Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #501
Winnebago Master

I have external TPMS sensors for my Micro Minnie. I was a bit concerned about applying too much stress to my rubber valve stems... but also not too keen to have the stems replaced just prior to a trip. I decided to support the stems using adhesive backed closed-cell foam (0.5" in cross-section). It seems to work very well so I thought I'd share it. I did have the tires spin-balanced with the foam and TPMS sensors installed. So far I've got 3400 miles on them (wet and dry) and the foam is still there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #502
Winnebago Owner

Abusing our 2108DS or “mi stupido”

Here are some things not to do with your 2108. Of course getting old makes it easier to fall prey to these mental errors. Fortunately the Micro Minnie is well made, and she takes a lickin and keeps on tickin

1. Conversing with campsite neighbor during departure prep: Got out of sequence and removed X-chocks before putting coupler on the ball. Bam! Jack slides off blocks, bending foot of jack. Fortunately it didn’t slide into our truck, and no visible damage to MM.

2. Getting up in middle of dark night to use the facilities, inadvertently stepped on the structure surrounding the underside of the slide. crunch! Not much of a structure, just thin luan panel. Bloody foot, and fortunate not to break the slide controller mounted only an inch from where I fell through the panel. Now we follow Motel 6 and keep a light on.

3. Redistributing weight to dinette: We carry a 7gal jug of fresh water to extend our boondocking. I needed to get some weight off the tongue, so I put it under a dinette seat. Bringing in the slide. Crack! Luan panel on the other side of the one I had already broken breaks into several pieces. No damage to slide, but now obvious, you shouldn’t put excessive weight in the slide when opening/closing.

I’ll probably do many more things to destroy our lovely camper. Now to fry myself while installing an easy start. Now if I could only find a couple more stooges to make it an even three.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C6B938E-3572-4D97-9A50-485F8146E0D4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	180267  
Old 07-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #503
Winnie-Wise

Oh ouch! But thanks for sharing. I should have guessed those parts of the slide were that weak, but honestly I have never thought about it.

Well, on the plus side, once you cover them up, you now have access panels on each side of your slide. You can fish wire through there for something or other if you want. Mine has a single access panel on the front of the slide base to the right, but I really could use one on the left. But I don't think I'll take the exact approach you did to create them!
Old 07-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #504
Winnebago Owner

I’m giving stooges a bad name.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #505
Winnebago Watcher

Group compliment

We are currently without an RV but we are thinking about a MM — well,ok, that’s mostly me right now. I have read every post on this thread to get an idea of what’s going on in the community, and one thing has really struck me. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I saw none of the snark you seem to get on so many forums. I look forward to a new RV, and if it’s a MM as I hope, I look forward to interacting with this community.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #506
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
We are currently without an RV but we are thinking about a MM — well,ok, that’s mostly me right now. I have read every post on this thread to get an idea of what’s going on in the community, and one thing has really struck me. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I saw none of the snark you seem to get on so many forums. I look forward to a new RV, and if it’s a MM as I hope, I look forward to interacting with this community.
Dive on in Mark,
The water’s fine. The MM owners here have saved me a small fortune, and countless hours of head scratching. Good luck, and happy camping.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #507
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
MarkP I completely agree with you on the nice and helpful members here. A lot of high quality folks here. There is a Facebook Group with the same high quality folks and since you are interested in a Micro Minnie the website is totally devoted to MMs. It is a closed group but really simple to join. Google Winnebago Micro Minnie Owners.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #508
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Here are some things not to do with your 2108. Of course getting old makes it easier to fall prey to these mental errors. Fortunately the Micro Minnie is well made, and she takes a lickin and keeps on tickin

1. Conversing with campsite neighbor during departure prep: Got out of sequence and removed X-chocks before putting coupler on the ball. Bam! Jack slides off blocks, bending foot of jack. Fortunately it didn’t slide into our truck, and no visible damage to MM.

2. Getting up in middle of dark night to use the facilities, inadvertently stepped on the structure surrounding the underside of the slide. crunch! Not much of a structure, just thin luan panel. Bloody foot, and fortunate not to break the slide controller mounted only an inch from where I fell through the panel. Now we follow Motel 6 and keep a light on.

3. Redistributing weight to dinette: We carry a 7gal jug of fresh water to extend our boondocking. I needed to get some weight off the tongue, so I put it under a dinette seat. Bringing in the slide. Crack! Luan panel on the other side of the one I had already broken breaks into several pieces. No damage to slide, but now obvious, you shouldn’t put excessive weight in the slide when opening/closing.

I’ll probably do many more things to destroy our lovely camper. Now to fry myself while installing an easy start. Now if I could only find a couple more stooges to make it an even three.
Wow, what are those boxes under the slide for?

If it makes you feel any better, I put my knee through the luaun panel under the bed. I was messing around with the mattress (replaced it) and never would have thought that would be simple luaun... <crack!>

And on that note: I found a mattress at Ikea for $250 CDN that is super comfortable, and fits *perfectly* in the place of the original mattress. The OEM mattress is just garbage. Couldn't believe when I looked inside. The bunk mattresses are even worse. It's not even foam, but 100% poly batting. Just enough to inflate that soft cover for photos. Winnebago should really be ashamed of that one.

I re-used most of the material from the "queen" bed, cut it up, and replaced one of the bunk beds. It wasn't good enough for adults but is fine for the kids. Now just need to find some good foam for the second bunk.

Not to complain too much, most things are great. These are just the few negatives I've found.

At least it's not as bad as what I discovered about the roof construction on my 2014 Coachmen Apex. The roof is a luaun/foam/luaun foam composite sandwich. Which, when knew would be quite strong. But after 7 years of moisture... not so much. But what's worse, it appears that they cut slots for all the aluminum trusses, but then left half of them out... I kid you not. It's the only way I can explain how it feels. And then I was working around the skylight in the shower, and found that where there should be a truss in front of the skylight, it's just a void. The aluminum beam is just missing.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #509
Winnebago Camper

Anyone have SoftstartRV or equivalent? Intend to use 2350 peak watt generator (Wen) to be able to run 15,000 BTU A/C. Also, good reviews on the Wen at low cost vs Honda 2200. Anyone have a Wen? Thanks, Steve
Old 07-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #510
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaimom View Post
Anyone have SoftstartRV or equivalent? Intend to use 2350 peak watt generator (Wen) to be able to run 15,000 BTU A/C. Also, good reviews on the Wen at low cost vs Honda 2200. Anyone have a Wen? Thanks, Steve
I installed the SoftStartRV on my Dometic Brisk II AC about 2 weeks ago. It works great with my Wen 2350. Here is a photo of it mounted on my AC. What else would you like to know? Do you have the same Dometic AC?
Old 07-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #511
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaimom View Post
Here is a photo of my Wen 2350 running in a 1500 watt load.

Same load but exactly 60 Hertz.

I bought a magnetic dipstick accessory.

For the money I don't think you can beat it. I run mine for 30 minutes once a month when not camping. It usually starts on the first pull. A good friend who has a Yamaha says it has the same engine. $439 at Target. Amazon lists it but no price shown.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #512
Winnebago Owner

Funny, I was just looking at those soft starters. I like the idea of them to reduce LRA on the compressor, but man are they ever expensive, hard to justify at that price.

I have found my 3000W inverter can start my AC unit. The only problem I have had is that when the compressor starts, the surge can pull the battery voltage down momentarily. The batteries normally have a 10.0V cutoff, but I set the inverter to stop at 11.5V, and I was hitting this. I had to drop that setting to 10.4V to make sure the AC can start. Not a huge deal...

But again, would like to have an a soft starter, just can't justify the price right now.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #513
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
Funny, I was just looking at those soft starters. I like the idea of them to reduce LRA on the compressor, but man are they ever expensive, hard to justify at that price.

I have found my 3000W inverter can start my AC unit. The only problem I have had is that when the compressor starts, the surge can pull the battery voltage down momentarily. The batteries normally have a 10.0V cutoff, but I set the inverter to stop at 11.5V, and I was hitting this. I had to drop that setting to 10.4V to make sure the AC can start. Not a huge deal...

But again, would like to have an a soft starter, just can't justify the price right now.
Sorry, I don't understand. What does the AC compressor starting have to do with the battery voltage dropping? Are you saying that you are using a big inverter rather than being connected to shore power or a 115 volt generator?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:05 AM   #514
Winnebago Master

shanghaimom, Steve, you asked questions and then disappeared. Where did you go?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #515
Winnebago Owner

Yes, sorry. I've got a 3000W inverter drawing from 2x170Ah lithium batteries.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #516
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, sorry. I've got a 3000W inverter drawing from 2x170Ah lithium batteries.
That makes sense. Thanks
Old 08-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #517
Winnebago Camper

New owner

2100bh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	707BAA23-9B02-420A-9EB1-ABA4130B0D45.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	180476  
Old 08-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #518
Winnebago Master

Congratulations! Now go have fun.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:24 AM   #519
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Where is that location? I don't recognize it.

I'm aware a lot of this is available on bluetooth, but a few issues:
1) I've got the Renogy battery monitor, and there is no BT option for that.
2) I've got wifi/bluetooth gear all over my house, and flat out, it's not reliable. All brands. All the time. It doesn't "just work" so backup manual controls are necessary. Most of the time, it's flat out easier to just use a manual light switch.
Pass through
Old 08-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #520
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
shanghaimom, Steve, you asked questions and then disappeared. Where did you go?
Sorry, went off the grid! I bought the Wen 2350 and m having the softstartrv installed now. Will let you know if it can start/run my 15000 BTU Dometic A/C.

Have you installed a high altitude kit on your Wen? I live at 2500' and likely will be at this or above on most trips

Thanks for your patience! Steve
Closed Thread