Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Winnie Towables Boondockers

I am sure that there are several Micro Minis Towable owners that prefer to camp in back country without hook-ups. This is reason many purchase self-contained Winnebago's.
We have had Winnebago products since 1985. (8)
We currently have a 2017 Micro Winnie 1706fb that is what we need at our age. Back to the simple way of life. This is a small unit that has everything we need to go boondocking on BLM and National Parks.
For years we camper in what we now call privet parking lots with will hook-ups.
These campgrounds are good when you need to flush tanks and reload. They are just getting out of hand on prices. Some charge as much as motels and that is not camping.
We will stay in Corp of Engineers parks that are lovely and most are only $10.00 night.
Now , what this is all about, let's get some information exchange on boondocking with Micro Minnies.
Mods that you have made to make life a bit more comfortable while out with nature. Keep it clean
Frank
W 69947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I like free camping on state or BLM land. It is all about choices and how long you want to stay. Think about three areas: gas, power and water. With a tow vehicle you have a option of a run to the nearest town for supplies. The frig needs gas and power. AC needs power, lights need power. Maybe power is first priority. Read up on generators and solar. I have both with larger deep cell batteries. Nothing better than the sound of elk in the morning. Enjoy.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have a i3100 Champion generator that I keep in bed of my F150 . We keep two extra 6gal of fresh water in bed of truck also. Do not have solid yet ,but soon. We live South East of Houston on the gulf, so we need to stay prepaired to move out during storm season.
Our little 1706 fb unit works well.
W 69947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm a backpacker from way back so the concept of boondocking appeals to me but the idea of sitting out in the beauty of nature with a generator cranking is not what I had in mind. I live in Florida so if we give it a shot it will need to be far enough north that we can survive with battery and maybe some solar.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #5

Blueridge, wrong solar goal! Not “some solar” but a solar system designed and installed to recharge your batteries fully every sunny day. No noise, no gasoline, no oil changes.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just bought the 1706fbs 3 weeks ago and love it. Ordered a champion duel fuel generator. Getting ready for some boondocking in Colorado. Other ideas would be much appreciated.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sorry 2106 FBS.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #8

Change a tire in your driveway from just what’s in the TT and TV. If you need something from the garage, it stays in the TT. No need to simulate wind, rain, snow, hail, cold or hot. Consider building a wood ramp instead of using a jack. Load Range C tires? Hmmm. Ds are more hardy. Check tire pressure and fill if necessary every morning you drive...every morning you drive. Max pressure as indicated on sidewall.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Why would you use tire psi listed on tires and not what manufacturers listed on side of trailer.
I have been on plant tour ( Michelin ) and were told the psi on tires is max. All auto manufactures list preferred psi on all vehicles.
Who knows the correct answer?
My unit was delivered with an even 32 psi in each of 4 tires. The information on the sticker on drivers side of camper stated 50 psi. The tires list 65 psi.??????
Old 06-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

“How” knows the max tire pressure listed on the sidewall makes the tire capable of carrying the max listed weight. Running a TT tire at less than max pressure lowers the max weight it can carry. Your post is dangerously uninformed, W.

Take a tip from our boating friends https://www.boatingmag.com/properly-...-trailer-tires
Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #11

Etrailer says at https://www.etrailer.com/question-74760.html

“Trailer tires should always be inflated to the maximum psi as indicated on the tire regardless of the load on the trailer. The reason for this is because of how trailer tires are constructed. Trailer tires are made with a thicker sidewall than passenger vehicle tires to handle more vertical load. If they are under inflated, the thicker sidewall will then generate excessive heat and cause the tire to fail. Trailer tire # AM1HP52 for example would need to be inflated to 50 psi. I have included a link to our help article on trailer tires for you.”
Old 06-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Etrailer says at https://www.etrailer.com/question-74760.html

“Trailer tires should always be inflated to the maximum psi as indicated on the tire regardless of the load on the trailer. The reason for this is because of how trailer tires are constructed. Trailer tires are made with a thicker sidewall than passenger vehicle tires to handle more vertical load. If they are under inflated, the thicker sidewall will then generate excessive heat and cause the tire to fail. Trailer tire # AM1HP52 for example would need to be inflated to 50 psi. I have included a link to our help article on trailer tires for you.”
Sorry, I realize this thread is about TTs. May I ask what the policy would be for a class C - what’s on the door or on the sidewall? Thanks.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #13

Not from me, monik. Not qualified for MH tire advice. Someone will answer soon. Meanwhile what does Winnebago say?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

RV's tires are made different than trailers. Most class "C's" run 16" tires. A few with 19.5 and super C's with 22.5's. RV tires do not see the sideways load like tandem and triple axle trailer tires see. These radial's can run below max listed on the side wall of the tire. Winnebago shows a suggested on the door frame. Based upon load it is then up to the operator if the pressure should be raised or lowered. As an example, if I am towing with my View I may use the sidewall max but empty and just driving and not camping I might go below the door frame value for the rears. Front are not change from recommended on the door frame.

Tags
tow