Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Micro Minnie Slide Questions

Considering a Micro Minnie BH model, either with or without a slide.
1st. Can you sit or stand in the slide with it in without hurting it?

#2 Is there a way to crank the slide in or out in case of motor failure or other problems? Hate to think of having to "shove" it back in by brute force.

Actually kind of leaning away from getting a slide model to keep away from possible problems (plus the added expense and weight)
Thanks All!!!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you don’t need the extra seating for meals, I’d probably just get the 1800BH. The slide isn’t super easy to retract manually. You will have to push after disengaging the motors.

The slide offers valuable interior space, but it does add complexity and weight.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:42 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
If you don’t need the extra seating for meals, I’d probably just get the 1800BH. The slide isn’t super easy to retract manually. You will have to push after disengaging the motors.

The slide offers valuable interior space, but it does add complexity and weight.
Keeping the slide rails clean and lubricated will definitely help extend their lifespan.

This weekend, I power washed my rig with the slide extended and was surprised at the amount of dirt that accumulated within the rails.

I then generously re-lubed and cycled the slide, carefully listening for anything out of the ordinary.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
Keeping the slide rails clean and lubricated will definitely help extend their lifespan.

This weekend, I power washed my rig with the slide extended and was surprised at the amount of dirt that accumulated within the rails.

I then generously re-lubed and cycled the slide, carefully listening for anything out of the ordinary.
Did you also lube the pinion on the inside, or is it sufficiently ent to just lube the racks while slide is out?
Old 07-03-2021, 05:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

There is quite a bit of discussion on the retracted slide usage question out there on the forums for other brands. The responses from the manufacturers seem to vary for the Schwintek slides. You probably ought to contact Winnebago with that question and let us know what you find out. Thus far we haven’t been putting extra weight on the slide while retracted.

Definitely spend an hour or two in both the 1800 and 2100 to see how each feels. I only walked through the 1800 briefly, but I really liked it. I’m a less-is-more person when it comes to trailers (not trucks). However, given the size of my family (older kids) the 2100 was the only viable option. We really like our trailer. I expect you’ll be quite happy either way.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Did you also lube the pinion on the inside, or is it sufficiently ent to just lube the racks while slide is out?
Good question. To be honest, I never though about the pinion. Hopefully lubing the rack was sufficient. Keeping it clean is just as important as lubrication.

This was the first time I used 3-IN-ONE slide lube. Hopefully it doesn't attract dirt. I have the rest of their products and like the smart strawsprays.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The reason for asking is with a slide I would probably take out the dinette and replace it with either theater seating from recpro or a LazyBoy recliner with either a Lagun table to the side or a nuova-mapa table that I saw in a Lance trailer.....killer table.
I wouldn't use the slide out when dry camping in a Walmart or truckstop or if bad weather was on the way. Slide out if in the very rare camp ground or mostly when boondocking on BLM grounds. I also like the idea of no slide for one less possible problem, expense and side wall integrity.
https://www.rvpartsexpress.com.au/nu...ng-system.html
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I'm wondering how practical it is to use the trailer with the slide in. Perhaps it's my big size, or maybe the fact we have the dinette, but I find it very hard to get around in the TT with the slide in. It's doable, but I wouldn't want to camp that way. But maybe the sofa is a different story (i.e., 2108DS with sofa, or prior 2106DS models)?

I'm dreading the day when the slide breaks. Hopefully it won't happen, but looks to me like you need to get at the motors from the outside which means you need a ladder. I've been using the 3-in-1 slide lube, but haven't tried to power wash them out. They seem clean enough at least.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You can get to the bathroom with slide in, but it’s a tight squeeze. But you can’t fully open the fridge doors. So yes, in a pinch, you can use it with slide in.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

You can fully access the fridge in the 2100 with the slide retracted. The “hallway” is narrow but doable. I wouldn’t want to live that way for more than one night.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:06 PM   #11
Micro Mini 2108TB

So, I purchased a used 2020, 2108TB and like so many have found the Owner's Manual to be as useful as a pocket in a bride's nightie. As of today I have not towed the trailer. I have three question that I cannot find answers to:
1. Is there a lock on the slide to prevent it from opening when travelling? I am thinking of the effects of vibration and road bumps. If so how do you operate the lock?
2. How do I manually retract the slide if there is no electrical power. The manual states, "Locate motor retaining screws located at the top of each slide column". But it does not say if this is inside or outside of the trailer. And what is the slide column? The manual also states: ... the slideroom can be manually pulled back into its retracted position" So to pull you must be inside the trailer, otherwise it would be push. Therefore what do you pull on?
3. What is it that needs to be cleaned and lubricated? Is it just the outside rails, or is it the motor gearing?
Gentlemen, your help would be muchly appreciated.
Senecio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I believe the electric motors act as a brake to keep the slide from moving while you’re traveling. You do want to make sure the system has power (there is an on/off switch in the panel by the entry door in addition to the in/out switch).

Lippert (LCI) has videos on YouTube showing how to disengage the motors if you need to PUSH the slide back in. They also have videos on how to lubricate the system. It’s hard to cover these without writing a novel.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senecio View Post
So, I purchased a used 2020, 2108TB and like so many have found the Owner's Manual to be as useful as a pocket in a bride's nightie.
1. Is there a lock on the slide to prevent it from opening when travelling? I am thinking of the effects of vibration and road bumps. If so how do you operate the lock?
2. How do I manually retract the slide if there is no electrical power.
1. Some people are extra safe and cut a 2x4 to wedge between the wall and the top of the slide when it is retracted. I don’t do that, as I believe the motor mechanism and rack and pinion will prevent the slide from going out under normal driving conditions, as long as the slide power switch is turned off.

2. There should always be a source of power to retract the slide. If your main battery is run down, connect the 7-pin of your tow vehicle to your trailer and start the tow vehicle. It may take a few minutes, but there will be enough juice to bring the slide in. It also helps to carry a power brick/jump starter. It will have enough juice to bring the slide in given a couple of minutes to juice the battery.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
2. There should always be a source of power to retract the slide. If your main battery is run down, connect the 7-pin of your tow vehicle to your trailer and start the tow vehicle. It may take a few minutes, but there will be enough juice to bring the slide in. It also helps to carry a power brick/jump starter. It will have enough juice to bring the slide in given a couple of minutes to juice the battery.
If you ever do discover you have zero power to the slide even when the tow vehicle is plugged in and running, then the culprit is most likely the 30A manual breaker in the junction box under the frame (i.e., by the road) on the street side where the tongue joins the frame. You can see photos here: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3890779 I've never had this happen, but once in a while someone reports on this forum that they have zero power and this is what it is. The button is real tiny and very hard to see...but it's there.

Of course you might wonder how the breaker managed to trip. I get the impression those reporting this issue tend to have just been reworking their battery setup so I imagine they accidentally grounded something and tripped it.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #15
Micro Mini 2108TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I believe the electric motors act as a brake to keep the slide from moving while you’re traveling. You do want to make sure the system has power (there is an on/off switch in the panel by the entry door in addition to the in/out switch).

Lippert (LCI) has videos on YouTube showing how to disengage the motors if you need to PUSH the slide back in. They also have videos on how to lubricate the system. It’s hard to cover these without writing a novel.
Many thanks Backtrack. you have been very helpful to me and not just for this response. Senecio
Old 07-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #16
Micro Mini 2108TB

Hi Marine,
Your reply is most helpful; slowly I become wiser. Regards, Senecio
Old 07-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Angry 2020 2108DS Slide Experience

The slide on our 2108DS stopped working near Lake Tahoe, more than 2000 miles from home. Winnebago sent me information about computer override (module on the inside under the slide), but override did not solve our problem. No mobile repair was available (one guy refused to work on Schwintek slides, which ours is), but one nice tech talked to me on the phone, and directed me to Youtube to figure out how to get the slide in manually.

As other have said, you need to get a ladder. Go to the top of each side from the outside, remove a screw, pull a little of the rubber covering away, and use a screwdriver to disengage each motor by moving them upward about an inch. We then replaced the rubber and screws, and pushed in manually. It is not easy to push, and it won't slide back out easily. The slide is best blocked for transport by putting a board across the top of the slide, from the wall to the interior edge. We did not have the ability to cut the right size board, so we pushed in folded lawn chairs (in their cases) into the top slide side to fill the space between the wall and the front (interior-most) edge of the slide. It never budged all the way home. We lived in it for 5 nights as we worked our way back home. No problem, except we couldn't get to the TV or the cabinets under the TV.

Heed the advice on slide operation....once you start pulling it in our sending it out, do not stop until fully in or out. Our problem happened because we had the TV poorly positioned as we brought the slide in, and we stopped mid-stream and sent it back out a little. However, Winnebago covered this under warranty. The place we purchased had a "Schwintek wizard" who replace one motor and re-synced it, and since then it works like it did originally (about 6 months of use since repair).

While it is functioning normally and the motors are engaged, I don't worry about it sliding out. We only blocked it in the in position for the transport pending repair.

Something to be said for not having a slide. However, we do enjoy the extra space and we use the dinette quite a bit.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Considering a Micro Minnie BH model, either with or without a slide.
1st. Can you sit or stand in the slide with it in without hurting it?

#2 Is there a way to crank the slide in or out in case of motor failure or other problems? Hate to think of having to "shove" it back in by brute force.

Actually kind of leaning away from getting a slide model to keep away from possible problems (plus the added expense and weight)
Thanks All!!!

Usually the restriction is to not have people in the slide while your extending or retracting it however using it after pulling it in, for example during a storm, usually does not harm anything unless it has a delicate lift/tilt mechanism that raises and lowers it to provide a level floor when extended. However I would be vetting that out before purchasing a coach with such a limitation since if the mechanism can be damaged by having people eat lunch in the dinette when the slide is retracted then is it really sturdy enough to drive down a roadway with expansion joints, etc?

Often there is a hex head on the screw mechanism to allow for cranking them in on a mechanical slide. On those that need to be pulled in Winnebago often provides a strap winch that hooks to a strap under the sofa and perhaps the lip at the top of the stairwell.

Since there can be changes in the instructions on the various slide mechanisms Winnebago often just gives an overview in the Operators Manual and provides the manual from the slide mechanisms manufacturer to give the details relevant to the mechanism installed at the time the coach was built.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #19
Micro Mini 2108TB

Thank you dougjanyce and everyone else who has provided information. I don't feel that I am ready for disaster, but at least I am prepared should Murphy strike.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2100BH and love it! The extra space with the slide dinette was well worth the extra cost(which in our case was not really that much extra when the negotiations were done). Me and my 4 y/o twins have done 2 7500+ mile trips cross country and have never had a problem. We travel most days so it gets a lot of in and out and have never had any issue. When stopping for lunch at truck stops or rest areas we sit in it without sliding it out. The bathroom and all kitchen cabinets and fridge are accessible. It’s tight, but it definitely works. We’ve spent a few nights at camp Wallyworld without sliding it out and we manage. I love our 2100BH, it’s the perfect size for any pull thru spot and have NEVER had a problem finding a place to park to camp. Let me know if you have any other questions about the model, I’d be happy to give you real world experience. My kids and I just got home from a 9,200 mile trip around the US, good to be home but I miss the road!!
Advtwindad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide