes
Old 05-04-2023, 07:55 AM   #52
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Now I'm confused; if the wires in the junction block are wired in Parallel, which mine are too. Would they not be two 12v panels?

Looking online, if you purchase the Renogy 100w Suitcase without controller, the two panels are not connected together and left to the purchaser to wire as needed. I can't confirm this is what you will get from Renogy. So when it comes to the 200w panel I would ask Renogy, what can one expect.

You could buy two 100w Eclipse panels and make your own suitcase.
I reached out to Renogy for clarification. Their 200 watt Eclipse Suitcases (with or without controller) are two 100 watt 12 volt panels wired in Parallel.

Hope that clears this up.