Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
SactoSteve, the blue button is the power switch for the battery and its systems as a whole. It completely shuts it down so there is nothing but a static state. When the battery is left on, it uses more power to manage the BMS, internal heaters, etc.
Yes, but what does that mean? And why is the bigass breaker there for “storage” mode?
The three second press shuts the system down. The battery is not powering anything. The breaker doesn’t move but you have no power anywhere. I’d like to know what it actually does.
Also after a fault the button wakes up the system.
One peculiarity is there is 12v, with the system off. but its “sneaking” through from the solar to the 12v fuse panel. Same when the breaker is thrown.

-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Batteries on solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
Yeah, it has heaters in with the cells… if it’s connected to shore power. Even then it’s range is only to -4. So, pull the battery or will leaving it on with solar (panels free of snow/ice/frost) be enough?

Lithionics told me it has to be stored above freezing if not connected to shore power. I did reach back out to see if solar is enough or does it need legit juice. Waiting to hear back on that point.

Winnebago on the other hand, after multiple attempts via phone got no one to take the call. 2 hours on hold today for it to go from next in line to 2 callers ahead of me to “we’re having system issues, call back later”. Awaiting response via email.
Regarding solar for winter batteries: I use a single go power folding unit 120 watts. Deployed at all times. Maintains 6v golf cart batt no problem.
Solar system, go power travel panels, do a great job keeping my 6 v golf cart batteries up at minus zero temps. I am certain this is light
years behind for all of you who have moved up to lithium. I am going to do it. It just has its pitfalls as I have discovered here ,and adds more stuff to do. One thing about where you might put lithium batts. The 2108 D'S has space on both left and right forward bulkheads. I am using one side now for inverter, control unit and solar entry. That space might hold some additional battery space for batteries. And that is where factory wires for a roof born panel emerge at the right front bulkhead. Thanks for this thread's member comments. Best source of the info we want.
woodsyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:49 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

New storage procedure from Lithionics?

This looks new? Rev.7 https://lithionicsbattery.com/wp-con...Rev-07-WEB.pdf

Still damn confusing

Will it be “winter conditions”? Yes (winter conditions not defined. Presumably lower than the normal operating range?)
Do you have internal heater? Yes
=> leave system ON, solar on, shore power connected, (presumably Xantrex on)
Also mentions the Lithionics charger that Speedbump ,entioned.

This seems to imply that the battery can take care of itself if its on and, presumably, within nominal operating parameters.

They seem to be going away from the <1 mo storage timeframe except for defining a greater operating range for this time period.

Will it be “winter conditions”? No
Up to 3 mo => charge to 100%, turn the battery off via “the On/Off/Storage switch” (I assume thats the LED button?) or does Storage mean the breaker? (Probably means both LED and Breaker for the FLX) Keep in an environments IAW storage specs.

Long Term Storage
>3 months, not to exceed 6 months
=> Reduce the battery SOC to 3.3V/cell which is 50% ±10% SOC. (works out to battery 3.2 V per accompanying chart for FLX),

Turn the battery OFF via the On/Off/Storage switch.,

Storage Temperature: the battery must be maintained ABOVE freezing temperatures (>32F/0C).

Every 6 months, you must charge the battery to 100% SOC, then discharge the battery to RVC, then charge it back to 50% ±10% SOC. This cycle from full to reserve then up to the storage VOLTAGE is important for long life.

This is similar to the 3rd hand info passed along to me via WTOW from Lithionics. But its good to see it published (I never saw Revs 1 - 6)

If I’m miss-interpreting anything, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
-steve
Old 03-03-2023, 10:17 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Hello!

Thanks again for all of your information!!

In Colorado.....I have been testing the "solar trickle charger". My battery is on. We have had some really cold weeks here, but in Colorado, the sun shines most of the time!

My rig is stored outside. I check on it weekly. The lowest temperature reading in the battery logs is: 37F. I checked it on a day when it was -10F outside, and the battery temp reading was 39F.

The battery has stayed between 70% and 100% charged during the snow storms, and has recharged to 100% after it stops snowing and the sun comes out.

Soo.....so far.....so good.

Just my two cents. I hope this helps people!!

Keith
2022 2108TB FLX
Minnie Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Impressive

That seems like pretty impressive performance from the FLX system.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
-steve
Old 03-03-2023, 12:21 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Honu View Post
Hello!

Thanks again for all of your information!!

In Colorado.....I have been testing the "solar trickle charger". My battery is on. We have had some really cold weeks here, but in Colorado, the sun shines most of the time!

My rig is stored outside. I check on it weekly. The lowest temperature reading in the battery logs is: 37F. I checked it on a day when it was -10F outside, and the battery temp reading was 39F.

The battery has stayed between 70% and 100% charged during the snow storms, and has recharged to 100% after it stops snowing and the sun comes out.

Soo.....so far.....so good.

Just my two cents. I hope this helps people!!

Keith
2022 2108TB FLX
That actually is really helpful. If the battery is charged it should maintain temps via the battery heaters so that makes sense. Only problem in the Midwest is that most of our winters days seem to favor grey and cloudy. You would think you were in London or something.

My next question though is what impact does it have on overall battery life? Though year round users further south would still be using it all year.

Need more info!
Speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I just wanted to add another FLX package inverter matter that I discovered this week. I have to set my Xantrex breaker rating at 15 Amps via the Xantrex app whenever I am plugged into 120volts at home or with my small 2000 watt genny, otherwise just the AC will trip either my home GFI or the genny overload. This week, after leaving full hookups, I set the Xantrex back from 30 to 15 amps knowing that I wouldn’t be plugging in again until we got home. I discovered at a rest stop that doing this also limits the max load of the Xantrex on battery power to 15 amps (not just grid). So, it ran the AC fine but when I simultaneously tried to run the microwave, it tripped the Xantrex. After fumbling with numerous resets, I set the Xantrex back to 30 amps but the system still couldn’t run the AC and Micro simultaneously, which it normally has no problem doing on battery alone. Anyways, I found the blue battery light to be rapid flashing, so I shut the battery off and cycled the breaker and everything worked again. Bottom line, I guess the battery has it’s own safety protocol as it went into low power mode of some sort and had to be shut down like this in order to get going again. So, if you find yourself in a similar situation with the Xantrex going in an endless loop of trying to restart, you might double check your breaker rating setting and your battery light status.
Rbarbot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:29 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Xantrex going in an endless loop of trying to restart, you might double check your breaker rating setting and your battery light status.
Just came out of Winter Shore power mode and forgot to do this! So Timely reminder, thanks.
Just updated my deWinterize checklist.;-)
Old 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbarbot2 View Post
So, if you find yourself in a similar situation with the Xantrex going in an endless loop of trying to restart, you might double check your breaker rating setting and your battery light status.
This is something that we encountered as well. The breaker itself had tripped. Fortunately an easy fix but yes, definitely something to keep in mind. Check in that panel for blinking!
Old 04-15-2023, 02:20 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Hey speedbump, love your videos.

Fellas, be careful when taking the flx out of storage I stored mine indoor this winter , followed the procedure, it was 100% full when shut off, the storage facility has heat so never went below freezing.

Took the trailer out and everything was fine until 20mins in, checked battery, checked the solar, except the xantrex panel kept beeping, then boof, inverter was smoking, quickly shut everything off and now waiting for service dept to open on Monday, I had open all the panels and the inverter smells like electric fire, to say I'm bit bummed would be an understatement.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:34 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Really interested to hear root cause, but doubtful we will.

-steve
Old 04-16-2023, 09:11 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

The lithonic app showed everything was normal, go power app showed was normal, xantrex app show all was well, but the panel kept beeping with error, it happened so quickly that I couldn't record the code, the inverter fan suddenly went full speed then just smoke.

The trailer was not plugged in so for sure I know wasn't an issue with the power source.

I hope dealer will be able to replace this quickly, if not I guess I'll have to deal with xantrex
Old 04-16-2023, 10:52 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downytide View Post
I hope dealer will be able to replace this quickly, if not I guess I'll have to deal with xantrex
To each his own, but I would change your statement to be "I hope xantrex will be able to replace this quickly, if not I guess I'll have to deal with the dealer."

I my experience dealers want to sell rvs. Once sold they hope they never see them again. And their employees don't know a FLX component from a flux capacitor. Xantrex will honor your warranty and know exactly what you need, how to troubleshoot it and be able to supply you with a replacement if that's what you need.

The dealer? He may be able to get your TT into his shop in a month or so, then stumble around trying to figure out what the problem is and then wait a few weeks for "authorization" to repair the system. Then take another few weeks to attempt to repair it.

I guess what I'm saying is... start with Xantrex. Then if that doesn't work contact a dealer.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:31 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Good call, I hope the battery didn't get damage in the process.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:47 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Just providing some updates:

- Xantrex is hard to get hold of, I was on hold for more than an hour when they hung up, tried call back but got message say it's outside of office hours, so I submit email tickets.

- Dealer was actually faster, they are actively working on finding the next step.

I attached photos of the front control panel where you can see the smoke/flame, thankfully the trailer didn't smell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 12.34.20 PM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	185697   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 12.38.02 PM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	185698