Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #81
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
Sounds like you don’t have one, ours has one but it hangs out the bottom of the controller reporting ambient pass through temperature.
You mean that thing? Yep, we have one too. There it is!

I wonder if I'm actually supposed to plug it into the Temp port there. Makes sense. Looks like it's *supposed* to work, but we know how that goes. hah.

edit: wait, if I plug it in, then I'll be feeding the controller the ambient temperature of the passthrough compartment, not the actual battery itself. and as you mentioned, this would probably throw the whole thing for a loop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	183936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	183937  

Old 08-24-2022, 10:08 PM   #82
Winnebago Owner

Battery Temp probe connections

Quote:
wait, if I plug it in, then I'll be feeding the controller the ambient temperature of the passthrough compartment, not the actual battery itself. and as you mentioned, this would probably throw the whole thing for a loop.
Who knows what the SW does when it doesn’t have the battery’s temp for it algorithm? Once I updated parameters per GoPower recommendations the charging cycles were precisely inline with their description of the expected behavior. I suspect with better knowledge of the actual battery temperature it would be more efficient. And back to the battery shut down we experienced a week or so ago, that I speculated was in response to an over-temperature event, I’m now thinking it might be an overcharge event, with the Charger thinking the cooler battery could take more charge.

At any rate, the GoPower thermal probe cable length is about 6 1/2 ft so kinda a reach for diagonally up and over to the battery. And I don't know where or how to attach it.
1st 2 min of this video describe a potential problem with temp probes in general. Note: video is from April 2018

-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #83
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Who knows what the SW does when it doesn’t have the battery’s temp for it algorithm? Once I updated parameters per GoPower recommendations the charging cycles were precisely inline with their description of the expected behavior. I suspect with better knowledge of the actual battery temperature it would be more efficient. And back to the battery shut down we experienced a week or so ago, that I speculated was in response to an over-temperature event, I’m now thinking it might be an overcharge event, with the Charger thinking the cooler battery could take more charge.

At any rate, the GoPower thermal probe cable length is about 6 1/2 ft so kinda a reach for diagonally up and over to the battery. And I don't know where or how to attach it.
1st 2 min of this video describe a potential problem with temp probes in general. Note: video is from April 2018

-steve

with a lifepo4 battery, which are supposed to be great in higher temperatures, I wonder if you need one at all or if the internal BMS will suffice. not sure. it's a new area for me and I haven't read anything definitive one way or the other. this is a whole new hobby! (job? lol)

this morning we went outside and our battery was at 10% after it was 37% last night. It was HOT in the trailer yesterday and I think the fridge was workin overtime especially since we put some stuff in it. I was going to plug it in but we have some folks that wander the streets and an RV cable absolutely will get stolen, so I waited until this morning. I hope I wasn't too late. fridge seems that it kept its temperature and as mentioned, there was still some battery life.

but even at 10%, the slide out, lights, etc won't work. once I plugged it in, everything works fine. that's a big reason we're going to tote the Honda generator with us on trips, so we don't get stuck like that.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingMedics View Post
also a little strange that the existing 2 x 190w solar panels aren't getting more than 100w today.
This is super common for roof top solar. I have 300w and routinely see 80w on what seems like a pretty sunny day.

My Victron smartphone app shows "Peak Watts" seen by the 3-panels on a given day. It's not a cumulative number, though that is a separate item shown on the controller. It's not unusual for the most watts seen on a given day is 160w to 180w I check to this Peak number often to insure that nothing has come unplugged on the roof - when I see over 205w Peak on a day then I know that all 3-100w panels are connected.

Remember, solar panel output is highly variable and dependent on your location in the world, your location in your campground, your location among trees, buildings and other shade producing obstructions. AND, the time of year, the time of day, the weather, clouds, and even the amount of dust and dirt on your panels.

Sit and watch your panel's output and you'll see the output will change constantly.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #85
Winnebago Owner

Check your Float and Recharge Voltage settings on the GoPower.
Recharge must be lower than Float. This is the voltage that triggers the cycle to Bulk charging. As I understand it the charge won’t come out of the fixed float voltage charge rate (and no optimized MPPT charging, which is where the temperatures come into play). May not be able to keep up with a higher discharge rate? Ours was “ok” sitting on the parking spot with only fridge and parasitic loads. But wasn’t getting to 100%
Old 08-25-2022, 01:26 PM   #86
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This is super common for roof top solar. I have 300w and routinely see 80w on what seems like a pretty sunny day.

M

Sit and watch your panel's output and you'll see the output will change constantly.
I guess they're more picky about angles than I thought. I just checked now when the sun is right overhead (it's a cloud free day here) and it's up to almost 200w with just the rooftop panels.

that's a relief.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:27 PM   #87
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Check your Float and Recharge Voltage settings on the GoPower.
Recharge must be lower than Float. This is the voltage that triggers the cycle to Bulk charging. As I understand it the charge won’t come out of the fixed float voltage charge rate (and no optimized MPPT charging, which is where the temperatures come into play). May not be able to keep up with a higher discharge rate? Ours was “ok” sitting on the parking spot with only fridge and parasitic loads. But wasn’t getting to 100%
That's why I was worried - I had corrected those parameters to what yours said and I worried I broke something.

but with just the rooftop panels, it's doing quite well today.

I just plugged in shore power to keep everything topped off. we're heading out of the house here in an hour or so.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:47 AM   #88
Winnebago Camper

I tried the GoPower setting changes (Li and 320) and my battery charged up quickly! I then went camping for a weekend to a full hookup site, so no power problems and battery was fully charged when I got back. I checked 3 days later and it was down to 66% with only the 12V fridge on the cool setting.

When I checked the GoPower settings, they had reset to Gel and 200 again. AARRGGHH!! It is a bit hot, so I turned on the AC for 30 minutes. The battery had dropped 56%.

I reset the settings again and will check again over the weekend.
AwkDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #89
Winnebago Owner

GoPower settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkDoctor View Post
I tried the GoPower setting changes (Li and 320) and my battery charged up quickly! I then went camping for a weekend to a full hookup site, so no power problems and battery was fully charged when I got back. I checked 3 days later and it was down to 66% with only the 12V fridge on the cool setting.

When I checked the GoPower settings, they had reset to Gel and 200 again. AARRGGHH!! It is a bit hot, so I turned on the AC for 30 minutes. The battery had dropped 56%.

I reset the settings again and will check again over the weekend.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f267/micro-minnie-flx-xantrex-go-power-parameters-363804-3.html#post3924166
Old 09-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #90
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkDoctor View Post
I checked 3 days later and it was down to 66% with only the 12V fridge on the cool setting.
I know you are saying the issue is your settings not being locked in correctly. But, until you have more experience don't be surprised when your 12v fridge uses a lot of battery SOC even with solar panels. If you're going to store with the fridge on and the FLX not plugged in, check it often until you get a feel for what's happening in the real world.

I don't have an FLX, nor a 12v fridge - but I do have 400Ah of Lithium batteries, 300w of solar and a residential fridge. So, I have some similar experience. Certainly my 110v fridge uses a lot more power than your 12v which doesn't need the inverter to power it.

But, solar power is so variable and to an extent your fridge is also based on outside temps.

I'm not saying that your solar definitely can not keep up with your fridge, but until you learn that it can or can't you need to be on guard while you gain that real world experience.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #91
Winnebago Camper

I will definitely keep that in mind! Thanks!
AwkDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #92
Winnebago Owner

Configuration first!

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3924166

No way to assess baseline performance without establishing a configuration baseline.
And no way to know what the “correct” configuration nor who the authority is for such a baseline configuration.
And that includes a physical configuration.
Our Xantrex remote was not plugged in.
The GoPower! Solar charger thermal probe was/is not connected to the battery. Warning- the probe does NOT connected electrically to the battery.
Our big black power breaker on the electrical system box does nothing. (Coordinating with WTOW and dealer.)
Only after these are resolved can we hope to explore and compare the performance capabilities of the system. And the idiosyncrasies of weather and usage.

I’ve been trying to coral information, and I think we’re getting close, but it’s “peeling an onion” There is a significant amount of information contained in this, overly long, thread.

-steve
Old 09-06-2022, 09:55 AM   #93
Winnebago Owner

Anyone had issue with the Lithionics app can't find the battery? this happened couple days ago and can't seem to get the app to detect the battery, I tried for a bluetooth scanner and it seems to pick up the battery/bms , reinstall the app couple times, tried different phones and still couldn't detect.
Downytide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #94
Winnebago Owner

Is the battery “ON”? Blue LED illuminated?
Need to be fairly close to the trailer for bluetooth to pickup the signal.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:03 AM   #95
Winnebago Camper

I had to power off the blue LED light near the battery and then power up again. That fixed the app issue not finding the battery. Not sure why it worked as the battery is never officially off. It has nothing to do with the app itself is my point
naturopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #96
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturopath View Post
I had to power off the blue LED light near the battery and then power up again. That fixed the app issue not finding the battery. Not sure why it worked as the battery is never officially off. It has nothing to do with the app itself is my point
Hmmm, going to give that a try today, it's weird how it just dropped off the app like that.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #97
Winnebago Owner

Battery On/off

Quote:
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of what the button and breaker do. I have an inquiry in with WTOW and waiting on a shower freshwater recycle elbow for dealer to schedule an appt.
What I've observed is the breaker does nothing (doesn't Isolate loads from battery) and the 3 sec "off" press on the battery LED only turns off the Bluetooth connection. Lithionics seems to have changed their description of what the button does, or there are conflicts on their website.

My experience is identical with yours WRT the button "waking up" communications with the battery.

maddening.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:48 AM   #98
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Steve, those setting will not work as you found them. I'd assume you have only one Lithium setting for both the GoPower and the Xantrex - by the way the "boxes" are a GoPower Solar Charge Controller and a Xantrex Inverter.

I think you should call Winnebago Towables Customer Service (574) 825-8052 to get all the specific settings for your TT.

Perhaps someone here with a FLX that is all configured will chime in and provide the numbers.

But you should have 320ah of Lithium - I think is Lithionics brand.

Other than calling Winnebago you could call GoPower, Xantrex or Lithionics and get some info from them.
Go power should be on agm.
Xantrex should be on Lithium setting. Lipro. Xantrex needs to be on 320amp hrs also. 1st setting change to 20 on zantrex.
These are from Lithonics.
Go power on Lithium is not ideal but close to same setting as agm but they recommend agm.
realtytip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:53 AM   #99
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of what the button and breaker do. I have an inquiry in with WTOW and waiting on a shower freshwater recycle elbow for dealer to schedule an appt.
What I've observed is the breaker does nothing (doesn't Isolate loads from battery) and the 3 sec "off" press on the battery LED only turns off the Bluetooth connection. Lithionics seems to have changed their description of what the button does, or there are conflicts on their website.

My experience is identical with yours WRT the button "waking up" communications with the battery.

maddening.
From Lithonics. The button on Battery is also a breaker that shuts down when approx 10% left in battery.
At that time you can turn it Back on but need to be careful not to run battery all the way down. They said ir is like a reserve tank letting you know to be careful. Not good to totally deplete battery.
realtytip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #100
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It worked! the good ol on-off solution!