Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I think there's a difference between ordering an extreme weather pkg. that costs extra, & getting the extreme weather insulation & heated water tank that is included & comes with some of the 2019 MM. Check that out.
CantTakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I've a '19 1808 with the extreme weather package and it worked well during a week at Mammoth Mountain. 30s-40s during most days, 20s at night.

I ran an electric heater to 60F during the day and the furnace to 74F at night so the tanks would get some heat. Worked well.

It has single pane windows but pulling the shades down blocked cold drafts to my surprise. Good enough!

skisurfbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #23
PJJ
Winnebago Watcher

Well, I have 2019 2100BH without the Bear sticker. However, I do have additional insulation, enclosed and heated tanks. This is also officially confirmed at the Winnebago web page that the above are included in the standard package. So I start believing that the Extreme weather is also for hot states and gives more efficient i.e. 15k BTU AC and dual pane windows in addition to standard heated and enclosed tanks and insulation.
Just wondering why almost everybody thinks that the extreme weather package equals arctic package while it is extreme that may also mean extreme heat?
PJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Our 2019 Minnie 2250DS has the polar bear sticker and we're currently boon docking. Temps last night got into the low 30's and the furnace has no trouble keeping the temps in the upper 60's inside.

However, it is my belief that the only thing the polar bear sticker actually means is that the bottom of the trailer is sealed. The sticker actually reads (I just walked over and checked), "Heated and enclosed tanks". Put simply, I think Winnebago used a thicker plastic to enclose the underside, sealed up the edges with black foam, and then the furnace ductwork runs through there to supply the heat.

I have no reason to believe there is any "tank heater". Also, I have physically inspected the fresh water tank and know there is no insulation around it. My guess is that if you are in truly cold conditions and use some sort of space heater that doesn't drive warm air through the under-floor duct work, your tanks/lines could freeze.

As others have mentioned, we too have single pane windows and the chill passes right through them. I'm giving serious consideration to trying one of those clear plastic window insulation kits from Home Depot before our next cool-weather trip.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Without heat pads traveling through colder temps. could freeze tanks. Without them on a cold night if using a space heater to stay warm inside could cause real problems without the furnace running. Then if you do...........like you should there goes the LP
Can't win..........normal

Heat pads would be something that would have to be added......there goes more money to stay warm and functional with a cute polar bear sticker
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJJ View Post
Well, I have 2019 2100BH without the Bear sticker. However, I do have additional insulation, enclosed and heated tanks. This is also officially confirmed at the Winnebago web page that the above are included in the standard package. So I start believing that the Extreme weather is also for hot states and gives more efficient i.e. 15k BTU AC and dual pane windows in addition to standard heated and enclosed tanks and insulation.
Just wondering why almost everybody thinks that the extreme weather package equals arctic package while it is extreme that may also mean extreme heat?
So, the Extreme Package (that you would order from a factory custom-order build),gives you dual-pane windows? That would be a reason for me, to consider it...but then again, the guy on the other shoulder...whispering, how can the seals on an RV/TT dual pane window maintain integrity, if a brick and mortar sitting on a foundation...eventually loses theirs... hmmm......
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
So, the Extreme Package (that you would order from a factory custom-order build),gives you dual-pane windows? That would be a reason for me, to consider it...but then again, the guy on the other shoulder...whispering, how can the seals on an RV/TT dual pane window maintain integrity, if a brick and mortar sitting on a foundation...eventually loses theirs... hmmm......
My '02 Winnie has dual pane windows. They are all in excellent condition. There's only a 1/8" gap between panes, the spacer is aluminum, they look extremely well made. Fit and finish is perfect.

Here's the thing I do that may give an RV's dual pane windows a fighting chance at a long service life...I consciously try to avoid racking the RV. Twisting the frame of the RV entering or leaving a parking lot, over a RV parks speed bumps, or traveling on an unimproved road is totally OUT unless I'm going very very slowly. I've routed myself around such hazards specifically to avoid racking the frame since I bought this RV, did the same to my last Class A with dual pane.

If you can do that, they should last a lifetime. BTW, if you own or love to visit a favorite camping spot where the access road is a nightmare, find a new favorite camping spot or improve the road.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
My '02 Winnie has dual pane windows. They are all in excellent condition. There's only a 1/8" gap between panes, the spacer is aluminum, they look extremely well made. Fit and finish is perfect.

Here's the thing I do that may give an RV's dual pane windows a fighting chance at a long service life...I consciously try to avoid racking the RV. Twisting the frame of the RV entering or leaving a parking lot, over a RV parks speed bumps, or traveling on an unimproved road is totally OUT unless I'm going very very slowly. I've routed myself around such hazards specifically to avoid racking the frame since I bought this RV, did the same to my last Class A with dual pane.

If you can do that, they should last a lifetime. BTW, if you own or love to visit a favorite camping spot where the access road is a nightmare, find a new favorite camping spot or improve the road.
Great post...and well taken! Thank you. Will certainly then consider dual-pane, if I decide to order from the factory. Camping season is short enough in Ontario, Canada...so, not having dripping windows for earl Spring and late Fall, is certainly something I would love to see not happen any more. One question...if you have done cold weather 45 F and below, (nights and early morning's) have you ever had condensation form on any of your dual panes?
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Yes, up in Fairbanks, Alaska before I moved into a cabin for the winter. But it was minor, and mostly due to the propane heater I was using at the time. One of those Lil' Buddy type heaters. Other than that, even when traveling through Canada there in the fall and back in the spring, never had any condensate to speak of. Even in wet weather. Now on the front windows? Yeah, lots in the mornings. But it was gone pretty quickly as the house warmed up.

I should mention my first RV with dual pane was a Bounder, my current is a Winnie. I much appreciate the quiet and relative comfort the dual pane windows afford. I specifically looked for them when I bought the Winnie.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #30
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

Comfort Tech & Explorer Package

Does anyone with a Micro Minnie have the "Comfort Tech Package" and/or the "Explorer Package"? I have seen with these 2 package stickers and some with the "Off Road" "Extreme Weather" "Heated Tanks" Package" stickers but not both, I would like to know more about Explorer and Comfort Tech options.
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

I believe it is a Micro Minnie travel trailer.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote