Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Minnie 2108DS vs 2108TB

Last year we purchased Ruby, our 2018 2108DS. We love her with our only complaint being the bed. It is extremely difficult for me to get in and out of bed due to physical challenges. Yesterday we saw a 2108TB and found the bed setup to be perfect. We talked to the dealer and the cost to trade is prohibitive. My question is, does anyone know if there is a company authorized by Winnebago to make a twin bed modification to our trailer? The two trailers are identical except for the murphy/twin bed difference and some cabinetry. We are willing to travel! Thanks!
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This week I negotiated a trade with my Winnebago dealer. The process was stressful and today I may place a deposit on a 2108TB. I am really worried as to whether the twin beds will justify the financial loss I'm taking on my trade. We find the features and size of the 2108 series to be great for our needs and towing comfort. The murphy bed situation is a great design but for us has proved problematic. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has considered a 2108TB and their opinions of this design. I am still not locked into my purchase agreement and would appreciate any pros and cons that may help!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You will always take a financial beating when trading with a dealer whether it is a car or RV. Your best bet would be to sell your current Minnie on a site such as RVTrader.com where 2018 2108ds units such as yours are going for $20K to $25K.

Good luck.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don't have either of your models, but I can speak to experience with a 1970s vintage Holiday Rambler with dual beds in back - the family loved it. If memory fails me correctly, it could also be set up with a table in between the beds for eating and the table dropped down in between if a larger bed was desired (back cushions filled in). The two floorplans look identical except for the sleeping arrangement, so if you are happy with the DS (except the bed) you should be happy with the TB. You are going to lose the couch - one of the reasons we traded in our old Keystone 19FBPR for the Minnie Winnie 2500FL; we found the dinette uncomfortable to sit in for extended periods of time. You are also losing 50 pound CCC per the standard specs.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
You will always take a financial beating when trading with a dealer whether it is a car or RV. Your best bet would be to sell your current Minnie on a site such as RVTrader.com where 2018 2108ds units such as yours are going for $20K to $25K.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. I agree that a private sale and then an all cash purchase for a new vehicle or RV can have a financial advantage. However the difficulties associated with a private sale and losing the tax advantage of a trade-in makes this strategy not worthwhile. I save $3000 in tax by trading in my current trailer. I tried selling it privately for a month and only received calls from resellers looking for a deal!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I don't have either of your models, but I can speak to experience with a 1970s vintage Holiday Rambler with dual beds in back - the family loved it. If memory fails me correctly, it could also be set up with a table in between the beds for eating and the table dropped down in between if a larger bed was desired (back cushions filled in). The two floorplans look identical except for the sleeping arrangement, so if you are happy with the DS (except the bed) you should be happy with the TB. You are going to lose the couch - one of the reasons we traded in our old Keystone 19FBPR for the Minnie Winnie 2500FL; we found the dinette uncomfortable to sit in for extended periods of time. You are also losing 50 pound CCC per the standard specs.
Thanks for the reply. We debated the loss of a couch but concluded that watching TV or reading in the evening is more commonly done while propped up in bed. When entertaining, it is usually outside. We seriously considered a 2500FL but the additional length and weight would be problematic for my driveway, my truck and cost on the ferry. The 2500 is a very nice trailer!
Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just saw the Video of that one, I wish I had that one, but will keep 2108ds, I bought 2 months ago.
Larry2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2108DS View Post
I just saw the Video of that one, I wish I had that one, but will keep 2108ds, I bought 2 months ago.
Congratulations on your new trailer. The 2108DS is an outstanding big little trailer! It is easy to tow and has the comforts of larger trailers. Yesterday we did agree to purchase a 2108TB and we pick her up next Friday. We only had our 2108DS for 11 months but long enough to know it was the right size, quality and layout for our needs. We decided that the twin bed arrangement would enhance our (my) comfort enough to make it worthwhile to take a financial hit at this time. There was no advantage, financially or physically, to postpone such an expense for another year!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We picked up our 2108TB yesterday. We take it out for our first overnighter tomorrow. My initial impressions can be summed up with the word, "wow"!
Old 03-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
We picked up our 2108TB yesterday. We take it out for our first overnighter tomorrow. My initial impressions can be summed up with the word, "wow"!
As far as layout goes, our new trailer proved to be outstanding. As far as things not functioning properly, this new trailer was not put together as well as our last trailer! I told my salesperson that I'm glad this wasn't my first Winnebago product. It would likely have been my last! The dealer has assured me that they'll make everything right!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Smile

Quote:
This week I negotiated a trade with my Winnebago dealer. The process was stressful and today I may place a deposit on a 2108TB. I am really worried as to whether the twin beds will justify the financial loss I'm taking on my trade. We find the features and size of the 2108 series to be great for our needs and towing comfort. The murphy bed situation is a great design but for us has proved problematic. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has considered a 2108TB and their opinions of this design. I am still not locked into my purchase agreement and would appreciate any pros and cons that may help!
We have a 2108TB and it has worked out well for us. It’s easy to get in and out of bed and not too hard to make it up. We did upgrade the mattresses to a thicker foam and added necessary wedges to simulate our Sleep Number bed at home. The package shelf above the beds got some pool noodle padding and it all works quire well. If you decide to replace your mattresses save the old ones for warranty purposes. We didn’t, as we don’t have space in our small apartment, and bore the full cost.
DustyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you - this thread helped my our decision on the TB over the DS - picking up next weekend!!
Abby L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I am debating between as 2108 TB or Queen ( FBS)
I would like to know, from someone who actually has slept in 2108 TB, in the King bed configuration, if the filler mattresses are tight, or if you have a tendency to fall in the cracks or feel them?
Berty222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Berty222 - the mattresses fit together very well - you almost don't feel the seems and they are tight fitting in the group. There are two what I call regulation mattresses and two 18 inch inserts made of a different very soft fabric - we use them to prop up and watch TV. Honestly they are softer than then mattresses. We kept these but since this post we purchased custom memory foam matresses from TOTCHA and which sleep amazingly well - good luck!!
Old 03-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

thanks Abby! is your memory foam for the whole King bed or do you have 2 double sized memory foams?
Berty222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We tried to get a whole one made, but they didn't go wide enough - we did two mattresses split down the middle (so got rid of the inserts) it's HUGE - a little short 74" but that's pretty standard, so two 41" by 74" mattresses - we gave up the twin option for a great size king you can't find in this size camper - PS the dinette is pretty big too once all set up (as info) - good luck - we are totally happy now that sleep is comfy. Of course that meant custom sheets too, but in the long run it was all well worth it.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
We have a 2020 2108TB. We love it but we are swapping out the mattresses as the ones that come with the trailer are not even close to comfortable. The shelf above the bed is handy but easy to hit your head on - you can't actually sit up in bed because of it but, overall it was a good choice for us. I love being able to walk in between the two beds and having a table.
lele14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lele14 View Post
We have a 2020 2108TB. We love it but we are swapping out the mattresses as the ones that come with the trailer are not even close to comfortable. The shelf above the bed is handy but easy to hit your head on - you can't actually sit up in bed because of it but, overall it was a good choice for us. I love being able to walk in between the two beds and having a table.
Agree with above on mattresses, they need to go. Also that shelf, it is not in a practical position. I have considered taking it out or moving it higher but worried about structure.
Patrickmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I just pulled out the shelf above the beds in our 2108TB so we wouldn’t hit our heads. I used the front trim board to cover the row of staple holes. We leave the bed as a king with a 3” topper. Now there is room for our dog who refuses to sleep on the floor.
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I see a dealer and I run. About 75% of them are a cross of a horse trader and vampire. Out for blood. I think you need to think about weight added to trailer and also floor support. Do it yourself or find a trailer in a private sale. These small ones are so easy to sell too. I know, I just chased mine until October when camping mostly ended.
bostonmary is offline   Reply With Quote