Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Minnie vs Micro

We went to the RV show yesterday and looked at a Minnie 2200SS. We had been sold on the 2106FBS Micro until we looked inside the 2200SS. The difference in space is amazing, yet the GVWR is the same although dry weight higher, and tongue weight higher. Also the price was very close to the same as the Micros. Our tow vehicle can handle the bigger trailer easily. The only drawback is storage of the trailer itself. The 2106 easily fits in the garage with no modifications whatsoever. The 2200 will require some modification of the overhead door opening which is entirely doable. It will also require a roll up door installed on the outside of the opening for the extra length, also doable. The only other drawback I can think of is the larger trailer will be harder to cool. We live in the desert and one of the benefits of the small 2106 would be cooling it down quicker, although the point of the trailer is to get out of this desert but sometimes that can take a day or two. Really thinking about that Minnie now......so much more roomy for extended trips, not to mention the outdoor kitchen.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am also in Tucson. My View is 24' and has the a 15k AC unit. Make sure you get the optional 15K and not the 13.5k unit. These RV units only cool about 20 degree from outside temps. Do not expect more. But, 90 at night is still down to 70 so good sleeping. The 8' width is much better if you pull with a full size rig. The Micro's 7' width is for the mini trucks that can not pull the wider trailers as easy. Go for the bigger one with the bigger option AC. Enjoy and welcome to the group.
also, the extra 6 feet of awning is a plus in our heat (19' vs 13').
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've noticed you are in Tucson. I wonder if the trailers are insulated better than the B vans. I have heard people say it is really hard to cool down the vans once they have heated up. I do know what you mean though, AC just takes a long, long time to cool off all that mass and I am aware of the temperature differential although I did not think it was only 20 degrees. We left Tucson for Northern NM last summer on a Friday afternoon towing a rented 26 foot Forest River (wanted to see if we would like the trailer thing before buying). We had planned on staying overnight in Wilcox and heading out fresh in the AM for Mora County. What we didn't count on was the fact that the trailer would be a bazillion degrees inside when we reached Wilcox. It was almost unbearable. We opened the dump valve and huddled underneath it for at least an hour. It didn't really get comfortable till a couple hours after sundown. This is why we probably won't leave on any summer trips in the afternoon again, and also why, if there is room, I will install a swamp cooler. It would have kept the trailer cool while on the road, and I love the breeze a cooler affords. 2 AC units is another option but I really don't want a 50 amp rig, and it's tough to use AC with no hookup.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It is hard to say how the rental was equipped. Odds are it was a base unit having a small ac. As a try, have LaMesa plug the Minnie with a 15K unit on top and see how it does in the middle of the afternoon. Start the generator an hour before you plan to camp and give the AC a chance to start cooling.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Was not really planning on carrying a generator.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Highly recommended to camp in the SW in the summer.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My suggestion is it is time to hit a fair and by yourselves a couple of personal misting fans.

Between the Minnie and Micro Minnie with the same A/C unit I would expect the one with the lower internal volume to cool quicker. It should also maintain its temperature better. Will it be noticeable? I don't know.

I can't speak to the FR trailer nor make a comparison as I don't know enough about it. I think an A/C's main advantage is the removal of humidity which you don't have. We were out over the weekend with highs in the low 90's and trailer in full sun. It took a few hours for the trailer temperature to stabilize as everything in the interior cooled down. However it was comfortable within 15 - 20 minutes due to the lowering of the humidity. We also use those roof vent pillows which helps with heat/cold infiltration as well.

One thing that might help is if you can dump all of the extra hot air from the trailer rather than have the A/C try to cool it. At 100 outside the trailer could be 120 - 130 inside. To do this I would look at replacing one of the vents with a Fantastic Fan then opening the windows briefly to flush the inside air. You could then close up the trailer and let the A/C do its thing.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post

One thing that might help is if you can dump all of the extra hot air from the trailer rather than have the A/C try to cool it. At 100 outside the trailer could be 120 - 130 inside. To do this I would look at replacing one of the vents with a Fantastic Fan then opening the windows briefly to flush the inside air. You could then close up the trailer and let the A/C do its thing.

That is one reason I am considering an evaporative cooler, although a Fantastic Fan would be another option.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
Highly recommended to camp in the SW in the summer.
I do have a Honda eu2000i, not sure if that will start a 15K with a soft start kit but I have heard it will start a 13.5 as long as you install a soft start. Not sure how that would work with a truck and trailer though, to run it an hour before arriving at camp. I'd have to run it in the back of the camper shell and plug the trailer in.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #10

The unmentioned issue is where you like to camp. That extra almost five feet of length and 12 inches of width will make some CGs or campsites not available.

bigb, I’m a huge solar fan but a small backup generator can be useful.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #11

Or Death Valley, Tucson. 115F yesterday.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2401RG Minnie. We live in the south and have the 15k A/C. So far, the A/C works great on the trips we've been on.

I'm not sure if the micro's have a ducted system or not, but maybe that might be a difference. Our Minnie has ducted and it is so much quieter and more efficient that a smaller camper we had previously.

BTW if your TV can handle a 2401rg, it's a great layout. We love having a sofa and a private bedroom with a real door.

lindalawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

We live in the southeast and camp year round. The 2200SS is basically the same camper as our 2201DS. We just have a dinette instead of a couch. Get the 15K AC unit and it will cool the camper down in about 15-20 minutes. Ours stays nice and comfortable even in this Georgia heat and humidity. We love the outdoor kitchen and use it way more than the inside kitchen. Keeps all the cooking smells and messes outside.

I installed two Maxaire deluxe fans in ours. One in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. Open the windows, crank up the fans and I can change out all the air in the camper in about 2 minutes.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #14

Two Maxxair (or Fantasic) fans are an essential for us, Bob.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

How did you get power to the bedroom Maxxair? There’s no power close by on my 2401 rg. Bathroom vent has small power fan now.
Jandjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #16

If there is no power source close run a modified light duty household extension cord (brown, black or white) up the wall and across the ceiling. You’ll see it...no one else will.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalawson View Post
We have a 2401RG Minnie. We live in the south and have the 15k A/C. So far, the A/C works great on the trips we've been on.

I'm not sure if the micro's have a ducted system or not, but maybe that might be a difference. Our Minnie has ducted and it is so much quieter and more efficient that a smaller camper we had previously.

BTW if your TV can handle a 2401rg, it's a great layout. We love having a sofa and a private bedroom with a real door.

I don't know if it is across the full line but our 2106FBS and other Micros we looked at had ducted A/C.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #18

2015’s 2101 FBS and DS were ducted.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
I don't know if it is across the full line but our 2106FBS and other Micros we looked at had ducted A/C.
We love everything in our 2401 rg but the leaking shower
Jandjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalawson View Post

That 2401rg is a sweet rig but at 10'6" I don't think it will clear the garage door. I am going to have to get it raised from it's current 10' just to get a 2200 or 2201 but I think I only have 6" available to raise the opening. Here's a shot from when it was being built, plan is to raise the gluelam up to the bottom of the ledger which looks like about 6". Wont know for sure till I pull some wall sheeting off (inside walls are covered with plywood)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage north.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	169727