Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie Flx and the Ford Powerboost F150

Anyone have experience with using the Powerboost as a power source for your MM Flx?
JohnnyD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No, but I use the PB with my non FLX Micro Minnie with a 190 watt panel. Not sure why it would be any different. Plug and play.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

So the PB is a beautiful option.

There is one major challenge with the Flx. Both the Flx and the PB have inverters. When I first started using the PB to provide "shore power" to the Flx I noticed strange power usage numbers. Almost double what you might expect as a draw from the suite of technical appliances (air conditioning, lights, microwave, etc.) that were supposedly developed to operate on very low energy.

So, of course, I talked to our dealer's service department. They said the best way to use the PB and avoid the inverter conflict was to turn off the inverter in the camper. Trouble seems to be that when you do that you stop all AC and DC charging of the battery.

Yes, the PB can power your Flx. Yes it will extend your time a bit in the back country. But no, it seems you can't charge your batteries with the available 30 amp service at the same time you're powering your camper with the PB.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It didn’t occur to me there could be an inverter conflict. Have you ever plugged into a non PB source of power? Pedestal or gas generator? Is that any different?
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

FLX Xantrex configuration options

I have no familiarity with the Ford Power Boost, but I suspect your situation has tie-ins with this discussion https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3923056

Quote:
One of the things I discovered at home was that the Xantrex unit lets you specify the rating of the breaker you're plugged into for shore power. By default it was at 30 amps, which popped the home breakers and overloaded the generator. Dialing it down to 15 amps allowed both the wall circuit and the generator (not at the same time, I tested them separate) to charge the battery. I was able to use the AC while on battery as well as the microwave, although one time it did trip the protection circuit. This tripped the main breaker up front and I didn't realize that at the time. The Xantrex will bounce itself if there's a low battery condition and will display an error.
-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well now the ongoing saga continues...

Turns out we have not plugged into a non-PB source. Would be interesting to try.

And thanks Steve. I have read your thread.

Here's what I think I know today:

There may not be any inverter conflict. Remember, that was the advice/direction given by my "trusted" Winnebago dealership source. Guess I'm finding out that they're as challenged by the new technology and lack of documentation as everyone else. And guess it's turning out to be a trial and error world.

So after trying advice from Joe at "Joe's Travels" on YouTube, I may have found the answer. I have adjusted the charge current via the Xantrex app to 90V when using the PB as a power source. Everyone has since calmed down and the charging side is working fine. I will now test the power use side by running many of the Flx's features today and report back.

It would be wonderful if the promises of the Flx and those of the PB all work in harmony! It would seriously extend the boondocking time of the rig here in the Rocky Mountains with only water tank size being a limiting factor. If we're careful about water use, I'd say, two weeks in the back country is an achievable goal.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just wanted to clarify that quote was from RovingMedics post. I should have attributed more clearly.
We are all learning the capabilities and limitations. ;-)

-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, power