Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

new 2106DS owner what to buy

Ok we just bought a 2020 2106ds.
What do I need to buy to make it usable?
Generator(s) which ones.
Hoses/cables??
levelers?
it has a hand crank for the stabilizers, would a cordless drill work??

What else?
Thanks
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Only need a generator if you will not be at sites with electric and need more than what battery powers and/or would be out for more than a few days. We've made it our first year just doing state parks that have had electric, though I can imagine a generator in our future. The ~2000W ones seem to be preferred unless you want to run AC, you will need bigger (I think, others on here will know for sure).

Cordless drill will work fine for stabilizers.

There's a million things you can get, but the main ones I think are needed:

1) good sewer hose and fitting, having a clear part somewhere in the sequence is nice to make sure things are done/clear
2) good water hose, at least 50ft
3) RV tank treatment (tablets seem easiest)
4) Recommend an electric surge protector
5) recommend a water filter
6) a level of some type for getting your camper level at the site
7) water pressure regulator if you'll be hooking up to city
8) water bandit is handy if you will be doing forest service sites.. .they seem to like to cut off the threads for water spigots around here at least and this can sometimes allow you to still use them, otherwse...
9) some type of water jug(s), a 5-6 gallon one is nice for adding a bit more water if you are all setup but run low and/or you can fill via hose and #8

You'll want something for under the front jack and stabilizers. It's good to have a tall stack/item for front jack so jack itself doesn't have to go up/down as much. The red trailer block thing from Anderson hitch is nice, though it's pricey vs wood blocks.

Also some type of blocks for one side to raise for leveling, the more the better depending on where you will be camping.

We ended up getting a small camp stove as we just prefer cooking outside as long as weather is nice, feels more like camping vs cooking inside. Recommend Camp Chef ones at REI.

Another nice to have is a 30 amp extension cord if you might be in sites with weird placement of the outlets, we've run into a few of those as our state parks here have some wonky ones like this, particular older ones.

Generally if you just go to amazon and start adding things.. the "what others buy with this" will probably lead you down to everything you could want.. and then some.
COSCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
Ok we just bought a 2020 2106ds.
What do I need to buy to make it usable?
Quote:
Generator(s) which ones.
Your trailer will be quite usable without one unless you plan to do long term boondocking (no hookups)

Quote:
Hoses/cables??
You will need a sewer hose but you should have received a shore power cable with your trailer. A fresh water hose will be necessary.

Quote:
levelers?
Yes and you can get them at Walmart.

Quote:
it has a hand crank for the stabilizers, would a cordless drill work??
The crank will work just fine but a powerful cordless drill will work great.

Quote:
What else?
All of the above will get you out there.

Quote:
Thanks
You're welcome.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Lots of good advice above. A lot depends on how you intend to use the trailer and where you live/camp. Here in SoCal, air conditioning can be a high priority.

Pieces of 2x8 or 2x10 work for leveling and to place under your stabilizer feet and tongue jack. I also have the Andersen Levelers and they are quick and easy.

An 18V drill is great for extending the stabilizers using an 19mm or 3/4" socket.

Generator is mostly needed for air conditioning, microwave, TV and battery charging when you are camping where there is no power. With Summer fading, you shouldn't need AC much for a while. I like the small 2kw inverter generators that can be paralleled into a single 4K when needed. They are light and easy to move, and unless you are running your AC, you only need one. Honda is the best and quietest, but also expensive. I went with Champion at about 1/2 the price of Honda.

Increasing the size of your battery bank can help you last longer without needing a generator. I went with 2 6V golf cart batteries. Solar can also reduce reliance on a generator. My trailer came with a "multi purpose marine battery" that wasn't really suitable for dry camping.

In addition to a fresh water hose (or two), you want a separate 25' garden hose for the dump station. Many dump stations provide one but some don't.

If you live/camp in a sunny climate without a lot of shade, you might want to bring some shade. Don't count on the awning providing shade where and when you want it.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

camping in unimproved camp grounds will happen regularly with us. Places like national forest camp grounds.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSCamper View Post
Only need a generator if you will not be at sites with electric and need more than what battery powers and/or would be out for more than a few days. We've made it our first year just doing state parks that have had electric, though I can imagine a generator in our future. The ~2000W ones seem to be preferred unless you want to run AC, you will need bigger (I think, others on here will know for sure).

Cordless drill will work fine for stabilizers.

There's a million things you can get, but the main ones I think are needed:

1) good sewer hose and fitting, having a clear part somewhere in the sequence is nice to make sure things are done/clear
suggestion for this clear section??
2) good water hose, at least 50ft
3) RV tank treatment (tablets seem easiest)
what is this for??
4) Recommend an electric surge protector
hooked between campsite power and camper or??
5) recommend a water filter
suggestion for this?
6) a level of some type for getting your camper level at the site
7) water pressure regulator if you'll be hooking up to city
why??
8) water bandit is handy if you will be doing forest service sites.. .they seem to like to cut off the threads for water spigots around here at least and this can sometimes allow you to still use them, otherwse...
9) some type of water jug(s), a 5-6 gallon one is nice for adding a bit more water if you are all setup but run low and/or you can fill via hose and #8

You'll want something for under the front jack and stabilizers. It's good to have a tall stack/item for front jack so jack itself doesn't have to go up/down as much. The red trailer block thing from Anderson hitch is nice, though it's pricey vs wood blocks.

Also some type of blocks for one side to raise for leveling, the more the better depending on where you will be camping.

We ended up getting a small camp stove as we just prefer cooking outside as long as weather is nice, feels more like camping vs cooking inside. Recommend Camp Chef ones at REI.

Another nice to have is a 30 amp extension cord if you might be in sites with weird placement of the outlets, we've run into a few of those as our state parks here have some wonky ones like this, particular older ones.

Generally if you just go to amazon and start adding things.. the "what others buy with this" will probably lead you down to everything you could want.. and then some.

see inserted questions above.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
see inserted questions above.
1)- Just the elbow should be clear, like on the RhinoFlex, and some other sewer hoses.

3)- The "bio" packs or tablets are enzymes that liquefy and break down the solid waste and TP. They also reduce the crappy odor associated with RV toilets.

4) Yes, though you can also install a hardwired surge protector.

5) These work for me.

7) The trailer plumbing is rated for max 40-60 psi. Hooking up to your house or campsite "city water" could be 100 psi or more, or see very high spikes. This could cause your "pex" plastic plumbing to fail and cause extensive water damage. Here's an inexpensive regulator.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

thanks for all the great info folks.
Chime in with anything you can think of.
What do you do if you fill your black water tank or your grey water tank and are not ready to move yet? Do you have to pull to the dump sight or is there another way?
Old 10-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
What do you do if you fill your black water tank or your grey water tank and are not ready to move yet? Do you have to pull to the dump sight or is there another way?
There are extra tanks you can bring with you if you have the space.

Camco Rhino Heavy Duty 21 Gallon Portable Waste Holding RV Tote Tank

If the dumpsite was a reasonable distance, I would drive there to dump rather than deal with the extra tank.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have not found a dump site within 20 miles of this place.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Lots of good advice . My only suggestion would be to get two 25’ hoses. Many places 25’ is more than enough. You can always screw the two together. Much easier to handle.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

"Another nice to have is a 30 amp extension cord if you might be in sites with weird placement of the outlets, we've run into a few of those as our state parks here have some wonky ones like this, particular older ones."

How long would be sufficient?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #13
blubugger

The suggestion for solar is indeed a good one especially boondocking. The Zamp panels [140watts] are on the high end. However, we have had very good luck with a very less cost Coleman 100watt panel purchased thru Costco. These are also available thru Home Depot.
Happy Trailering!
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
"Another nice to have is a 30 amp extension cord if you might be in sites with weird placement of the outlets, we've run into a few of those as our state parks here have some wonky ones like this, particular older ones."

How long would be sufficient?
If you have a specific suggestion for this I would be grateful.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Have a peek at your local home center's website and search for Camco, a very popular brand for "RV stuff." You'll find lots of gadgets you didn't know you needed. Once you know what they've got, you can wander over and have a look. They don't have everything, but plenty to get you started.

Here's that power cord from Home Depot, for example. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-25...5191/205518973
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote