Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Must have tools

I just purchased a 2019 2108DS, and she is covered and taking a long winter’s nap.
What tools should I have in my RV tool kit to cary with me for ‘ just in case’ ?

Thanks
Jhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

basically just one of the Home tool sets advertised by home depot, lowes, Harbor freight etc. Unless you are talking about automotive tools for breakdowns, then that is a different story. I bought and kept in the truck now rv the small garden sized outdoor tools shovel, axe, small rake and a small saw. In addition in the truck I keep a hatchet, folding saw and a shovel since the vehicle is used independent of anything else, Since we bought the rv all the outdoors tools were transferred to it. There are small kits at wally world which have a hatchet, a machette, knife and other stuff less than $25. Again all this stuff is for worst case use. A good set of channel lock pliers is also a must since I dont think they come with the tool kits.

Just some ideas.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Some additional ideas:
Spare 12 VDC Fuses
12 VDC Test Light
Electrical Tape
Lightweight rope or heavy duty string
Equipment to change the spare tire plus road flares
Merry Christmas; Eagle5
Old 12-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

All good suggestions.

I always carry a Catastrophic Failure Kit consisting of a Bic lighter and a cell phone. The lighter to set it on fire and the phone to call the insurance company and report it stolen.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Don't forget the Duct Tape. Wonderful invention.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
All good suggestions.

I always carry a Catastrophic Failure Kit consisting of a Bic lighter and a cell phone. The lighter to set it on fire and the phone to call the insurance company and report it stolen.
LMAO!!
Old 12-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I carry: a small socket set, screw drivers, adjustable wrenches, Allen wrenches, multimeter, knife, hammer, pliers, cordless drill and bits, duct tape, electrical tape, Teflon tape, assortment of screws, nuts and washers, tire gage, portable air compressor, several flashlights (and batteries) safety vest, a tube of caulk, various spray lubes, and other assorted junk that I collect from repairs that I have done.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

This is one which I bought, not because it is a great set of tools but because it does let me carry a very wide range of tools which do work well enough for the times when I don't think I will need those weird little items like small allen keys. I would never have had all the little items along but since I DO, I find they are very handy at the reasonably low cost invested.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-pc-63248.html
The trick is that I will never know in advance which small item I will need and these live in a place which is small and out of the way, just waiting for that day when I might want to do something weird like tighten a door knob or other things that I will do while the wife is prepping dinner but may forget before I get home?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank857 View Post
basically just one of the Home tool sets advertised by home depot, lowes, Harbor freight etc. Unless you are talking about automotive tools for breakdowns, then that is a different story. I bought and kept in the truck now rv the small garden sized outdoor tools shovel, axe, small rake and a small saw. In addition in the truck I keep a hatchet, folding saw and a shovel since the vehicle is used independent of anything else, Since we bought the rv all the outdoors tools were transferred to it. There are small kits at wally world which have a hatchet, a machette, knife and other stuff less than $25. Again all this stuff is for worst case use. A good set of channel lock pliers is also a must since I dont think they come with the tool kits.

Just some ideas.
Yep, tow vehicle tools are what I carry mostly. The various trailers I've owned for ontheroad repairs I used needlenose, wirecrimper, socket set, open end wrenches, offset screwdriver, 12v fuses. Those tools were for a full dual battery replacement on the Trailmanor in the boonies. That's the only time I had to dive deep into the toolbag for a trailer.

I do like to carry a full complement of tools just in case, maybe 80lbs of tools, worth carrying IMO.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Top of my list is an adjustable wrench so I can disconnect the battery terminals in the event of an electrical fire, followed by Bars Stop Leak for the radiator should some yahoo with off road tires toss up a rock that goes through the radiator. Road flares are good item to carry should you find yourself stopped alongside the highway.

The rest depends on your experience and knowledge of RV and automotive systems. No point in having a multimeter if you do not know how to use it.

I used to carry duct tape for auto emergencies but after badly cutting my hand on a defective coffee pot at a hotel and trying to get the staff to provide me with anything I found myself using the duct tape from their maintenance person to wrap my hand and stop the bleeding.

Something I have found to be handy is a crow bar. Twice I have pried the fenders on cars in accidents so that they could be moved off the highway and out of harm's way. Along those lines a good Class A, B, C fire extinguisher is something I keep in my cars and RV.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Could do like most of my family and just carry my phone number. I always get called when there's trouble.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Could do like most of my family and just carry my phone number. I always get called when there's trouble.
What's your number?
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I found out the hard way that we needed to buy and carry a set of 2 crescent wrenches large enough to fit the bolt head and nut on the hitch ball mount. When we took delivery Of our 2108ds, the dealer installed the ball mount at the top of the hitch rack. We left, and the first night removed all the heavy stuff from the truck bed that we wanted in the trailer, then we had a dickens of a time raising the tongue off the ball. And, the trailer was no longer level with the truck.
I know the hitch bolts are supposed to be torqued, but just applying Kentucky windage pressure to the crescent wrenches, I think is safe. Never know when, we might have to adjust hitch height again, so the wrenches were a comforting purchase.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Ditto! I'd like the number also.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Love your EGA icon Wayne.
It is whatever it says in the field manual. Lol
Old 01-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #16
2019 1706fb

I carry so many tools that I never use, but the odd times you need them it's nice to have a huge selection. I'll maybe use an offset screwdriver or a stubby once in ten years, but turns out that is necessary once every ten years. 80 lbs of tools is ok with me, they transfer easily from garage to trailer or tow vehicle.

Tow strap, multimeter, fuses, I go overkill. And a Good Sam account.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofBert View Post
I carry so many tools that I never use, but the odd times you need them it's nice to have a huge selection. I'll maybe use an offset screwdriver or a stubby once in ten years, but turns out that is necessary once every ten years. 80 lbs of tools is ok with me, they transfer easily from garage to trailer or tow vehicle.

Tow strap, multimeter, fuses, I go overkill. And a Good Sam account.
I have a friend who carries enough tools he can fix anything on his GMC Motorhome if needed. One trip out the water-pump failed and we needed all that he brought. Road side delivery from a Napa and a local junk yard got us the parts we needed to be on our way with only a 12 hour delay. I even needed the bastard file to restore the damaged pullies to a serviceable state after the belts melted waterfalls of steel off of them as they jumped off.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote