Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie Drop (fiberglass) roof sealants? Dicor?

I have a 2018 Minnie Drop 1780. So far my roof is still fine but it looks like I may want to re-seal a few spots this year. I have been researching this but haven't been able to find or get a list of sealants from Winnebago towables. The Drop has a fiberglass roof and I have been advised to use Dicor self-leveling (on the roof) or (this is from someone who is involved with sealants and has a fiberglass roof RV)

Sikaflex Self-Leveling Sealant. One concern I have is compatibility with the sealants already in place. I can always strip those out but it's nice to know what really works. Does anyone have any good experience re-sealing a fiberglass Minnie Drop roof?

Thanks in advance!
WolfgangS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi. I have a Minnie Drop, too, I have not had to re-seal my roof yet so i cannot help there but am interested to hear other replies as i will eventually be in the same boat. Last year i did contact Winnebago to ask them what to use, and they sent me a list of what they recommend. i can dig it out for you if you would like but i dont have it here at the moment. I asked them because i needed to re-seal some of the side seams and needed to know what to use. I bought what they recommended and it worked well. it was a different sealant than what they recommended for the roof.
Malemute_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you could share the list of sealants, that would be great. I haven't gotten a reply (after a month) from Winnebago.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Awhile back I sent an email to Dicor asking about their caulk working on fiberglass. I received an answer back stating yes.

In the mean time I went and ask my local RV repair place what they use when dealing with fiberglass to fiberglass. They use Sikaflex 221 so I got a tube of black. I have not used it yet do busy waxing now waiting for some good weather.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have had good luck with Silkaflex in other applications where it is exposed to sun an weather. It seems very durable but haven't used in my trailer or any fiberglass. It's good to know the RV repair place uses it.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Wolfgang, this is the reply i received from Winnebago Towables when i asked what sealants to use on my Drop:

Thank you for contacting Winnebago Towable Customer Service.

In regards to roof sealant, we use a self-leveling Dicor 501 sealant on the roof seams and for the roof components, a non-leveling Dicor 551 sealant for the roof top moldings that run the length of the TPO roof and Geocel 2300 cap sealant around the windows, doors and components on the side, front and rear walls. Our recommendation is for the roof seals and components to be checked semi-annually and re-sealed annually. The doors and windows should be checked every 3 months and resealed if any of the areas have defects in the seal.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malemute_Kid View Post
Wolfgang, this is the reply i received from Winnebago Towables when i asked what sealants to use on my Drop:

In regards to roof sealant, we use a self-leveling Dicor 501 sealant on the roof seams and for the roof components, a non-leveling Dicor 551 sealant for the roof top moldings that run the length of the TPO roof and Geocel 2300 cap sealant around the windows, doors and components on the side, front and rear walls. Our recommendation is for the roof seals and components to be checked semi-annually and re-sealed annually. The doors and windows should be checked every 3 months and resealed if any of the areas have defects in the seal.

Unfortunately, they mention TPO roofs (that is one type of "rubber" roof) rather than fiberglass, which my Minnie Drop has....
Old 05-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

yes, you are right.... My drop has a fiberglass roof too. I didnt catch that reference, as when i asked thee question i was interested in what they use on the side seams...

When i asked them the question, i specifically mentioned that i have a 2018 Minnie Drop....
Old 05-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
yes, you are right.... My drop has a fiberglass roof too. I didnt catch that reference, as when i asked thee question i was interested in what they use on the side seams...

When i asked them the question, i specifically mentioned that i have a 2018 Minnie Drop....
I wonder if Winnebago uses the same sealants with both a TPO and a fiberglass roof. I just wish they would reply to my request for a sealant list for my 2018 Drop 1780.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

that could be... but i think all the Drop models have fiberglass roofs....
Old 05-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Eternabond every joint and seam on the roof . If you do it now, you won't run the risk of missing something. Do it once with Eternabond, and check it every year.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
Nailbender

I have a 2019 spirit with a fibre glass roof and called Winnebago about roof sealant because I am putting in a fantastic fan and they told me not to use Dicor because they use a silicone based sealant so I am going to use Nuflex 311RV self-leveling sealant, it can be very confusing
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Roof Sealants

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Winnebago Towable Customer Service.

Those are exactly what I use. Dicor Self leveling for the flat part, and non Leveling for the side seams/end caps.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #14
Nailbender

so can you apply the 501 Dicor over some silicone because I doubt that I will get all the silicone off?
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
so can you apply the 501 Dicor over some silicone because I doubt that I will get all the silicone off?
I have it on good authority that Dicor doesn't work well over silicone. You have to completely remove the silicone before applying the Dicor.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have a 2019 spirit with a fibre glass roof and called Winnebago about roof sealant because I am putting in a fantastic fan and they told me not to use Dicor because they use a silicone based sealant so I am going to use Nuflex 311RV self-leveling sealant, it can be very confusing

The sealant I see on the Mini Drop roof does not appear to be silicone. Does no one know what Winnebago uses there? I really want to know for sure. So far I have not found anyone that seems to know. It's really frustrating.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #17
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Dicor rood sealants

Quote:
I am not an expert however the folks at Dicor are, and there are great links available if you do a search online.
Here is a link to the Dicor video library.

https://dicorproducts.com/video-library/
Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangS View Post
The sealant I see on the Mini Drop roof does not appear to be silicone. Does no one know what Winnebago uses there? I really want to know for sure. So far I have not found anyone that seems to know. It's really frustrating.
Your RV should have come with a list of sealants they used. I know ours did...
Old 05-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Your RV should have come with a list of sealants they used. I know ours did...

It did not. Do you have a Minnie Drop? (I can download sealant kits for other models on the web site but I can find nothing for the Drop.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #20
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangS View Post
It did not. Do you have a Minnie Drop? (I can download sealant kits for other models on the web site but I can find nothing for the Drop.
I do not, I have an Intent. But did you not get a big sack of manuals from the dealer? And you’ve checked on Winnebago’s web site for manuals?

Here’s a link.
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...tormanuals.php

Tags
roof, seal