Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2022, 05:59 AM   #21
2108FBS Flex owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingMedics View Post
Just for clarification... so we *can* plug in a Goal Zero suitcase kit or one of the Go Power GP-PSK-200 suitcase panel kits into the port on the front of the FLX and it'll utilize the FLX's controller? Just trying to make sure I'm looking at the right product. It seems to indicate that we can just buy one of their solar panels and plug it right in and it'll go through the existing controller, but the GP-PSK-200 has a controller on it as well. Sort of confusing.

Thinking of ways to increase the solar capacity safely.

Also, did you figure out the water pump/water hammer issue? Thanks!
Hi, When I called Go Power they told me to be sure to get solar panels that do not have their own solar controller.

I have not messed with the water pump as the last 3 times out we have stayed at campgrounds and have hooked up to city water. That and the panel that covers the pump does not want to easily come out. I seen a YouTube video that shows where to trim the wood panel for easier access. You definitely do not want to be fumbling with a stubborn panel if you have a leak in that area.
The.Savages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

A bit later, and I'm still experimenting with the Solar on the Side plug as well. If I plug a multimeter into it, I get about 36v which is exactly what the controller inside says for "Solar Voltage."

I got a GP-PSK-130 (the suitcase one) and it has its own controller.

https://gpelectric.com/products/130-...ble-solar-kit/

Seems like they all do. As soon as I plug it in, it goes into its over-voltage mode. GoPower's documentation says that the S.O.T.S port is wired directly to the battery, and does need a charge controller. Joe's Travels did a video and seems to confirm this.

It's confusing. Do your Goal Zero ones "Just Work?"

My goal is simply to be able to plug in a separate movable panel to the solar on the side port on the FLX (and some of these questions seem 100% related to the FLX, not other models) to take advantage of morning or evening sunlight.

If anyone has a model number of a portable solar panel kit that they bought, plugs in and just works, I'll order one right now.

water pump: Ours is a bit noisy as well, but no water hammer. Some reviews I've read of other units says this is relatively normal. it works great and we get hot water within a few seconds.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #23
Site Team

If the port on the side of the TT read ~12.7v then it is directly connected to the battery. If it reads 35v then it is attached to the solar charge controller - not directly to the battery.

So, you MUST use a portable solar panel without a built in charge controller.

If you can't return the portable panel you probably can remove the charge controller and rewire it to run full voltage to the solar charge controller.

And, they don't all come with a controller built in. Perhaps the brand you purchased all come that way. But with other brands you get to choose. I've found if you look for the kinds that work with "solar generators" that those do not have controllers built in, because the solar generators all have their own controllers.

Here's one of those, but there are others:

https://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Fol...dp/B08DKTZY7G/

Remember, GoPower sells to everyone. They are not so tied into Winnebago's products that they know what setup you have on your TT.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #24
Site Team

One other option is to rewire your TT. Remove the wires at the controller that run from the outside port and run them instead to your batteries. But I think rewiring the panel to bypass the panel's controller is the best option short of replacing it. Especially because of the uniqueness of your battery system in the FLX.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:15 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If the port on the side of the TT read ~12.7v then it is directly connected to the battery. If it reads 35v then it is attached to the solar charge controller - not directly to the battery.

So, you MUST use a portable solar panel without a built in charge controller.

If you can't return the portable panel you probably can remove the charge controller and rewire it to run full voltage to the solar charge controller.

And, they don't all come with a controller built in. Perhaps the brand you purchased all come that way. But with other brands you get to choose. I've found if you look for the kinds that work with "solar generators" that those do not have controllers built in, because the solar generators all have their own controllers.

Here's one of those, but there are others:

https://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Fol...dp/B08DKTZY7G/

Remember, GoPower sells to everyone. They are not so tied into Winnebago's products that they know what setup you have on your TT.
Thanks for the info. I just checked it again now that the sun is right overhead and it is indeed 35v.

you are also correct - I looked for ones for solar generators and found a whole lot more that I had not seen before. Some panels from Renogy for example might work, and I read that their recent ones have a controller bypass as well with no extra wiring required. That would let me use it for other batteries if needed.

Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2023, 06:22 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone found a portable solar panel that they would recommend? Can you get various sizes or should it match the size of one of the panels on the roof? Thanks for all the information in this thread. Jim
RVJimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

RVJimD,
How do you plan to connect the portable panel?
You can’t connect it to the same charge controller as the one that is servicing the roof panels, unless you get a combiner box. IMO, it’s best for the portable to have its own dedicated charge controller. Best would be a small mppt controller (75/15) located inside the coach near battery through a sidewall SAE port. Of course if your FLX already has a sidewall port with Winnebago’s solar on the side, the sidewall port is already connected to the controller.

If the port is connected to the same controller as the roof panels, then you need a portable panel that is very close to the same electrical characteristics as the roof panels. If you need a new separate charge controller, then you have total flexibility on the choice of portable panel. We’ve gotten good service from this panel for two years. It’s very light, folds in half and fits in one of the forward closets. It’s characteristics are close to, but not an exact match for standard 100w roof panels.

https://www.lensunsolar.com/Products...product_id=479
Old 03-19-2023, 08:39 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Jim, Thanks for the reply.

We do not yet have the trailer but it is a 2023 2108fbs flx. So, I think it will have the pre-wired socket on the side, which as I understand is wired into the go power charge controller that also manages the two roof panels.

I would like to get something that will plug directly into the side port.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #29
2108FBS Flex owner

Portable solar panels for FLX

Hi,

We bought a Goal Zero brief case solar panel (the large one). It is a bit on the heavy side but fits perfectly under the front bed (if you have a FBS FLX). Works great plugged into the side solar port on the FLX.
The.Savages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:24 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the Info
Old 03-19-2023, 12:34 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Earlier in this thread some one mentioned serial vs parallel wire panels.

Not sure how the Factory FLX roof mounted panels are wired (parallel or serial) together.

Not sure how the two Go Power panels in the Briefcase are wired together either.

As mentioned most wall ports are wired directly to the battery, typically assuming a portable solar panel (c/w controller) will plug into it. If the wall port goes to the FLX controller then the portable panel MUST be wires as per the FLX panels and the controller removed from breifcase/suitcase as the FLX controller will regulate panels.

You CANNOT plug multiple sets of independent panels into one controller. All panels must be wired together first (in series or in parallel) then the two remaining wires +/- get plugged into the controller +/- Panel terminal.

My Renogy Eclipse suitcase came parallel wired (two wire junction box one side/one wire junction box other side). It cannot be changed to serial without major modification.

Parallel wiring is most common and I'm guessing this is how the roof panels are wired.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Serial vs Parallel drawing attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar-panel-wiring.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	185425  
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:02 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Good points! I don't know for sure and maybe someone who does know can verify, but I thought the flx solar port wiring goes to the solar controller?
Old 03-19-2023, 02:17 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJimD View Post
Good points! I don't know for sure and maybe someone who does know can verify, but I thought the flx solar port wiring goes to the solar controller?
With the FLX, if the roof panels are wired in Parallel and the solar port is wired to the controller it would be as simple as buying a panel or parallel wired panels (without controller) to add extra solar capacity.

If this is the case somewhere it will say to use parallel wired solar panels (no controller attached to solar array).

There are so many variables, Go solar could assume everyone would just go out and buy another Go Solar Panel (without controller) and just plug it in. Case is, most probably buy third party.

Renogy, like others offer their portable suitcase/breifcase with and without a controller. How it is purchased depends on the situation.

As mentioned many times here, it is important to make sure the SAE plug is wired -/+ to your setup. This cannot be stressed enough.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Zamp ports are wired backwards compared to SAE ports. No problem though. When you buy your MC4 to SAE connector harness, buy one that comes with a polarity reverser. Test your port with a multimeter before. If it’s reversed, plug in the polarity reverser before plugging in the adapter harness.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #36
Winnie-Wise

I like my 200 watt folding renogy solar suitcase. It comes in a nice carrying case to move around.

Mine came with a controller attached which I bypass as I have a Victron MPPT controller in the passthrough that connects to the Zamp SOTS plug similar to the FLX.

I'm unsure if the complete suitcase kit including carry case and wires is available from renogy without controller option.

You can buy the folding eclipse panel without the case and wires, then buy the accessories as needed.

Eclipse is Renogys top end panel.
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

so could we connect a suitcase style solar set up like this to the solar plug on the side of our new 2108ds (non-flx) and use it in addtion to the one mounted on the roof from the factory without adding anything extra?
anewrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:10 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewrver View Post
so could we connect a suitcase style solar set up like this to the solar plug on the side of our new 2108ds (non-flx) and use it in addtion to the one mounted on the roof from the factory without adding anything extra?
Yes,
If your sidewall port is wired into the charge controller, use a portable panel with NO onboard charge controller. If your sidewall port is wired directly to the battery without a charge controller in-between, the, you will need to either install a charge controller, or get a portable panel with an on-board charge controller.
Just look inside and see what you’ve got.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:14 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewrver View Post
Yes,

First thing you need to figure out; does the solar plug on the side of the trailer go to the battery directly or does it plug into the controller that is attached to the roof panels.

If the solar plug on the side connects to the controller that is attached to the roof panel the additional panel must not have a controller.

If the solar plug on the side connects directly to the battery the additional panel must have its own controller.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:31 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
I like my 200 watt folding renogy solar suitcase. It comes in a nice carrying case to move around.

I'm unsure if the complete suitcase kit including carry case and wires is available from renogy without controller option.

I bought a Renogy 200w panel and they now let you bypass the charge controller. I do this, plug into the Solar on the Side port (with the polarity reverser) and it's been working well for me so far.