Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Micro Minnie Oxidization

Good Day,

Seems there are a lot of 2016 - 2019 Colored Micro Minnies with Outside Wall Oxidization. The worst I've seen is Red, Assume all other colors are not far behind. Maybe white is the one color that oxidizes the least.

Can this Oxidation be buffed out?

If so, what is the best product?

Thanks

Wonder if the Azdel walls on the new ones will do this?
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:42 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

White survives the best, black the worst.

As for what to use? There are sooo many products, but they all have one thing in common—a fine pumice in the product that basically grinds the oxidation off. Think toothpastes.

Wash afterwards, then wax. Ideally the wax will have no pumice compound in it or it’s not a true wax.

I can’t wait to hear everyone’s favorite product recommendations…
Old 02-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

favorite product recommendation

As a preventative, or after restoration, Rejex.
https://www.corrosionx.com/products/rejex

-Steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:22 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I've restored dozens of cars in my lifetime. So much of keeping any vehicle (boat, RV or auto) looking new and free of oxidation depends on environment, product and maintenance.

There's restoration and then there's maintenance. Your ultimate results will be dependent on how much time you spend on restoration.

1. Wash (with dawn) and clay the vehicle to remove all prior waxes

2. Spend the time to correctly restore the finish first by using an orbital buffer and the correct pad(s). Use a quality polish.

3. Apply multiple layers of a high quality wax.

4. Post wax, when washing, use a detergent that will not strip the wax. I use a spray-on UV ceramic wax after the rinse prior to drying.

As far as maintenance, depending on where you live, keeping anything clean and free of dirt will help preserve the surface and/or clearcoat. Although trailers usually don't have this clearcoat, keeping it clean and waxed will go a long way.

For now, I'm not going to suggest any products (sorry wyatt , as technology is ever changing and some of the stuff sold nowadays is FAR better than what was available even 10 years ago. Lots of info and reviews out there.

Here's a pic that I took of my black pickup truck in FL this year. It's 21 years old and spent the majority of its life exposed to the hot CA desert sun. Being plastic, the clearcoat on the front bumper eventually succumbed to the elements. Every few years, I'll apply the restoration process above and it keeps me from buying a new truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	182098  
Old 02-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I found this to work very well.

Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover

As 'RocknRoll' stated use a small orbital buffer to apply. I go one step further and after an application of this I also apply a coat of New Finish car polish. When you're finished the gel coat will look like new. I'll typically do this process every other year.
Gunny Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Rio View Post
I found this to work very well.
Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover
Agree, this works very well. My neighbor used it on his boat and got excellent results.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2013 2101FBS in Yellow. I was hoping to just pay someone to buff and wax. I took the trailer to one of those Brazilian Wax shops in the mall near my and they laughed at me.....oh well.
przero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hello All,

I bought some One Step Compound and tried it by hand, didn't do a thing. Had some old Turtle Wax Compound (Course), didn't work either. Maybe cause it was 25 years old.

What's a good inexpensive polisher option for fiberglass, Orbital or Random Orbital. Is speed important.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Onestep Compound.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	182351  
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I use this from Harbor Freight. Its small, but allows for detailing around things. I also purchased a second battery so I don't have to wait between charges. Works like a champ.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-co...kit-64479.html

Use this with that Meguiars and you you'll be happy.
Gunny Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Good UV Wax Needed

I spent hours last spring getting the oxidization removed. I polished afterwards and then applied a coat of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax - Long-Lasting Ceramic Protection.

Didn't work worth s**t at preventing the oxidization from returning short term.

Any Ideas as to what wax will prevent oxidization from returning in short term on our dark gelcoat finishes?
Old 09-28-2022, 08:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Look into Poly Glow but before you apply any of the actual poly glow… You MUST use the poly ox and Poly prep. I used the poly ox with the included handled scrubber and the scotch brite type scrubber to get all my oxidation off. It may take 3-4 times going over the bad spots or pretty much whole camper for these heavy oxidized gel coats.. I maybe have 30-40 hours in mine but I let it get to bad before I figured out what would work.. I paid people to buff it out and wax it. Didn’t hold up or even look half as good as this turned out… Once you get ALL the oxidation off with the poly ox… then start applying the PoLY Glow … prob around 6 coats of poly glow but maybe a couple more to get the bright shine you never thought you would get back out. We have been truly shocked what it did for ours
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C617BCC3-4E87-48A9-A059-3B8CA8AE273D.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	804.7 KB
ID:	184250  
Npeters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:08 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npeters7 View Post
Look into Poly Glow but before you apply any of the actual poly glow… You MUST use the poly ox and Poly prep. I used the poly ox with the included handled scrubber and the scotch brite type scrubber to get all my oxidation off. It may take 3-4 times going over the bad spots or pretty much whole camper for these heavy oxidized gel coats.. I maybe have 30-40 hours in mine but I let it get to bad before I figured out what would work.. I paid people to buff it out and wax it. Didn’t hold up or even look half as good as this turned out… Once you get ALL the oxidation off with the poly ox… then start applying the PoLY Glow … prob around 6 coats of poly glow but maybe a couple more to get the bright shine you never thought you would get back out. We have been truly shocked what it did for ours
That looks very nice, I can imagine what it looked like prior to. Great Job.

How long has the Poly Glow been holding up?

I've got all the oxidization off i think, I hit the whole trailer again with the buffer and 3m Heavy Duty, Meguire's Polish and then One step Compound. It was much easier and quicker this time as I did a thorough job in the spring.

Will see if the Poly product is available here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Post Polish.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	184251  
Old 09-28-2022, 09:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Looks good. I love the different colored gel coats .. don’t see them very often..

You can order poly glow kit online.

Mine is on first year and going strong but I will reapply another coat or two of poly glow in spring as per instructions for upkeep… loving this shine
Old 09-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Looks good. I love the different colored gel coats .. don’t see them very often..

You can order poly glow kit online.

Mine is on first year and going strong but I will reapply another coat or two of poly glow in spring as per instructions for upkeep… loving this shine
How much poli prep did you use on a trailer that size and how much poli glow did it take to apply 6 coats?

Did you still use the poli oz even though you cleaned it up by buffing prior?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220630_150929.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	184253  
Old 09-29-2022, 05:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

If you just spent a lot of time buffing and waxing. I would wait until it’s time to redo and then spend the time doing the whole prep work for the poly glow. Only reason I say that is, I believe the poly prep is designed to remove all the wax and compound buildup. believe it or not….I washed the camper this spring and it’s looked ok on entry side just splotchy oxidation but back was horrible.. I went over with poly prep and I went out after it dried and it looked worse than when it was washed.. I think the wax, compound, polished can “hide” the oxidation to make the appearance look nice, but once you start you will see the areas that are worse than others and work them to an even color.. I meant to take pictures along the way but I didn’t have a lot of hope once I seen what I did with the poly prep… once I seen the poly ox really taking it off I was getting more hope. Once you are done completely getting oxidation off. I put a few coats of poly glow on before it got dark. The next day I went out and it looked a little streaky but once you get more coats it evens out. The trick is thin coats that dry fairly quick and then keep reapplying coats until you get the shine you want

I used one kit for my camper and still have some of everything left over
Old 09-29-2022, 05:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Here is one pic of when I first applied 1-2 coats on side door… you can see around the trim where there is still some white oxidation that I had to remove some before I put poly glow on it. The red is duller but uniform mostly, other than the white in corner areas I had to redo after pic, this is what the red looked like before I applied the poly glow

Sorry for all the shadows. Kinda deceiving

The other pic is of back with a few coats on and the side has none
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	325AEAE7-01C4-45EB-BB3A-2FE660B48A01.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	184256   Click image for larger version

Name:	A63FE11E-9D06-4441-89D0-2038A690E7E8.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	184257  

Old 09-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Here is one pic of when I first applied 1-2 coats on side door… you can see around the trim where there is still some white oxidation that I had to remove some before I put poly glow on it. The red is duller but uniform mostly, other than the white in corner areas I had to redo after pic, this is what the red looked like before I applied the poly glow

Sorry for all the shadows. Kinda deceiving

The other pic is of back with a few coats on and the side has none
I know exactly what you had to deal with, pictures don't show how good/bad it can be. My blue looked exactly the same last spring. The previous owner tried to wax out the door side and came out streaky and blotchy and did nothing for the oxidization. It took me hours, hours and more hours to get rid of the visible oxidization. Attached is the pre and post buff rear and door wall.

Watching the Poli Video's I will have to wait till spring as it's getting too cold in British Columbia to apply Poli Glow. This current quick buff and wax is to get me through winter storage. Must admit the effort put in April/May made for easy clean up here in Sept. The Winter cover should hold me over till spring

I'm looking forward to see how much oxidization is not visible and the extra shine possible.

Will you have to apply Poli Prep again in the spring before adding spring coats of Poli Glow?

Thank You Very Much for your feedback, very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear Wall Pre Buff.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	184266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Wall Post Buff.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	184267  

Name:	Door Side Pre Buff.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	184268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Side Post Buff.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	184269  

Old 09-30-2022, 07:44 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I'd recommend looking into clear coating the entire trailer. I've used this product most recently on the grille / front bumper of my 2001 F-150 and got pretty close to professional results.

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-Gl...0W2D83K2&psc=1

Preparation is the key. Sand with 600 grit to remove the oxidation and 90% Iso alcohol for the final cleaning.

Wait for a low humidity, windless day to spray. Wouldn't hurt to get a plastic panel to practice on. There are plenty of Utube videos out there.

Once you're done, you'll never have to buff again. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2022, 12:18 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I took a couple pictures this morning. Looking straight on at 10 - 15 feet away it looks well improved, not great. Come within 3 feet and look from an angle you see a smearing effect. Not quite visible from the opposite direction (150deg). The more buffing I do tends to move it around, is there a possibility of over working the gel coat.

NPeters7, were you seeing any of this along your way and what step removed (Ox or prep)?

With the Poli Glow step, I'm concerned with the streaking that is possible after application. Did you experience this at all?

Thanks,

Lyle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Nose.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	184276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	184277  

Name:	Slide rear Panel.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	184278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	184279  

Old 09-30-2022, 04:33 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

This is what the door side has finally come to look like. The picture was taken standing 5 feet back with my truck 6 feet back. I'm pressed I can see the truck and myself in the gloss of the trailer.

It took a lot of work and attached are the products used.

I'm hoping maybe the Poli Glow or any typical Gel Coat Restorer will provide the same or better results, easier and less time consuming and last longer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Auto_Gym_Detailer[1].jpg
Views:	35
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	184281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Product_List[1].jpg
Views:	51
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	184282