Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2022, 10:27 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Micro-minnie tire upgrade

I need to toss the knock-off tires (Good-ride!) and upgrade the tires (and spare) on my 2019 2108DS and am looking for advice from other owners.

I'm leaning very heavily toward Goodyear Endurance as they seem to be very commonly recommended on the forums. My TT currently has ST205/75R14's. The Goodyear Endurance direct-replacement tires would have a "D" load range with a speed rating of 87mph.

I believe I could take this "opportunity" to spend a pile more money and upgrade to 15" tires. My TT is currently sitting at the lowest (of 3) height setting and can be raised for 15" tires. At least I believe it was offered with 15" tires as an option. I need to look that up. At this size I could move up to an "E" load range, though I don't technically need it.

I'm pretty certain the latest TT's are shipping with light truck tires. The brochures say "off road" tires. I'm not thinking I'll be off-roading much, but any opinion as to whether this is a good idea or not would be good to hear.

My default thinking is to save the money and just replace the junk tires. It isn't clear to me if the wheels are "junk" or not. They look fine to me, but I'm no expert.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I just replaced the ST205/75R14 tires on my 2017 2106FBS

I went with the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Load range D

Picked then up from Discount Tire for $75.00ea

I too looked at the Goodyear Endurance, they had a good rating as well, American made, more money.

The Carlisle's had a good rating too, Chinese made but much cheaper if on sale. I had Discount Tire do a price match to the best price I could find out there.

I looked at the On/Off road option, but very few offerings in 14". I too was not interested in upgrading the rims. Decided to upgrade to the D Range and call it a day.
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I went with Goodyear Endurance on my 2019 2108DS and I don't regret paying more money for them. They've been awesome in snow, sand, dirt roads and on the highway. I did size the wheels up as well. I like that they have a high speed rating which many of the cheaper brands don't.
Amazonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonica View Post
I went with Goodyear Endurance on my 2019 2108DS and I don't regret paying more money for them. They've been awesome in snow, sand, dirt roads and on the highway. I did size the wheels up as well. I like that they have a high speed rating which many of the cheaper brands don't.
Did you have to raise your TT up a notch (or two) to fit the 15" wheels? Or maybe it already was up higher? Mine is at the lowest setting.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I have my trailer in the highest setting (bottom of the 3 holes for height adjustment at the axles). I needed more ground clearance for the boondocking places I go.
ST225/75/R15
Old 04-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Goodyear Wrangler. That’s what they are putting on the Micro Minnie from the factory.

Goodyear Wrangler. That’s what comes on the new Micro Minnie’s from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
I need to toss the knock-off tires (Good-ride!) and upgrade the tires (and spare) on my 2019 2108DS and am looking for advice from other owners.

I'm leaning very heavily toward Goodyear Endurance as they seem to be very commonly recommended on the forums. My TT currently has ST205/75R14's. The Goodyear Endurance direct-replacement tires would have a "D" load range with a speed rating of 87mph.

I believe I could take this "opportunity" to spend a pile more money and upgrade to 15" tires. My TT is currently sitting at the lowest (of 3) height setting and can be raised for 15" tires. At least I believe it was offered with 15" tires as an option. I need to look that up. At this size I could move up to an "E" load range, though I don't technically need it.

I'm pretty certain the latest TT's are shipping with light truck tires. The brochures say "off road" tires. I'm not thinking I'll be off-roading much, but any opinion as to whether this is a good idea or not would be good to hear.

My default thinking is to save the money and just replace the junk tires. It isn't clear to me if the wheels are "junk" or not. They look fine to me, but I'm no expert.
Ljones1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

27,000 miles on a set of GY Endurance on my 2013 2101FBS and still going...
przero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My 2022 Micro Minnie 2225RL came with Goodyear Endurance tires. It was built in late October. Traveling from Maine to Florida right now and very happy with the way they're riding and wearing. Only wish Winnebago had put one on the spare rather than the crappy Chinese Westlake that's on there now.
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

you may have the option of going from LR-D to LR-E in the same size & type tire, but you will only gain in load capacity if you also run higher inflation as it is the air pressure not the tire construction that controls the laod capacity.

LT type tire must pass more strenuous and more demanding DOT testing so all else being equal it seems reasonable to think that LT type are "better".

BUT a switch to LT from ST requires you must go up in size and or in Load Range as equal size ST to LT would result in lower load capacity.
Old 04-14-2022, 03:02 AM   #10

LT tires maxload is given for max speed of 160kmph/99mph, ST for 65mph.
So if LT of same sise in higher loadrange has same maxload, you are doing better.

This because the 99mph max speed of tire, and only driving mayby 75mph gives extra reserve.

In the larger ST sises, mostly 18% ( 6 loadindex steps) higher maxload then same sise and loadrange LT, because of max speed 65mph.

But your small sise mayby even same maxload as LT or fi 2 li steps higher. Then the more demanding DOT testing of LT makes it a safer tire, wich can last up to 10 years of use ( here in Europe), with some care.
That is:
1. Keeping high enaugh tirepressure with max reserve. I can help you with calculating that.
Dont use the ST lists for that, even if you first add reserves yourselfes.
They are made with a formula introduced in 1928 for diagonal tires, that leads to higher loadcapacity's then the now used official formula.

2. Cover ( when not driving ) for sunlight .

3. Not storing in closed spaces at wich electricall instruments are working, that produce peroxides like Ozon.

4 after 5 years of use , let the tires be inspected every year by a profesional, especially on aging-sighns.

Then , because new, you have total control , and know the history of the tires, so they might last that 10 years of use.

Even respected tiremakers write this in Europe, where almost only C-tyre ( = LT tire) are used for TT and motorhomes, but also an ocacional XL normal cartyre ( P-tire).

Organisations in Europe that represent comany's that sell also tires, like BOVAG here in the Netherlands still go from 6 years ( of use or after DOT date, dont know) so if you let them check the tires, they yust disqualifi them because of the age.
Also insurances have direct or indirect demand to replace after 6 years .

So in Europe 6 years at least is normal,but in USA 3 to 4 years. So first get used to the 6 years, then later , when you dont need extra oxigen anymore, and got a new bottle , I will go on about the 10 years after mounting, and 2 years profesional storing after production can be seen as new, so SOMETIMES this can mean 12 years after DOT-date preventively changing the tires.

But not for ST, unless treated as LT and of a trusted brand.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:17 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljones1251 View Post
Goodyear Wrangler. That’s what comes on the new Micro Minnie’s from the factory.
I saw a new MM with those tires earlier this week. Looks very aggressive, (almost too much so). I wonder how they will wear and/or handle.

If these are it, they're an LT rated at a C Load Range
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Old 04-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1001 View Post
My 2022 Micro Minnie 2225RL came with Goodyear Endurance tires. It was built in late October. Traveling from Maine to Florida right now and very happy with the way they're riding and wearing. Only wish Winnebago had put one on the spare rather than the crappy Chinese Westlake that's on there now.
What? No love for Westlake?
My 2021 2108ds came with 15” Westlakes. I was almost frightened by this forum into replacing them early. But after a year and a half, and over 10,000 miles they’re showing absolutely zero signs of wear. The 65mph limit doesn’t bother me, as I don’t feel the need for speed. Maybe I should knock on wood and keep them for another year before switching to GY. For OP, I would be concerned about moving up to E range. With more air and a firmer sidewall, I don’t know if the MM suspension can tame the bounce that may be created. Really no reason to move higher than D.
Old 04-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My Goodyear Endurance ST tires are rated at 87mph, not 65mph
przero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by przero View Post
The pressure/ loadcapacity list of Endurance is yust an expantion of the old list, as far as same sises. And because maxload is related to maximum speed, this made me conclude that though max speed of Endurance is N speedrated/ 140kmph/87mph. Reference-speed , speed for wich maxload is determined, is still 65mph.

Not an uncommon act of handling in the tire-world.
A P-tire speedcode T for instance /maxspeed 190kmph/118mph. But reference-speed is 160kmph/99mph. For higher speed in the official system to calculate tirepressure, the reference-pressure has to be highened up with a system, depending on speedcode.

Below Q speedcode( 99mph maxspeed, the maxspeed is referencespeed , but this Endurance N is an exeption to the rule.

So I concluded this from what I wrote above, or must I say its my opinion.
To my opinion conclusion is the right word.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by przero View Post

Your TV has an engine rated redline so why don't you drive with the engine at the Redline?

I know the answer but just pointing our the problem with the analogy. The formula used to calculate load capacity for ST tires is based on a stated 65mph max operation speed. Some ST tires may be capable of running faster but the SAE "Speed test" is based on 10 minute step speed with the tire at 88% os the sidewall max load.
The qualification test does not say you can expect to drive at the speed "rating" multiple times, or at higher than 88% of the tire max load.

Damage to the tire structure is cumulative and irreversible. Belt separations i.e. "Blowouts" to some users are the result of crack growth between the belts and between the belts and the body ply. Damage starts at the molecular level with "long change polymers" having their bonds breaking. These breaks grow to cracks which grow to full separations over hundreds or thousands of miles.
This is what cracks look like when they start.

and this is what they can look like after hundreds of miles growth.

These pictures are from my
May 18, 2018 post "ST tire belt separation autopsy" in my RVTireSafety blog.

So you can drive at speeds above 65 or at 100% of the tire max rated load. But please don't complain if you suffer a "Blowout".
Old 04-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #16

Those cavity's on 2nd picture you wont see on the outside, but would you hear difference in sound , when hammering the treath with a hammer?

Once saw that on TV, was done to check if tires could be resold to the 3th world.

Probably less important there , if someone died by accident by tire-failure, but thats another thing.

If we could use it, to detect these cavity's , before they become a risk, it would be welcome .
Old 04-17-2022, 01:42 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
So you can drive at speeds above 65 or at 100% of the tire max rated load. But please don't complain if you suffer a "Blowout".
Thanks for all the info! Of course there are other reasons to keep the speed down, and that's fuel and stability. I like to keep it down to 65mph and less for those reasons. My weekend trip started with heavy crosswinds, and keeping the speed down helped a lot. I haven't tracked fuel economy much, partly because my land cruiser is a guzzler, but also because we tend to camp at fairly short distances from home so fuel isn't a huge factor. I really like driving at 55, but there seem to be few roads left that go that slow.

I'm still unsure if I'll go beyond the Goodyear Endurance of the same specs I have now. If I want a higher load rating, or to go LT vs ST, I'll need new wheels as they need to be 15" vs. my current 14". Does the "margin" of having more than you need help that much if you stay properly within the specs? That is, I'll certainly be at 65mph and below, and I won't be overloading my tires. So is an "over spec" tire actually helpful in any way? Will it last longer or be safer? After these discussions my instinct is "not really" but thought I'd ask since we have experts here
Old 04-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
Those cavity's on 2nd picture you wont see on the outside, but would you hear difference in sound , when hammering the treath with a hammer?

Once saw that on TV, was done to check if tires could be resold to the 3th world.

Probably less important there , if someone died by accident by tire-failure, but thats another thing.

If we could use it, to detect these cavity's , before they become a risk, it would be welcome .

If you had done some 20,000 tire autopsies as I have over my 40 years you might be able to see the signs of separation as I did in the above example. That's how I knew where to cut.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! Of course there are other reasons to keep the speed down, and that's fuel and stability. I like to keep it down to 65mph and less for those reasons. My weekend trip started with heavy crosswinds, and keeping the speed down helped a lot. I haven't tracked fuel economy much, partly because my land cruiser is a guzzler, but also because we tend to camp at fairly short distances from home so fuel isn't a huge factor. I really like driving at 55, but there seem to be few roads left that go that slow.

I'm still unsure if I'll go beyond the Goodyear Endurance of the same specs I have now. If I want a higher load rating, or to go LT vs ST, I'll need new wheels as they need to be 15" vs. my current 14". Does the "margin" of having more than you need help that much if you stay properly within the specs? That is, I'll certainly be at 65mph and below, and I won't be overloading my tires. So is an "over spec" tire actually helpful in any way? Will it last longer or be safer? After these discussions my instinct is "not really" but thought I'd ask since we have experts here

I think you would have greater choice and probably better durability if you find an LT type tire that is rated for greater load capacity than your current ST tires. This is based on the belief that the DOT testing on LT tires is tougher than the test requirements for ST type.

I have found that 62 mph is best for my 24' Class C on Chevy 4500 w/ 6.0L based on engine mpg readings collected over some cross country trips.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:32 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Trailer tires are for trailers! Light Truck tires are for pickups and similar vehicles. DON'T RUN car tires on trailers! A higher speed rating or" DOT car label" doesn't mean it is a "better" tire for a trailer!

Run the RIGHT load range too! Too heavy a load range will make the tire much 'firmer/harder', especially on less than ideal roads. Car tires and too low a load range will cause you all sorts of problems with the tire sidewalls. Everything from trailer sway to 'snakebite' flats and outright BLOWOUTS have been personally experienced with borrowed trailers mainly.

Car and Light Truck tires might work well on a utility trailer hauling a lawnmower but, as soon as you load it up, at least for me, the sidewalls start to flex until they fail! If you hit a pothole or something in the road, you can lose the trailer and tow vehicle even if you know what to do. I have seen way too many travel and Uhaul trailers in the Interstate median to minimize the seriousness of proper trailer tires and tire pressures!

In terms of speed rating for your tires, if you need more than 87mph, I don't want to share the road with you! Having a higher speed rating doesn't mean it is a better tire. In fact, it could mean you have the WRONG tire! Even if my tires were rated for more than 87mph, do I want to pay the fuel bill for that velocity? And, why do I need to speed so much to get to my destination?

As someone who has sold tires in the past, I can tell you that if you have a blowout on the road at some random location, you will find a 15" tire a lot easier than a 14" tire and, the 15" tire may actually be cheaper!

If you keep them properly inflated, STEEL TRAILER TIRES will rot in the sunshine and fail before you wear them out! In the harsh sunshine of Texas, I run ~8 years before steel trailer tires fail. A good Goodyear trailer tire will generally last about half as long IN MY USAGE! I will not mount a Westlake brand tire. Carlyle is a mixed bag with some really good trailer tires and some pretty cheap trailer tires so, you need to know what you are paying for!
sidpost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade