Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie Awning ...to dump or not to dump.

2018 Minnie RL
I am learning my way around our new TT (first timer) and I am curious about whether the awning has an "auto rain dump" feature. I do not plan to use the awning during a rain storm or in high wind but just in case we get caught off guard. I did purchase some Camco tie downs in case of wind gust while in camp. Anything else I should add?
Critters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Is there not enough slope to prevent the rain from pooling? I know during our new buyer demonstration we were shown how to also slope the canopy to favour one front corner. We haven't had enough experience to encounter any problems with heavy rain.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I can drop the corner if need be but I was wondering if the auto dump would work too or if it even had one.
My walk-thru was pathetic and many of the things were left out. I had to ask a lot of questions and I came to the conclusion real quick that I knew more about my rig than the service guy. You tube filled in the blanks.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Some have auto wind but not auto dump.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You should have received a manual specific to your model awning along with your Minnie's operator manual. If not, I'd call Winnebago. They'll have the build record for your specific rig.

In any case, dropping a corner would protect against a malfunction.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Auto Dump

If your awning is auto dump, one of the supports will have a piston and the other support will not. You'll find these usually on WeatherPro.
The only problem with the auto dump is the water comes down in a great splash and if you happen to be walking by it or if your car is near it or if your RV door is near it, or you have a table under it... everything gets a great swoosh of water and might make the ground there soggy.

I have tied down the arm with the piston and it pulls down fairly easily... and made my self a rain gutter to catch that water and with a 1" hose run the water away from the RV.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you PolarMike!
Exactly the info I was looking for. I haven't used the awning yet (only made our one trip with 3 more scheduled) due to high winds. I'll take a look inside the awning frame for the piston. I have seen the adjustment knobs on the arms but was curious about the other. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Finally had a chance to roll out the Dometic awning and indeed it has the piston for the "auto dump". Tried it out several times and seemed to work fine. I'll still roll it up during storms and mild wind to be safe. Thank you all for those that responded.

Tags
awning