Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Micro Minnie Slide Out Issue

Today I noticed that when my slide out is completely retracted I have about a 1/8" gap on the lower rear corner. The pic shows this. The silicone seal is even lifted away from the mating surface along with the black graphic decal. So I know that this is not supposed to be happening.

When I extend the slide out the gap disappears. It only appears when the slide out is fully closed. If it's extended even 1" the gap is gone.

The other lower corner is fine.

I'm guessing this is a warranty issue as I have not even had the TT for 3 months and it's still winterized from the dealership? I haven't camped in it once yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_155248.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	182920  
Old 05-22-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I guess nobody knows anything about this? This has never happened to anyone?

Well, I don't have time to get it into some place to get it looked at. I am moving the TT 1400 miles west to Idaho this weekend. So I used some silicone to fill the gap for now as I don't want water seeping inside.

It looks like the screw lost it's hold and I could probably fix it by just adding a new screw or 2. But this TT is 2 months old. I'm going to let Winnebago handle it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220522_154707.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	182930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220522_160213.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	182931  

Old 05-23-2022, 02:16 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I guess nobody knows anything about this? This has never happened to anyone?
To be fair, you didn't really allow much time for a response nor did you ask for any input. Glad you figured it out. Safe travels.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Poor Construction

Hi I had issues with slide out.The more miles on TT the worst it gets. Mine was on front lower corner noticed slide moving in and out while driving, screws are backing out? Fix with oversize screws and add more self tap screws like original. Drive another year and notice it happening again! Last fix is new bolts and washers and locking bolt to aluminum frame in wall. The roads will beat a TT to death.
Matt
matt2645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

DaveW, the problems with the slide out are well known and this has been a very active issue on Winnebago Micro Minnie Owners website. When you get a chance you should take it to a dealer for repair.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1584194471853132
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies. I will be taking it to a dealer in Idaho for this issue as well as to have them sign off on the recall issue.

But I feel better now knowing that this is a common issue. If it happens again after the dealer fixes it then I will nip the issue in the bud and bolt it to the frame like Matt did. I don't like having to fix the same issue multiple times.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Dave, did you get your slide problem taken care of? I have the same problem on my 2022 micro minnie, the front bottom corner does not slide all the way back in. There is a 1.5 inch gap when the slide is completely closed on the front bottom corner of slide. Just wondering if you had to take it in to repair or is there a DIY way of correcting?
Thanks,
Buck2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

For OP and all MM owners:
The maker of MM slides is Schwintek. They have some helpful videos on maintaining this slide system. Aside from screws missing, I might presume that the motors are not totally synched. Have you tried re-synching the motors a few times? To do this fully extend the slide and continue to hold down the extend switch for at least 3 seconds after the slide is fully extended. Then fully retract the slide, and again continue depressing the retract switch for 3 seconds. This procedure puts the slide mechanism back into alignment. If you haven’t done so, I found it helpful to watch this video:
https://youtu.be/dSxC-0GSWwk
Old 08-12-2022, 04:15 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
For OP and all MM owners:
The maker of MM slides is Schwintek. They have some helpful videos on maintaining this slide system. Aside from screws missing, I might presume that the motors are not totally synched. Have you tried re-synching the motors a few times? To do this fully extend the slide and continue to hold down the extend switch for at least 3 seconds after the slide is fully extended. Then fully retract the slide, and again continue depressing the retract switch for 3 seconds. This procedure puts the slide mechanism back into alignment. If you haven’t done so, I found it helpful to watch this video:
https://youtu.be/dSxC-0GSWwk
Very informative, thanks!

I sub to this channel, and he replaced his Schwintek with a Vroom system. Not cheap, ($2800 w/ installation) but it seems to be very robust and offers piece of mind.

https://vroomslidesystems.com/vroom-slide-system/

Old 08-04-2023, 08:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hi David

I noticed the same issue. We're you able to get it fixed properly?
Greeko79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

2 cents on Schwintek (now Lippert) Slide room mechanisms

1st off understand the mechanics of the slide room.
Its a box with one side missing. 2 motors one on each shaft rotate a top and a bottom gear against the tracks attached to each side of the box. that moves the box in or out.
The top and bottom should stay in sync because they are both fixed to the shaft so that the top or bottom doesn't get ahead or behind the other. The sides extending and retracting in sync rely on the motors knowing when they have reached their retracted or extended position. this is determined by the controller "measuring" the "resistance" to turning the shaft. these can get out of sync from a variety of causes.
Proper operation of the slide room is key to allowing the controller to keep the slide motors in sync.
The room is stable when fully extended or fully retracted because it seats against the inside or outside of trailer wall. In between its a teeter totter. But, when fully retracted, the inside edge is not resting on anything so care in the retracted position is very much needed.

so a couple of "rules" I've learned on this board and a variety of YouTubes,...
1. Treat the fully retracted slide carefully, avoid using it (sitting in it) when retracted, don't over load those large storage areas under the seats. Couple hundred pounds max (Hat tip to Marine359)
2. Operating the slide should be one fluid movement from fully retracted to fully extended and vice versa. That means press the button (Extend or Retract) and HOLD IT UNTIL THE MOTORS STOP *and continue to hold for 3 seconds*
This allows the controller to learn the resistance of the motors in normal operations.
3. Check the floor and the roof for objects that could impede movement before retracting the slide room. Especially that narrow space between the room and the Medius center.
4. Lube the mechanism periodically and properly.
https://youtu.be/A0my90W3AKM

All well and good but there is also assembly and, fit and finish, issues. It's the nature of the industry. Don't get me started.
Lippert identified an unelaborated issue with the manufacture of slides mechanisms that were subsequently installed in Micro Minnies. Been discussed previously Here

Another Tip I learned on this board and I'll pass along,...
when searching this board use the Google search box at the top of the page. It will very often get you back to a relevant post on this board more quickly and accurately than using the boards search functions (hat tip to creativepart)

These are, In my opinion, a very basic set of operation instructions that should be provided with any slide equipped RV. There are many YouTube videos that can provide more in-depth knowledge. (Caveat Emptor)

-Steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 06:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

SactoSteve thanks for the good write-up. A lot of folks should benefit from it.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 03:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

On our 2012 36 ft Journey the curb side slide does not retract all the way. It leaves a gap of about an inch or more. Nothing is in the way to impede it. I used to retract all the way. Is this a trip to the factory type of thing?

BTW, the gap is in the rear so it's not open to the air flow.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:53 AM   #14
Micro Minnie 1800BH

After owning 3 motorhomes with slides I was excited most to purchase a TT with NO SLIDES.
There are things my wife loves about our MM 1800BH, me the fact that I have no ‘slide anxiety’ over associated problems and maintenance.

Lots of helpful members here offering sound advice.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 06:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
On our 2012 36 ft Journey the curb side slide does not retract all the way. It leaves a gap of about an inch or more. Nothing is in the way to impede it. I used to retract all the way. Is this a trip to the factory type of thing?

BTW, the gap is in the rear so it's not open to the air flow.
We got home yesterday from a trip and now the slide is retracted fully on its own.

I didn't do anything.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We had slide issues on our 2021, 2108DS, that we bought used in 2021 after the second slide failure we went with the vroom system. Yes it cost more but we have the Extra Ride extended warranty that helped with the cost. 3 trips with the vroom system and no problems. It’s just a better built system, they use rivets instead of screws, it comes with a template that they use to set the tracks. Will keep everyone posting as time goes by. Ron
RonW58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Hard to "ding" Winnebago for a Lippert component build problem.
We had the same problem. Had a mobile tech do the repair without contacting Winnebago first. Which was the wrong approach. But Winnebago covered the repair. And I believe Lippert covers Winnebago?
BTW using the "template" to align the rails is (I was told) SOP.

-Steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hi Steve, Not sure what SOP means. One thing that I forgot to mention is that when they did the slide assembly they also added rollers to the inside to help with the slide sagging on the inside when closed which really helped. I do agree with not sitting on the dinette when in the closed positions and over loading the storage boxes. I know I could have gone with Lippert again and our Extra Ride insurance would have paid for most of it again. But I will say it again the vroom system is just a better built system. Ron
Old 08-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW58 View Post
Hi Steve, Not sure what SOP means.
SOP means "standard operating procedure"
Old 08-12-2023, 01:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I guess I’ve been retired for so long I don’t use those acronyms anymore. In any case I've watched a lot of lippert youtube videos and have never seen them use a jig to install a slide mechanism. I came out off the trades and I know what a better design and materials do for a piece of equipment, and I know there are tons of Lippert slides out there that have not failed.

Tags
slide, slide out